The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Andrey Pedan | D

SilentSam

21 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

Has anyone actually read the quote?  If it was in Russian it was probably a translation issue. I remember we had a few of those when Tryamkin came into town. Unfortunately Stierlitz doesn't seem to be around right now so he can't provide us with the direct quote and proper translation. 

Gentlemen, I mentioned this in another thread - I thoroughly searched the sport-express web site yesterday and did the same today and did not find that interview with Pedan. The only source is the twitter from Igor Eronko. I respect Igor, he was the first one to tell the world about the Tryamkin's intention to sign contract with Canucks but...

12 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

Gentlemen, I mentioned this in another thread - I thoroughly searched the sport-express web site yesterday and did the same today and did not find that interview with Pedan. The only source is the twitter from Igor Eronko. I respect Igor, he was the first one to tell the world about the Tryamkin's intention to sign contract with Canucks but...

Ok thanks Stierlitz.  So in your opinion do you think it was a translation issue?  All we see is the English version on the tweet.  Or was he actually speaking English and it was a direct quote?

To me this wording doesn't sound like proper English. To me it's a translation from Russian which we all know can be misleading and not get the actual English connotation. 

8 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

Ok thanks Stierlitz.  So in your opinion do you think it was a translation issue?  All we see is the English version on the tweet.  Or was he actually speaking English and it was a direct quote?

To me this wording doesn't sound like proper English. To me it's a translation from Russian which we all know can be misleading and not get the actual English connotation. 

I believe the Pedan's interview was in Russian and it was translated into English by Eronko. Since I don't find the actual wording in Russian, I can't tell how good the translation is. The whole situation looks weird, maybe Andrey Pedan asked the sport-express not to publish the interview after realizing that it did not look very good...

2 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

I believe the Pedan's interview was in Russian and it was translated into English by Eronko. Since I don't find the actual wording in Russian, I can't tell how good the translation is. The whole situation looks weird, maybe Andrey Pedan asked the sport-express not to publish the interview after realizing that it did not look very good...

Here's the link to the original: http://www.sport-express.ru/hockey/nhl/reviews/1006335/

1 minute ago, Stierlitz said:

Could Pedan, in Russian, say something like "McCann was the only guy I didn't connect with, because he (McCann) was often alone".  What Russian words translate to the English: "lonely"?  

This is the part everyone is talking about:

– Ой, ну все идеально. Есть те, с кем у вас не сложилось?

– С Джаредом Макканном, его потом обменяли во "Флориду". Иногда так себя вел, будто он тут один звезда, а рядом с ним никого нет. Но это было нечасто.

Q: Umm so everything was perfect (according to Pedan). Were there some people you did not get well along with?

A: With Jared McCann, he was traded to Florida afterwards. Sometimes he behaved like he was the only star here and nobody was on the same level (direct translation: ... and nobody was around him). But this did not happen often.

1 hour ago, EastVanCanuck said:

I don't have a problem with Pedan speaking his mind.  

But I do get a good laugh at some drama Queens in here over Pedan and Mcaan.  Lol. 

I wish McCaan the best of luck!  

McCann* sorry it just bothers me

On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎26 at 1:41 PM, kloubek said:

It is what McCann was noted for and why he fell so far in the draft .....wonder if the statistics guys in Florida are aware ..... it's some thing that doesn't show up in stats  !!

:lol:

So I tried to translate that interview by Andrey Pedan dated June 1 http://www.sport-express.ru/hockey/nhl/reviews/1006335/. It is pretty long, I made it a bit shorter by cutting some general questions.

Q: It is summer time and you don't look like someone who can challenge any tough guy in the NHL.

A: I lost 6 kg, it is always like this for me during vacation. No training, and muscles are starting to disappear. As soon as I begin workout, everything would be back.

Q: You have mentioned before that you never practice in combat sports.

A: Never before but this summer I will go to boxers, I need to gain some skills in that department.

Q: Last season you got callup to Vancouver and were sent back in 13 days. You looked different in the AHL after that, maybe more confident.

A: Play for Utica became less interesting for me after the callup to Vancouver. I realized that I outgrew the AHL, could do more and waited for next callup.

Q: And you were called up...

A: Yes, I played several games, as a forward in some of them. That was not exactly what I expected but it was a progress nevertheless.

Q: How did you feel after three years of trying to establish himself in the NHL when new player Nikita Tryamkin came in and got playing time, PP time and the right to make mistake?

A: I don't have anything against Nikita and this could be any other new player. Obviously I had a lot of questions and surely I did not get answers. You ask me how I deal with the situation when I get chance to play in the NHL after 3 years. I don't have an answer.

Q: You don't want to answer?

A: I don't want to think about it. Otherwise you may get steamed up or got depressed and stop working. So I just don't let those thoughts come to my mind. I practice, go to the ice, return home. Trying to be patient.

Q: Still why does Tryamkin get so much attention?

A: I can partly explain this with marketing. A huge Russian arrived from a country not many people know much about. He was called the Russian Chara and interest was ensured.

Q: They don't know about Russia? This is weird considering internet...

A: Yes, I was really asked what would happen to them if they came to Russia. I answered that they would be eaten by a bear since lot of bears were on the streets. But seven Canucks were here (in Moscow) during the world championship, I showed them the city and they liked it.

Q: You have the RFA status, any news about new contract?

A: No news and I don't expect it soon. The draft is the first, then signing of the drafted players, after that they will deal with the expired contracts.

Q: Do you have your own offer?

A: No, this does not work that way. I am waiting for the offer from the club. I am interested to know how they see our future work. I would prefer one-way contract, and if the two-way one, then with increased salary (at the AHL level).

Q: I can tell you where you can get paid more.

A: And I repeat what I always say - I am not planning to return to Russia yet. I am contacted, get some offers but I decline, not even listening. I have been in NA for 6 years and I want to play in the NHL.

Q: Tel me about Vancouver. The team did not make the playoffs which was surprising.

A: The season was weird. We lost so many games in 3rd period. Everything was pretty good at start of a game, then -boom and we lost. So we did not collect enough points.

Q: Did the team stop playing at the season end?

A: The young players were battling to make good impression with the coach. Some players were really waiting for the season end except the Sedin brothers. They don't have lousy games at all. I mean the Sedins don't separate games as important ones and not. I was very impressed by them.

Q: Did you talk to them?

A: I did not have any problem with that. And you know what is different with the Sedins? The guys always smile, they are always in good mood and try to support their teammates. Perhaps they had bad days but no one in the team could notice that.

Q: Your favorite teammate in Vancouver?

A: Ryan Miller. He likes politics so much. Just mention Donald Trump and Miller will give you a lecture. Ryan is an original person and very friendly at the same time. When he talks to you, you can see that he is concentrated on the discussion with you.

Q: Is there some difference between the veteran and young players?

A: Just very few rules. Veterans get out of the airplane first, they get first into the hotel elevator after checkin. The young players are supposed to be the first ones in the bus before departure so that nobody waits for them.

Q: Umm everything seems to be perfect. Were there some people you did not get well along with?

A: With Jared McCann, he was traded to Florida afterwards. Sometimes he behaved like he was the only star here and nobody was on the same level (direct translation: ... and nobody was around him). But this did not happen often.

Q: So what did the coach or general manager tell you during the exit interview?

A: Hm all those discussions are the same, no detailed information. We are happy with you, you will get a chance and you can do it. I wish I am told what exactly in my play is not good enough, then I would change it, improve. And there was the same talking this time but I was not sure what they were actually thinking. Waiting for contract negotiation. 

4 hours ago, Fred65 said:

It is what McCann was noted for and why he fell so far in the draft .....wonder if the statistics guys in Florida are aware ..... it's some thing that doesn't show up in stats  !!

Seguin's immature behaviour back at Boston didn't show up in the stats either.

Look how well that turned out for Boston! :lol:

4 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Didn't JB claim that he puts emphasis on character when drafting? Was he not aware of supposed character issues?

6 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

So I tried to translate that interview by Andrey Pedan dated June 1 http://www.sport-express.ru/hockey/nhl/reviews/1006335/. It is pretty long, I made it a bit shorter by cutting some general questions.

Q: It is summer time and you don't look like someone who can challenge any tough guy in the NHL.

A: I lost 6 kg, it is always like this for me during vacation. No training, and muscles are starting to disappear. As soon as I begin workout, everything would be back.

A: Never before but this summer I will go to boxers, I need to gain some skills in that department.

Q: Last season you got callup to Vancouver and were sent back in 13 days. You looked different in the AHL after that, maybe more confident.

A: Play for Utica became less interesting for me after the callup to Vancouver. I realized that I outgrew the AHL, could do more and waited for next callup.

A: Yes, I played several games, as a forward in some of them. That was not exactly what I expected but it was a progress nevertheless.

Q: How did you feel after three years of trying to establish himself in the NHL when new player Nikita Tryamkin came in and got playing time, PP time and the right to make mistake?

A: I don't have anything against Nikita and this could be any other new player. Obviously I had a lot of questions and surely I did not get answers. You ask me how I deal with the situation when I get chance to play in the NHL after 3 years. I don't have an answer.

A: I don't want to think about it. Otherwise you may get steamed up or got depressed and stop working. So I just don't let those thoughts come to my mind. I practice, go to the ice, return home. Trying to be patient.

A: I can partly explain this with marketing. A huge Russian arrived from a country not many people know much about. He was called the Russian Chara and interest was ensured.

A: Yes, I was really asked what would happen to them if they came to Russia. I answered that they would be eaten by a bear since lot of bears were on the streets. But seven Canucks were here (in Moscow) during the world championship, I showed them the city and they liked it.

A: No news and I don't expect it soon. The draft is the first, then signing of the drafted players, after that they will deal with the expired contracts.

A: No, this does not work that way. I am waiting for the offer from the club. I am interested to know how they see our future work. I would prefer one-way contract, and if the two-way one, then with increased salary (at the AHL level).

A: And I repeat what I always say - I am not planning to return to Russia yet. I am contacted, get some offers but I decline, not even listening. I have been in NA for 6 years and I want to play in the NHL.

Q: Tel me about Vancouver. The team did not make the playoffs which was surprising.

A: The season was weird. We lost so many games in 3rd period. Everything was pretty good at start of a game, then -boom and we lost. So we did not collect enough points.

A: The young players were battling to make good impression with the coach. Some players were really waiting for the season end except the Sedin brothers. They don't have lousy games at all. I mean the Sedins don't separate games as important ones and not. I was very impressed by them.

A: I did not have any problem with that. And you know what is different with the Sedins? The guys always smile, they are always in good mood and try to support their teammates. Perhaps they had bad days but no one in the team could notice that.

A: Ryan Miller. He likes politics so much. Just mention Donald Trump and Miller will give you a lecture. Ryan is an original person and very friendly at the same time. When he talks to you, you can see that he is concentrated on the discussion with you.

A: Just very few rules. Veterans get out of the airplane first, they get first into the hotel elevator after checkin. The young players are supposed to be the first ones in the bus before departure so that nobody waits for them.

Q: Umm everything seems to be perfect. Were there some people you did not get well along with?

A: Hm all those discussions are the same, no detailed information. We are happy with you, you will get a chance and you can do it. I wish I am told what exactly in my play is not good enough, then I would change it, improve. And there was the same talking this time but I was not sure what they were actually thinking. Waiting for contract negotiation. 

Those questions don't seem very fair for Pedan.

6 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

A bit of an odd interview, it seems like they were trying to antagonize Pedan (you will make more money in Russia, why did Tryamkin get priority treatment, did you not get along with people). But still nice to see things like the Sedins continuing to be mentioned as great role models and Pedan saying that he's committed to the NHL.

10 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Or, maybe he needed to be around more younger players?  What did that mom say about McCann?  Was it something about that kid needs to grow up? 

I was surprised to see Pedan's comment about not getting clear indications from Canuck coaching about what he had to work on. I thought simple asset management would have a thick dossier on each player with detailed development plans.

3 hours ago, Qwags said:

Those questions don't seem very fair for Pedan.

He answered them pretty honestly for what they are..he can probably see the writing on the wall with the acquisition of Gudbranson...not much chance he is going to be playing top six in Vancouver or even making top 8..probably doesnt care if he gets traded.

I really like the kid and he brings an element we dont have.. an elite fighting ability/toughness and with some boxing lessons as he said in his interview not many will want to tangle with him...I just have a feeling he will be on another team doing it.

Archived