The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If Lidstrom can last, why not the Sedins?

smokes

I doubt Bartkowski brings much but 3rd pairing depth. We'll see.

And... I just don't see Bieksa being this pylon everyone else does. He'll do fine in Anaheim.

OT, These developments regarding the defense don't do anything to help the Sedins 'last' imho. That will be up to WD's strategy and deployment. It will be interesting to see if Horvat steps it up. He looked decent with low minutes, but will he with more icetime?

Did I say Bartowski was more than a 3rd pairing (occasional 2nd pairing fill-in)? Pretty sure I just said he's a good skater with a decent first pass and some physicality.

Did i call Bieksa a pylon? Pretty sure I just said Bartowski/Corrado were faster skaters.

Except Alfredsson was injured WAY more than the Sedin's, they've had very few injuries between them. Each a 1 game absence for a shoulder injury early in their careers, Daniel had one concussion, Henrik had bruised ribs and Daniel a groin injury. That's it, Alfredsson alone has had all of that and more. Not a good comparison IMO, Sedin's are stronger, healthier, and will last longer.

Other than injuries they are pretty similar. I bet they retire around the same age.

You are also forgetting that Daniel busted his foot and missed 18 games the year Hank won the Art Ross.

That's what I was thinking but splitting up the sedins has never been a popular notion around here. But if Daniel has lost his shot then that makes sense.

And it has never been about having a high octane winger for the sedins but rather someone who can think the game with them.

To the best of my recollection Daniel and Henrik were more similar when they came into the league and as they developed Daniel became more of a scorer and Henrik an elite passers. Both of them have that elite ability in them to setup. I wouldn't be surprised if Daniel could center a line myself if he was ever put into that situation. Just not sure if that's possible at 34 but that ability is there.

There's also a big difference between writing them off and realising they are getting older, have passed their peak, and the team needs to plan for the future without them on the first line. The latter doesn't mean they are now useless players and aren't still top players in the league but reality is reality: they aren't going to play forever and they aren't 22 any more.

I agree op! Sedins can play until 40 if they wanted to. Their style is.not based off speed but smarts and cycling down low. I expect them to remain productive throughout this contract. The question is do they want to continue to play after this ones up? I sure hope van is close to a contender by then and the sedins resign 1 or 2 year deals. Not many players can play an entire career with one team. We gotta enjoy these last few seasons of the sedins cuz they are by far the best canucks ever.

A lot of people are saying the Sedins should retire. A lot of people are idiots as well. My response is: should we really be looking to get rid of two players who were 9th and 13th in overall scoring last year?

Exactly. Or another way to put it. Dank was tied for first in scoring in our division, with Hank third.

" I wouldn't be surprised if Daniel could center a line myself if he was ever put into that situation. Just not sure if that's possible at 34 but that ability is there. "

with Sutter here this idea is a no go.... but maybe, just maybe if they could have hired Malholtra to teach Daniel how to take faces offs during the offseason it might have worked. Daniel can still pass the puck with great ability and once in a while you see that great shot, just not often enough.

I started this thread because the amount of people fans and media are beginning to write the Sedins off because he is getting older bothers me so much. The Sedins are only 34, Not comparing stats or anything but players like Lidstrom played at a high level for almost all of his career and he retired at 42. It is focusing too far into the future with talks of succession plans and retirement to make this fun anymore. I mean one or two articles is enough, lets focus more on the now.

Iginla was written off by Calgary as too old and he ended up having good productive seasons on other teams and he is still doing it albiet looking as lost as Trevor Linden was when he was not in a Canucks uniform.

As a Canucks fan, I hope to the higher being above me that I get to watch the Sedins in a Canucks uniform for as long Lidstrom, If the fans and the media focus more on how well they are playing at their ages and actually appreciate them.

Daniel Sedin had 76 points last year, the most he has had since 2011.

Henrik had 73 points last year, also the most since 2011.

The Sedins are not showing any signs of decline at all. So to me this talk about retirement and succession plan is frustrating.

P.S.- Some of strongest people who have no problem competing with younger players are also between 30-40.

Exactly, I have said the same thing.

One day we are all going to wake up and realise the Sedins have retired and it is only then some of us will realise just how lucky Vancouver was to have them playing here.

I also said that this team will NEVER be a bottom 10 team as long as we have the Sedins playing for us.

What grates the most is that Gillis's failure to reinforce the team properly after 2011 has cost the Sedins 3 of their biggest window years to win a Cup here.

I still don't think it is too late because as the OP says they have at least 6 more good years left and this team is now heading in the right direction.

Exactly, I have said the same thing.

One day we are all going to wake up and realise the Sedins have retired and it is only then some of us will realise just how lucky Vancouver was to have them playing here.

I also said that this team will NEVER be a bottom 10 team as long as we have the Sedins playing for us.

What grates the most is that Gillis's failure to reinforce the team properly after 2011 has cost the Sedins 3 of their biggest window years to win a Cup here.

I still don't think it is too late because as the OP says they have at least 6 more good years left and this team is now heading in the right direction.

I remember listening to Gino Odjik on the radio after we lost to Boston in 2011. He was very disappointed the twins didn't have a tough guy, with skill, playing along side them. Gino felt the twins would have brought us a couple of cups, if they had a Lucic for example. I hope we get Lucic next summer. If Gino is right, and I trust his opinion, then the twins could certainly be top line players for several more years.

We really need to get a puck moving defenseman to help them out.

Also I think eventually putting Virtanen with them is going to help them a lot.

He can wreak havoc on the forecheck and push defenders back with his speed then let the twins do their thing.

His speed on the backcheck will also take some pressure off them. I really hope they try it out.

I remember listening to Gino Odjik on the radio after we lost to Boston in 2011. He was very disappointed the twins didn't have a tough guy, with skill, playing along side them. Gino felt the twins would have brought us a couple of cups, if they had a Lucic for example. I hope we get Lucic next summer. If Gino is right, and I trust his opinion, then the twins could certainly be top line players for several more years.

If you want to improve longevity, get the twins this power forward tough guy. I think that is why Benning made a push for looch, and it is also why so many fans were mad that Kassian was traded. Their game just opens up when other teams are intimidated. As it is right now, teams will take free shots at the Sedins and they should not have to stick up for themselves, rather a tough guy with skill should be in the opponents face.

5 more years of the Sedins is my hope, they are smart players and rely on passing and positioning more than speed and stickhandling. First thing to go is your hands, but their main skill is instinct, much like lidstroms.

I started this thread because the amount of people fans and media are beginning to write the Sedins off because he is getting older bothers me so much. The Sedins are only 34, Not comparing stats or anything but players like Lidstrom played at a high level for almost all of his career and he retired at 42. It is focusing too far into the future with talks of succession plans and retirement to make this fun anymore. I mean one or two articles is enough, lets focus more on the now.

Iginla was written off by Calgary as too old and he ended up having good productive seasons on other teams and he is still doing it albiet looking as lost as Trevor Linden was when he was not in a Canucks uniform.

As a Canucks fan, I hope to the higher being above me that I get to watch the Sedins in a Canucks uniform for as long Lidstrom, If the fans and the media focus more on how well they are playing at their ages and actually appreciate them.

Daniel Sedin had 76 points last year, the most he has had since 2011.

Henrik had 73 points last year, also the most since 2011.

The Sedins are not showing any signs of decline at all. So to me this talk about retirement and succession plan is frustrating.

P.S.- Some of strongest people who have no problem competing with younger players are also between 30-40.

Maybe they can. The odds aren't with them. The ravages of time eventually get to everyone and the Sedins have already lasted at an elite level to a later age than most. They are outstanding at keeping fit which helps their chances.

If you want to improve longevity, get the twins this power forward tough guy. I think that is why Benning made a push for looch, and it is also why so many fans were mad that Kassian was traded. Their game just opens up when other teams are intimidated. As it is right now, teams will take free shots at the Sedins and they should not have to stick up for themselves, rather a tough guy with skill should be in the opponents face.

5 more years of the Sedins is my hope, they are smart players and rely on passing and positioning more than speed and stickhandling. First thing to go is your hands, but their main skill is instinct, much like lidstroms.

I wonder how happy the twins would be, knowing big Milan was coming to be their "wingman"?

Also forgotten is Linden's trip to San Antonio with Poppovich and the Spurs, who are the quintessential franchise that knows how to elongate veteran players careers. I think Benning and Linden learned from this trip and the fact they wanted to know how to extend veteran players careers makes me think we will keep the Sedins until they want to retire.

Archived