1. Gaunce

2. Virtanen

3. Cassels

4. McCann

5. Hutton

6. Shinkaruk

7. Subban

HM: Zhukenov

Few things - Friesen isn't on anyone's radar. His skillset is decidedly limited, added to this is his size or lack thereof, that causes him to lose board battles. He isn't prolific enough for the top 6, and isn't big enough to be a grinder.

This list was in reference to the tournament itself, Benning was refering to 6 or 7 AT the young stars, so lists including Demko/Boeser are inaccurate. They may well be NHLers in addition to Benning's perceived value of those in the tournament.

Gaunce was converted to wing last year, and spent significant time on wing, both after the Groavic acquisition for the Bulls in 2013, as well as the trade that landed him on McDavid's win on the Otters. He's a winger.

Great tournament all around, and I'm excited for main camp. I always get most excited after the first major wave of cuts. This ~30 roster will give us the best idea of depth, and which prospects are worth keeping around for the later preseason games.

for all the tools that have no clue the seven players benning referred to as train camp hopefulls didnt include demko or boeser who are playing at least a yr or two more of college hockey

they included. virtanen, mccann, gaunce, shinkaruk, stewart, hutton, subbann plus grenier and cassels will probably fight for spots as well good to have competition

gaunce virtanen will make team out of camp maybe even shinkaruk if not most of these players will thrive under green in utica and wait for call ups if we get injured or trade vrbata, vey, hamhuis, higgins, hansen at deadline internal competition is finally here i really dont see jensen beating virtanen or gaunce or shinkaruk out of a job hes not that good

Most of you have already listed the players he probably refered to. But I do think it's difficult to make spots for many of our young players. Mostly because of the aquisition of Prust.

It has created a logjam of players who compte for bottom six roles. I'd actully like to see our bottom 6 something like this.

Higgins Horvat Virtanen

Gaunce Vey Dorsett.

Extra: Kenins/Grenier

But it will probably end up looking something lite this. Because we have to much money invested in our bottom six players. And it would be a waste fo salary cap to keep them of the team.

Higgins Horvat Hansen

Prust Vey Dorsett

If it's list of simply Penticton player sure, but is Grenier out of sight so out of mind, ditto Pedan. So far Gaunce seems to have made few mistakes or errors and right alongside him IMO was Hutton. He allowed the youngster Brisebois look comfortable. I think MacKenzie Stewart showed his thing when he went at Hunter Smith who's 6'6"/210 which is promising plus of course he has the wheels to keep up with the play, not many around like that.. Fox started to take more shots and some were pretty good chnaces. In fact IMO he edged Shikaruk by a nose. Cassels looked like his strength was lacking but he seems to have the tools.

I can see Hutton getting a call up before the seasons through, he's 22 already and surprise is a lefty which is waht the team needs. For his age Brisebois looks like there's a lot more to come in the future at that age to play the way he did was pretty impresive.

Virtanen is basically being gifted a spot based on his speed and physical play, in the same way that Baertschi is being gifted a spot for his playmaking and offense.

The way you word it seems like they don't even have to try to make the team. If they both have crappy training camps, it's not a given they make the team though Baertschi likely does regardless due to his waiver eligibility.

Virtanen and Guance appear to be the most ready to move to the NHL. With the ability to move Guance up and down the real decision resides with Virtanen. Guance can still gain through the AHL experience. Virtanen back to Calgary is starting to make far less sense.

McCann and Cassels both had a good tourney. Both can gain in Utica. Hopefully Fox locks a AHL spot. Abols also stood out as a 19 year old. Shinkaruk was frustrating for me as a AHL vet. He made some nice passes but also took low % shots and turned the puck in his zone. Another year in Utica by all looks unless he really clicks in PG.

Virtanen and Guance appear to be the most ready to move to the NHL. With the ability to move Guance up and down the real decision resides with Virtanen. Guance can still gain through the AHL experience. Virtanen back to Calgary is starting to make far less sense.

McCann and Cassels both had a good tourney. Both can gain in Utica. Hopefully Fox locks a AHL spot. Abols also stood out as a 19 year old. Shinkaruk was frustrating for me as a AHL vet. He made some nice passes but also took low % shots and turned the puck in his zone. Another year in Utica by all looks unless he really clicks in PG.

Gaunce dude. Gaunce.

The name Gaunce appears 34 times before your post. One would think you'd notice at least one instance of it.

I think Benning is speaking of sure-fire NHL'ers (either call-ups this year or regular players in the next couple seasons for the team):

1) Baertschi

2) Virtanen

3) Gaunce

3) Hutton

4) McCann

5) Grenier

6) Cassels

7) Stewart

Tryamkin/Boeser/Demko are not on the team now and cannot play until the next 2-3 years anyways. Shinkaruk/Jensen/Subban will be dealt for prospects IMO.

I see Gaunce and Cassels fighting for that 4th line spot, as Vey's size will truly be his undoing. He doesn't offer enough of a fully rounded game, especially in the West to be considered a lock.

Virtanen will likely make Higgins somewhat redundant, over Hansen, as Hansen's speed is still a great asset to have, that and his ratel-like tenacity.

I see Gaunce and Cassels fighting for that 4th line spot, as Vey's size will truly be his undoing. He doesn't offer enough of a fully rounded game, especially in the West to be considered a lock.

Virtanen will likely make Higgins somewhat redundant, over Hansen, as Hansen's speed is still a great asset to have, that and his ratel-like tenacity.

So what do we do with Vey then?

Imo we need to stick him in the lineup somewhere but I agree that the 4th line is not ideal.

I think Benning is speaking of sure-fire NHL'ers (either call-ups this year or regular players in the next couple seasons for the team):

1) Baertschi

2) Virtanen

3) Gaunce

3) Hutton

4) McCann

5) Grenier

6) Cassels

7) Stewart

Tryamkin/Boeser/Demko are not on the team now and cannot play until the next 2-3 years anyways. Shinkaruk/Jensen/Subban will be dealt for prospects IMO.

Why would prospects be dealt for prospects? Wouldn't they be better served being dealt with a roster player for another player in a trade?

Why would management need to stick him in the lineup if he is usurped by Cassels or Gaunce?

Because if he's not part of the future he needs to be at least traded for a young D-man. He needs exposure for that to be possible, otherwise we threw away a second for nothing.

There's no rush for Gaunce and Cassels. Both of them can spend a couple years in Utica.

Archived