The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Subban | D

X-Man

24 minutes ago, J.R. said:

He's shown in camps/preseasons past that he's skilled offensively but still has parts of his game he needs to develop (making reads, positioning, play in his own end etc).

SO how about - now stay with me here for 30 seconds - we let him continue to develop and see what we have in him, in due time?

No.  Why would we do that?   

He is good at one thing.  That is good enough.   It's just the NHL. There are better leagues out there.  

He doesn't need to play defence.  

He can play rover, while Tanev plays janitor. 

Development is for chumps. 

9 hours ago, canucksnihilist said:

Is there a chance - stay with me for 30 seconds - as more probably isn't worth it - just a chance, that if Subban is given a pre season game he shows that he deserves a decent shot?

It takes more than one preseason game to make an NHL team. But yes, to be absolutely pedantic about it, anyone playing any minutes in the preseason could earn a spot.

On 4/30/2017 at 5:20 PM, Rush17 said:

Jordan Subban,...... wahtttt lol

If he isn't traded this summer I hope he makes the team next year.  Kid is a G lol.  He has progressed quite nicely this season. He seems a lot more calm with the puck on the point.  His movement from side to side is better and he just looks a lot better all around in this package.  Obviously it doesn't show any decencies in his game but if he can progress this off season physically and is ready to apply himself to the defensive game - man this kid looks good lol.  PK's comments about his bro being better then him might not be an exaggeration :D  ok maybe not as good as pk but he looks darn close at this point in his career :D lol

I think it would be A shame to trade him before he even plays an NHL game. We have no idea how good or bad he could be. Some people on here like to think they can peer into the future and layout the rest of his career. I think those guys just love to hear themselves talk. 

One guy said since we have Stecher Subban is expendable. IMO that is just dumb Stech had AN ok rookie season. And he might improve even more this year. He might not. Subban for all we know is better just needs a god damn chance 

I have a lot of faith in gm jb I don;t think he trades him for nothing, cause that's what he's worth right now. Instead, hold on to him Maybe he takes Tanevs spot Have all small guys on the right matched with beasts on the left lol. Except guddy

2 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Subby on the slide!!  poor subby taking a hit on the prospect rankings concenus.  hope that serves as good motivation if he does randomly read these forums.

good luck subby!  

Something to note -- it was just one year ago that many, including Linden, considered Subban as possibly our 4th best prospect.  Now he's not even top 10, and after a decent season.

On 7/21/2017 at 10:55 PM, elvis15 said:

Or he'll score a goal against a half-AHL team and fans will blow their top.

Don't get me wrong, I want to see him succeed, but it's true that he's got a way to go.

So does your boy Brendan Guance there... 0 goals c'mon man throw out your fancy pants stats and he looks like just another grinder.

Can't believe so many people think seeing him in the AHL with lesser talent is enough to project what he will be in the NHL.

Let him play a couple games in pre season and then the viewers and paying fans can judge if he should be on the team or not based on their reaction to his play in those games.

If were not going to use him I'd like to see him go to Detroit.He can be a good 3-4 line possession forward. And a bottom 6 scoring contributor.Our bottom 6 has been crap for years but all the plugs we've been through get the benefit of the doubt it seems. 

Subban should go to a less critical market. Detroit would be a good fit I think. 

Especially since we've already developed him some.

3rd rounder maybe  for a eastern conference team .

I was harping at the end of last season, that Subban should have gotten some playing time at the NHL level, when games meant nothing. Worse comes to worst, he doesn't help our powerplay, doesn't produce any offense, he struggles immensely and we lose more games that would gives as a higher chance in the lottery. 

This mumbo-jumbo about him being develope properly is complete hogwash. We're not talking about a highly touted prospect who has to refine, who absolutely needs to be successful at the NHL level. He's a 4th round draft pick, who no one is banking on him to be a mainstay at the NHL. So, why not give him the opportunity to see what he can do offensively, with his talent. Especially when this team, is entering a rebuild phase. 

One thing's for sure, watching him play would be a lot more entertaining and I'd rather watch entertaining hockey despite losing than what we had to go through the past 4 seasons.

2 hours ago, shiznak said:

I was harping at the end of last season, that Subban should have gotten some playing time at the NHL level, when games meant nothing. Worse comes to worst, he doesn't help our powerplay, doesn't produce any offense, he struggles immensely and we lose more games that would gives as a higher chance in the lottery. 

This mumbo-jumbo about him being develope properly is complete hogwash. We're not talking about a highly touted prospect who has to refine, who absolutely needs to be successful at the NHL level. He's a 4th round draft pick, who no one is banking on him to be a mainstay at the NHL. So, why not give him the opportunity to see what he can do offensively, with his talent. Especially when this team, is entering a rebuild phase. 

One thing's for sure, watching him play would be a lot more entertaining and I'd rather watch entertaining hockey despite losing than what we had to go through the past 4 seasons.

Perhaps because it's not about you

They're trying to develop Subban in to an NHL player (if possible), not cater to your whims. 

I wonder sometimes whether JS may not be the most coachable player in the system?  If he's not working hard to play to the coaches system he's not likely going to get a sniff of the NHL regardless of how offensively talented he might be because that is not nor should ever be rewarded.  AHL is a developmental league and first and foremost players should be learning the discipline of doing what the coaching staff tells them to do.  Unless one is a generational talent that can be a gamechanger every time they have the puck, that's reality.  Given how fast he's been cut from the main training camp two years in a row I have to believe it's not just what we see on the ice. 

That's the missing piece for the fans as we have no way of knowing what occurs in the dressing room/off the ice.  I trust that the coaching and management staff recognize that JS has talent, but that there are other things holding him back from making it to the NHL.  

Just speculation on my part.  

56 minutes ago, skategal said:

I wonder sometimes whether JS may not be the most coachable player in the system?  If he's not working hard to play to the coaches system he's not likely going to get a sniff of the NHL regardless of how offensively talented he might be because that is not nor should ever be rewarded.  AHL is a developmental league and first and foremost players should be learning the discipline of doing what the coaching staff tells them to do.  Unless one is a generational talent that can be a gamechanger every time they have the puck, that's reality.  Given how fast he's been cut from the main training camp two years in a row I have to believe it's not just what we see on the ice. 

That's the missing piece for the fans as we have no way of knowing what occurs in the dressing room/off the ice.  I trust that the coaching and management staff recognize that JS has talent, but that there are other things holding him back from making it to the NHL.  

Just speculation on my part.  

Your speculation is very accurate.   

The issues we have been hearing about JS for the last couple years are still the exact same.  

Yeah, he is small and gets pushed around like a kid out there, but that isn't even his biggest problem.  

Its between the ears.  

When you have your coach, NHL coach, NHL GM, NHL prez, all tell you that your dgame needs to improve massively, then you go out and have another season trying to play rover, you just aren't listening, and it isn't going to happen for you. 

I watched all but 4 Utica games this year.  

Every single game there were at least a handful of times where you see JS drifting back into the play, getting caught staring at the puck, straight up not checking his man, making terrible pinches, etc.....

people who watch clips like to talk about how much he improved, but the Utica fans say much different.  

Bbbbbut he made the all star game!

the all star game with the players that are chosen by reporters who basically just look and point at the stats. 

I'm impressed.  

The kid has ALOT of work to do, and he keeps falling further behind in the depth chart. 

No. 

They will not change him to a winger.   

Nope.  Not gonna happen.

It's a stupid idea, it won't work, and he would only be further behind in the depth chart. 

I wish they would just trade trade or cut the poor kid.  

Im so sick of hearing these stat watchers who have no idea what they are actually talking about, go off on this kids "incredible" offensive talent.  

He was spoon fed PP time. 

McEneny had the same 5x5 goals while playing a much better d-game.  

Where is the love for this kid?

I got lots of love for McEneny and so did the Canucks, that is why he got called up before Subban, he deserved it.  Like you said he took over the number one role on the PP, even strength and played PK.  Jordan was a second pairing AHL D-man, and ultimately 2nd PP unit as well, who still had significant holes in his game at the end of the season.  This doesn't scream call up to me.   This year he is probably D-man number 10-12 or so on the club list Pedan, McEneny, Biega and Wiercioce (gonna take me a while to learn to spell that one) and possibly Brisebois and OJ if he stays up are on the list ahead of him for call ups or 7th-8th D Man in NHL.

Won't comment on coachability but he certainly seems to put in the work.  

Don't know how much we would be talking about this kid if his name wasn't Subban.  That being said, hopefully he puts it all together and turns into a great NHL D-Man for the Canucks.

3 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I got lots of love for McEneny and so did the Canucks, that is why he got called up before Subban, he deserved it.  Like you said he took over the number one role on the PP, even strength and played PK.  Jordan was a second pairing AHL D-man, and ultimately 2nd PP unit as well, who still had significant holes in his game at the end of the season.  This doesn't scream call up to me.   This year he is probably D-man number 10-12 or so on the club list Pedan, McEneny, Biega and Wiercioce (gonna take me a while to learn to spell that one) and possibly Brisebois and OJ if he stays up are on the list ahead of him for call ups or 7th-8th D Man in NHL.

Won't comment on coachability but he certainly seems to put in the work.  

Don't know how much we would be talking about this kid if his name wasn't Subban.  That being said, hopefully he puts it all together and turns into a great NHL D-Man for the Canucks.

Subban was called up before mceneny 

26 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

I wish they would just trade trade or cut the poor kid.  

Why do that? Has it really been so long that we developed a prospect, that we don't know what it should look like? This is the year. It has finally arrived. After this season Subban will require waivers and that's when that decision will be made. Same goes for Cassels and Virtanen. 

If Subban can't get regular season games this season under Green, then we'll know he isn't in the Canucks' plans.

At this point, we have no choice but to try to continue to develop him and hope he is able to hone his defensive game.  He's a long shot to be successful in the NHL and I believe his trade value is virtually worthless - so we might as well do what we can with him.

Even if he isn't deemed "ready", I'd still like to see him play a few games with the Canucks this season.  Perhaps if he is paired with someone defensively responsible they might make up for his shortcomings.  Unfortunately, I believe both he and Tanev are right handed shots - which is unfortunate since Tanev would be the prime candidate to cover for Subban.

3 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Even if he isn't deemed "ready", I'd still like to see him play a few games with the Canucks this season.  Perhaps if he is paired with someone defensively responsible they might make up for his shortcomings.  Unfortunately, I believe both he and Tanev are right handed shots - which is unfortunate since Tanev would be the prime candidate to cover for Subban.

This is what is wrong with people right here^^^^

AWFUL post.   

So the kid can't cut it as a dman in the AHL. 

Wont learn what he needs to learn. 

Isnt ready to play in the NHL. 

So let's bring him up anyway, when he doesn't deserve it, and ruin another players game by making him babysit. 

How the hell is that a good idea?

it is ridiculous.  

29 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Why do that? Has it really been so long that we developed a prospect, that we don't know what it should look like? This is the year. It has finally arrived. After this season Subban will require waivers and that's when that decision will be made. Same goes for Cassels and Virtanen. 

If Subban can't get regular season games this season under Green, then we'll know he isn't in the Canucks' plans.

It is only so I don't have to keep hearing people say 'bring him up. It doesn't matter if he is ready or not'. 

Or the even dumber one 'switch him to wing and bring him up'. 

Archived