The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Discussion: Baertschi losing favour with Willie

Sedintwinpowersactivate

Not talking about the Horvat goal, I'm talking about the Hansen almost goal.

He's not in the top 6 right now, he's on the 3rd line with Bo.

He was in the top 6 and was demoted because of his lack of effort. Since the demotion I think he's been alot better (Willie even mentioned he liked his game). His game obviously isn't perfect yet, but as long as he's showing improvement the coach will keep playing him.

He has been much better since his wake-up call.  I think he got another wake-up call, too - Shinkaruk is tearing it up n the AHL - if he comes up it won't be to play fourth line.

Did you actually read your post before you pressed submit reply ?

For one it is not a mentality it is a fact ! You gotta be in it to win it.   5 yr olds comprehend this simple process

Two. Only an imbecile would turn down  a greater chance of success if given the opportunity.

lol you missed my whole point. Of course you have to be in it to win it, but your chances are so slim that, for most people, by the time they've won the lottery, they've put just as much money in. It's a gimmick more than anything. It's a gimmick made to make people spend their money with this notion that they could win the lottery.

As for two.... that was my point, so why are you even writing this?

Next time, before you reply to me with that mentality of "I know everything and you don't", please make sure you're actually reading my post and understanding why I'm posting it.

For the most part, yes! I know at least Delorme, Lindgren, and Gradin have been scouts for us for a long time and still are.

Kind of hard to believe if you ask me, but it's true.

I would have to agree with you there, it makes me throw up in my mouth a little everytime I have a look at the previous drafts and see the players the Canucks choose and what was still on the board. Mallet is such a head scratcher!

But you can't just lay all the blame on the scouts, the horrible set up in Chicago (Wolves) stunted many of the Canucks prospects.  It's so encouraging to see what's happening in Utica from a coaching level right through to the love the town has for the team

lol you missed my whole point. Of course you have to be in it to win it, but your chances are so slim that, for most people, by the time they've won the lottery, they've put just as much money in. It's a gimmick more than anything. It's a gimmick made to make people spend their money with this notion that they could win the lottery.

As for two.... that was my point, so why are you even writing this?

Next time, before you reply to me with that mentality of "I know everything and you don't", please make sure you're actually reading my post and understanding why I'm posting it.

lmao ok there bud

I think they should consider giving Baertschi a tryout with the Sedins.

He has the skills to play with them, and he is actually pretty good defensively.

If we're going "off the board" here, I'd suggest McCann instead, since unlike Baer, he has the shot to be the finisher on that line.  Both are left shots, though, and in that sense less than optimal.  Personally, I like Sutter and Hansen in that role since they shoot right and can do the puck retrieval that makes the twins successful.

I think they should consider giving Baertschi a tryout with the Sedins.

He has the skills to play with them, and he is actually pretty good defensively.

Why?

With the line they have been running as of late, he has been looking better and better. Goal and an assist last game is still not enough?

Glad to see Willie give some props to Sven tonight.  I thought his compete level was noticeable, and that has been the only real issue in his play this year.  The kid's learning and will be a valuable player in a few months. 

You mean of course for the second time in 4 days. He praised him after his last game too.

When is the penny going to drop around here. Willie responds to hard work, players who put in a selfless shift for the team. When they do that they get praised and their minutes increased.

He is NOT against youth, he encourages good habits and "punishes" bad habits. That is how young players learn. Willie is not a coach to please them, he is there to develop them and teach them the way to have a long NHL career.

Yes I thought he was showing a lot more effort and more compete. He is a luxury worth having when he plays like that purely because he sees passes like Hank when he is on form. I wish he potted them like Hank though but it will come.

yup.  He's a ver high skill player, who go passed over by other guys in Calgary - namely Goudreau.  That doesn't mean he can't become excellent.  It's just going to take him a bit longer - very much like it took Henrk.

Speaking of 2nd round picks...Since the year 2000...the Canucks have selected..:

Denis Grot

Kirill Kotsov

Marc Andre Bernier

Mason Raymond

Taylor Ellington

Yann Sauve

Anton Rodin

Alexandre Mallet

Thatcher Demko

Only one of those has been selected by Jim Benning.  Thatcher Demko.  And Thatcher Demko looks to be the real deal.

Bearcheese will be a star player in the NHL, so I don't disagree with the reasoning behind the trade, and the Flames discarded him, so he needed to be given a better chance.

Ultimately the Canucks are improving in drafting and player development, and this will hopefully lead them to a cup win soon.

Yes I thought he was showing a lot more effort and more compete. He is a luxury worth having when he plays like that purely because he sees passes like Hank when he is on form. I wish he potted them like Hank though but it will come.

Yes he has played well since he sat. Much more involved in the play and he is able to showcase his talents more. Hope he keeps it up.

You mean of course for the second time in 4 days. He praised him after his last game too.

When is the penny going to drop around here. Willie responds to hard work, players who put in a selfless shift for the team. When they do that they get praised and their minutes increased.

He is NOT against youth, he encourages good habits and "punishes" bad habits. That is how young players learn. Willie is not a coach to please them, he is there to develop them and teach them the way to have a long NHL career.

And there was a time just before he sat too:  Willie is being pretty careful with Sven's confidence.  I don't think sitting out is being presented as punishment to the same extent as in other years either, which also counts as progress in my books. 

Only one of those has been selected by Jim Benning.  Thatcher Demko.  And Thatcher Demko looks to be the real deal.

Bearcheese will be a star player in the NHL, so I don't disagree with the reasoning behind the trade, and the Flames discarded him, so he needed to be given a better chance.

Ultimately the Canucks are improving in drafting and player development, and this will hopefully lead them to a cup win soon.

Raymond was the real deal for a long time until he broke his back. There is no point having speed unless you have finish and Raymond had both.

And there was a time just before he sat too:  Willie is being pretty careful with Sven's confidence.  I don't think sitting out is being presented as punishment to the same extent as in other years either, which also counts as progress in my books. 

I agree with your correction. "Punish" was not the right word to convey what I meant.

"Doesn't reward" (i.e. sits or reduces minutes) is a better substitute.

Archived