The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hamhuis out with a facial fracture, will undergo surgery tomorrow.

Coconuts

54 minutes ago, hearditall said:

When a serious injury occurs then there is no light or anything funny about it any more. The same as someone in a coma or a broken jaw. Both serious injuries. Only a laughing matter if your truly sadistic...

Just to let U know, when a true fan of the team sees a player make a mistake your reaction isn't LOL or HA HA HA HA HA or say it was FUNNY (like a delinquent child). A true fan no matter if they're in a suite & tie or jeans, says something along the terms of "oh @#*t" or "oh @#*k".  never  lol/hahahaha......Good night, school in the morning.

If u can't understand that then u have no hope....

I don't think he was laughing at the injury, just the turnover. Those are two different things. I think we should be careful not to merge those two issues together.

Some of you are a little quick to jump all over someone.

I think we should all just take a deep breathe. There is no intent to be disrespectful by anyone. Just misunderstandings.

36 minutes ago, Monteeun said:

I don't think he was laughing at the injury, just the turnover. Those are two different things. I think we should be careful not to merge those two issues together.

omg another student... :wacko::blink::wacko:   If u can read I explained that a true fan doesn't LOL at a give away...

Also, yes i get that he says he was LOL at the play 2 seconds before Hammer gets his jaw smashed like glass. How is this 2 different stories??? There's no mixing up anything at this point.

Only story now is that Hamhuis is in a really bad situation & needs help asap.  Absolutely nothing funny about it.

Sorry still not getting the joke here???

Did he give it away and fall on his arse & they scored? ok i can see the humour in that but what really happened live, NO humour my lost friends, just wish the best for the player if U are a fan of HOCKEY at all...PERIOD....

1 hour ago, hearditall said:

omg another student... :wacko::blink::wacko:   If u can read I explained that a true fan doesn't LOL at a give away...

Also, yes i get that he says he was LOL at the play 2 seconds before Hammer gets his jaw smashed like glass. How is this 2 different stories??? There's no mixing up anything at this point. What give away that he ended up blocking anyways. 

Only story now is that Hamhuis is in a really bad situation & needs help asap.  Absolutely nothing funny about it.

Sorry still not getting the joke here???

Did he give it away and fall on his arse & they scored? ok i can see the humour in that but what really happened live, NO humour my lost friends, just wish the best for the player if U are a fan of HOCKEY at all...PERIOD....

What? :huh: Another student indeed. I think you're getting confused at what i'm trying to get at.

Sigh...nevermind. You actually didn't get the part i was trying to explain. You just went off on something else.

I never mentioned the bottom part so...don't know why that was in there.

I'm just gonna take mine to go...

10 hours ago, lmm said:

I would not be surprized if Dan has played his last NHL game.

This is pretty much the worst case scenario for him, playing out the last year of a contract, with no insurance past this season. I have been wondering if he and Vbata have been playing not to get injured for that reason. Vrbata has had a couple of good games while Dan has had a couple of really rough ones. Hit really hard by Deslaurier in the Buffalo game and now this. He has had lots of trouble staying on his skates this year including on this play.

I wish the best for Dan the man, person, human being and I hope he takes a good look at his options before returning.

I am not concerned what this means to the Canucks or if it nullifies a trade return.

I wish Dan good health.

I dont think he fully recovered from last year TBH,  but his last game mmmm tough one but I also think he will be hard pressed to come back early. Not being able to chew solid food for the next month will strip him of some muscle mass. I dont care what kind of protein shakes are out there lol.

I am sad for Dan, loved his game over the years but he has definitely had a rough go lately.  Hoping for a miracle recovery he might surprise us it is the Hammer after all. A true warrior of the game.

One of my faves on that puke Pucic

Get well Danny boy !

2 hours ago, Mr.DirtyDangles said:

I dont think he fully recovered from last year TBH,  but his last game mmmm tough one but I also think he will be hard pressed to come back early. Not being able to chew solid food for the next month will strip him of some muscle mass. I dont care what kind of protein shakes are out there lol.

I am sad for Dan, loved his game over the years but he has definitely had a rough go lately.  Hoping for a miracle recovery he might surprise us it is the Hammer after all. A true warrior of the game.

One of my faves on that puke Pucic

Get well Danny boy !

Reminds me of another good one on the Bullies. :) Hope Dan's back with us soon. I felt he was just beginning  to find his game again.

8 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

It's about your timing and placement.  Go to the bloody PGT as appropriate.  This is something different (and NOT about you).

And the fact that you're pushing it and haven't clued in yet?  I may have to help soon....

Please do.

7 hours ago, Monteeun said:

I think we should all just take a deep breathe. There is no intent to be disrespectful by anyone. Just misunderstandings.

This thread/situation isn't appropriate for a laugh at blunders...ill timed, in that most of us have nothing but concern at the moment and it somehow doesn't seem right to be chuckling.  It's not about intent, it's about the placement, that's all.  A sensitive thing, when someone who has had a series of injuries has just been blasted in the face with a puck.  We've just seen how serious it can be (Manny) so chuckling can be done elsewhere.  Do we really care about a turnover and, if so, that seems to be missing the point.

Anyhow, I've said enough on this.  The topic is intended to be about a facial fracture and surgery, not to point out flaws and crack jokes.  So let's keep it on topic.

Tough injury. As mentioned, even if he comes back, he may not be 100% until next season.

But for those questioning if Hamhuis will ever play again...seriously? He's not that old - turns 33 on Sunday.

And for those questioning his current ability or value to the team...again, seriously? Despite playing with a string of sub-par defense partners, Hammer leads all D with a +7. In fact, he spent a fair bit of time paired with Weber, who is a -11. I'm still trying to determine how that gap is even possible!

42 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Tough injury. As mentioned, even if he comes back, he may not be 100% until next season.

But for those questioning if Hamhuis will ever play again...seriously? He's not that old - turns 33 on Sunday.

And for those questioning his current ability or value to the team...again, seriously? Despite playing with a string of sub-par defense partners, Hammer leads all D with a +7. In fact, he spent a fair bit of time paired with Weber, who is a -11. I'm still trying to determine how that gap is even possible!

I think it might have something to do with the fact that Yannick Weber sucks. And by suck, I mean sucking so bad that the roster loses any ability to compete when Weber is on the ice.

Benning must get rid of Weber as soon as humanly possible. He provides little in the way of depth, and could be readily be replaced by Subban, Pedan, Fedun, or any other warm body from Utica who has even the most remote sense of competitiveness to their game.

No more Weber! Get well Hammer! No more Weber! Get well Hammer!

54 minutes ago, D-Money said:

People look at his performance the last couple seasons without context of who his partners were, what the rest of the D core looked like, the injuries he's had etc.

He was one of our best D when he came back last year and then played EXTREMELY well at the IIHF Worlds. Sure, he's not quite the player he was ~5 years ago but he's nowhere near the assumed drop off many here seem to think he is with a mediocre team and crappy partners and uncomplimentary defensive makeup.

He's still got plenty of value either to us or in trade FWIW.

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think it might have something to do with the fact that Yannick Weber sucks. And by suck, I mean sucking so bad that the roster loses any ability to compete when Weber is on the ice.

Benning must get rid of Weber as soon as humanly possible. He provides little in the way of depth, and could be readily be replaced by Subban, Pedan, Fedun, or any other warm body from Utica who has even the most remote sense of competitiveness to their game.

No more Weber! Get well Hammer! No more Weber! Get well Hammer!

Weber would be fine as a 6/7, depth offensive guy. Our problem is playing him in the top 4 (or even regularly in the bottom pair). And given our black hole of right side depth, he's not likely going anywhere anytime soon.

And no, we don't have anyone to replace him. As promising as Subban looks, he'd currently make Weber look like Willie Mitchel in comparison.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

Weber would be fine as a 6/7, depth offensive guy. Our problem is playing him in the top 4 (or even regularly in the bottom pair). And given our black hole of right side depth, he's not likely going anywhere anytime soon.

Yup, pretty much. I'd prefer 7/8, myself.

The fact that Benning let Mark Fayne slide through waivers, despite Weber's clear suckage, and knowing the severity of the injury to Hamhuis, says to me that he's all but written off this season. He's not going to add a contract like Fayne's, which could hamper his ability to do exactly what he wants with this roster in the offseason.

6 minutes ago, J.R. said:

People look at his performance the last couple seasons without context of who his partners were, what the rest of the D core looked like, the injuries he's had etc.

He was one of our best D when he came back last year and then played EXTREMELY well at the IIHF Worlds. Sure, he's not quite the player he was ~5 years ago but he's nowhere near the assumed drop off many here seem to think he is with a mediocre team and crappy partners and uncomplimentary makeup.

He's still got plenty of value either to us or in trade FWIW.

Yeah, Hamhuis may not be a #2 D-man anymore, but he's still a VERY solid 2nd pairing guy. And he should be for a least 2-3 more years.

But with Edler, Hutton, and Sbisa all being locked up, younger, and providing more offense, it's probably time for Hamhuis to move on. Hopefully he's playing and playing well by the deadline.

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

The words Weber and fine only apply to conversations involving the Nashville Predators, and to a far lesser extent the Buffalo Sabres.

As per typical Canuck luck Hamhuis gets hurt He will likely be ready to go by the trade deadline but his value will likely be diminished. He was the only 3D or 4D on the roster if one assumes that Edler and Tanev were a 1D and 2D. I actually rate Edler and Tanev as 3D and 4D quality. Sbisa is a 5D who can probably play 4D minutes for a stretch. All the rest are 6D with Bartkowsi and Hutton with possible upside.  

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Yeah, Hamhuis may not be a #2 D-man anymore, but he's still a VERY solid 2nd pairing guy. And he should be for a least 2-3 more years.

But with Edler, Hutton, and Sbisa all being locked up, younger, and providing more offense, it's probably time for Hamhuis to move on. Hopefully he's playing and playing well by the deadline.

Unless my dream happens and we move Edler for Hamonic ::D By all means then, I'd be happy to re-sign Hammer at a home town discount (and/or go after Yandle, Goligoski etc as UFA's). Draft some promising D in the first couple rounds and our D core starts to look a HELL of a lot better.

Archived