The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"Tag" and other wtf-type names people give to their children these days /oldguy thread

TOMapleLaughs

After the WCE extravaganza a few nights ago, it became apparent that Todd Bertuzzi named his son "Tag".

Wait... Tag?

Is this part of the result of what Carlin mentions in the video above, in which there are too many guys named "Todd", and they ought to be killed?  (lol)

Or is this more the Johnny Cash "Boy named Sue" mentality, in which giving a son this name will 'toughen him up'?  

Or neither, it's a hipster name given to a child by a hipster.

Other hipster names:

Bear

Rebel

Everly

Kale

Edison

India

Holden

Zola

Atticus

Thor

Scout

Rumor

Prairie

Apple

Oyster

Hood

General

Radium

Speaker

Wave

etc.

And don't get me started on the purposefully misspelled common names...

Peiter

Pawl

Allisyn

Daved

Jawn

Graant

Danyal

Caytie

Alyzzabeth

Neithaniyalle

Krysteyanne

etc.

What in the blue hell is this garbage?  Don't parents realize that they're traumatizing their children with a neverending barrage of sigh-inducing spelling corrections from school age onwards in an attempt to be what, trendy?, in front of their douchebag friends who's opinion is utterly worthless in this scope?

Good Christ, would somebody PLEASE think of the children!

Boy named Sue reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-hYLL7Gpos

Recently connected with some "younger" (still in 20's) friends who had become parents since we saw them last. Their son's name was "Dash".

I had a similar initial reaction as the OP. Then I remembered how much I love The Incredibles. And after thinking about it for a bit, I actually kind of like it now.

I am not certain if 'Tag' is a good example.
I worked with a guy that named his son Tag. I thought, like you, that he was one of these new parents coming up with a weird name to be hip. Turns out he was actually naming his son after a friend of his that passed away. That friend would have been in his early 40s by now. So while odd sounding I don't think it is a new one.

My daughter's name is pretty uncommon but not in the weird category.

Really, where do names come from? Someone had to come up with the names we have used for centuries in the first place, and it had something to do with their day-to-day experiences.

For instance, Todd was originally a surname, and means fox. It may have been originally a surname given to a family that ran a fox hunting/extermination business in England, and later taken as a first name. And since the OP mentioned George, that is a derivative of a Greek word for farmer.

So...I ask you...what the hell does Todd have to do with anything in our day-to-day lives? How often do we come across foxes in Canada. Or how many George-s are actually farmers, or even know the first thing about farming? At least Tag is something we can all relate to.

When it comes down to it, "hipster" names make a lot more sense to use as names than the ancient ones created in a different world, and merely copied for centuries. The only real argument against new and original names is that they are new and original...and the old farts want things just the way they were, thank you very much.

Archived