The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Subban | D

X-Man

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Switch him to wing, trade away all the other RHDs, fan-fundraiser to buy the team from the Aqualinis and hire Subban's dad as GM and coach, petition the league to limit the height of players to 5'10... whatever it takes to get Subban onto the Canucks. 

This "merit" and earning-your-spot stuff is nonsense; it's so 1900s.  Subban is entitled to the NHL, same as any snowflake is entitled to kittens and Play-doh in their safe space.

It worked great for Virtanen. Let's just do the same with Subban!

Who needs well-developed prospects?

On 7/23/2017 at 11:50 PM, Chip Kelly said:

So does your boy Brendan Guance there... 0 goals c'mon man throw out your fancy pants stats and he looks like just another grinder.

Can't believe so many people think seeing him in the AHL with lesser talent is enough to project what he will be in the NHL.

Let him play a couple games in pre season and then the viewers and paying fans can judge if he should be on the team or not based on their reaction to his play in those games.

Really? ... At least he can play defence - and at the NHL level. His offence was pretty good in the AHL too, but that wasn't what got him the job in the NHL.

And he'll get some time in preseason and then Benning will decide if he makes the team or not. The fans have no say, even if they might try and form an opinion based on a very small sample size.

12 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Really? ... At least he can play defence - and at the NHL level. His offence was pretty good in the AHL too, but that wasn't what got him the job in the NHL.

And he'll get some time in preseason and then Benning will decide if he makes the team or not. The fans have no say, even if they might try and form an opinion based on a very small sample size.

The fans have a say with their tv viewership and wallet. Create enough pressure in a big market and the ownership will have to listen eventually.

I don't care if he can play d. The main job for a forward is to score goals. If you rip on Subban for being a rover and not able to play d like a d man should then Brendan Guance deserves the same blame its only fair.

If Subban has a good preseason fans will be clamoring for him to make the team and it will put pressure on the organization for them to play him since they are so desperate for any offensive contribution from the back end.

21 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

The fans have a say with their tv viewership and wallet. Create enough pressure in a big market and the ownership will have to listen eventually.

I don't care if he can play d. The main job for a forward is to score goals. If you rip on Subban for being a rover and not able to play d like a d man should then Brendan Guance deserves the same blame its only fair.

If Subban has a good preseason fans will be clamoring for him to make the team and it will put pressure on the organization for them to play him since they are so desperate for any offensive contribution from the back end.

Except the fanbase is not a borg collective that all thinks the same thing. If this were the case, these forums would be boring as everyone would have the same opinion.

There's not going to be pressure put on management from 1 prospect out of many others that we have in our prospect pool. Look at the rankings we have for our own prospect pool currently being done in the Canucks section of the forum. He's still not been selected after #11. We're not even talking about someone like Boeser or Juolevi, so why would fans put pressure in the first place?

5 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Except the fanbase is not a borg collective that all thinks the same thing. If this were the case, these forums would be boring as everyone would have the same opinion.

There's not going to be pressure put on management from 1 prospect out of many others that we have in our prospect pool. Look at the rankings we have for our own prospect pool currently being done in the Canucks section of the forum. He's still not been selected after #11. We're not even talking about someone like Boeser or Juolevi, so why would fans put pressure in the first place?

The desire to see an exciting player?

46 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Watch him play in the league he is in then.  

Why water down your own team?  

The kid currently doesn't have it.  

Why not get excited about the kids that have a real NHL chance?  

43 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

He is not in the top dozen of the Canucks best prospects, according to the CDC prospect popularity thread. There are a whole bunch of prospects that I am looking forward to seeing in the preseason. Subban is one of them, but he is way down the list for me and I suspect the majority of fans feel the same way.

15 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Watch him play in the league he is in then.  

Why water down your own team?  

The kid currently doesn't have it.  

Why not get excited about the kids that have a real NHL chance?  

Well, I wouldn't go out of the way to say he "doesn't have it". He did have the highest number of points of all defensemen on the team at least. He only had 10 less points than Grenier and Valk who both got signed by Florida after we didn't want them.... and those 2 are forwards. lol

However, he does need a lot of work and is obviously not ready, which is what I'm sure you're implying anyway.

42 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Well, I wouldn't go out of the way to say he "doesn't have it". He did have the highest number of points of all defensemen on the team at least. He only had 10 less points than Grenier and Valk who both got signed by Florida after we didn't want them.... and those 2 are forwards. lol

However, he does need a lot of work and is obviously not ready, which is what I'm sure you're implying anyway.

He could get it.  Doesn't currently tho.  

I really hope he figures his stuff out, because he does bring an element we just don't have, but I am unwilling to watch the same garbage I watched in the AHL all last season from him. 

1 hour ago, drummerboy said:

He could get it.  Doesn't currently tho.  

I really hope he figures his stuff out, because he does bring an element we just don't have, but I am unwilling to watch the same garbage I watched in the AHL all last season from him. 

I actually really enjoyed watching him last season.  When he's got the puck he can be dynamic, that's indisputable.  

On July 24, 2017 at 5:18 PM, J.R. said:

He's 22 not 27. He hasn't earned an opportunity YET. That does not mean he will not get a chance in due time.

F'ing millennials.

The fact that Subban is 22, in his second year as a pro and putting up great offensive numbers compare to his counter-parts, should have warrant a call up at the end of last season when games meant nothing. Many teams, not just in hockey, use this period to get a feel of their prospects.

So, tell me why exactly does Subban need to be "ready" or earn a spot on the team, during the time when the team was fighting for nothing, beside a lottery pick? 

4 hours ago, shiznak said:

The fact that Subban is 22, in his second year as a pro and putting up great offensive numbers compare to his counter-parts, should have warrant a call up at the end of last season when games meant nothing. Many teams, not just in hockey, use this period to get a feel of their prospects.

So, tell me why exactly does Subban need to be "ready" or earn a spot on the team, during the time when the team was fighting for nothing, beside a lottery pick? 

The answer is very simple.

If you are trying to develop a DEFENDER you don't reward him for NOT developing as a DEFENDER.

Subban will either "get this" or he won't. He went down to watch Ellis making all the right noises (don't they all?) so let's see what he has learned before rewarding him for missing his goal.

8 hours ago, shiznak said:

4 hours ago, alfstonker said:

The answer is very simple.

If you are trying to develop a DEFENDER you don't reward him for NOT developing as a DEFENDER.

Subban will either "get this" or he won't. He went down to watch Ellis making all the right noises (don't they all?) so let's see what he has learned before rewarding him for missing his goal.

This. 

They already have a 'feel' for him. That 'feel' is: not ready. 

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

This. 

They already have a 'feel' for him. That 'feel' is: not ready. 

The Subban talk thread must actually be a symbolic existential debate of some kind. It can't be about hockey, Jordan isn't ready yet. 

21 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

The Subban talk thread must actually be a symbolic existential debate of some kind. It can't be about hockey, Jordan isn't ready yet. 

I would have thought it was a millennials vs non-millennials point of view but it seems there's even a few non-millennials calling for an undersized , clearly not fully developed, late round pick to be thrown in to the deep end before he's learned to tread water, as though he's an olympic swimmer.

Archived