The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canada to Double Syrian Refugee Intake to 50,000

TOMapleLaughs

Canada aims to double intake of Syrian refugees to 50,000: McCallum

Canada’s Minister of Immigration and Citizenship says the country’s resettlement program for Syrian refugees could double its intake by the end of next year to 50,000.

John McCallum was in the Jordanian capital of Amman on Sunday, meeting with Syrian families preparing to board flights to Canada. He told one family: “Everyone in Canada is waiting to meet you.”

Canada’s new Liberal government is pushing forward with its pledge to resettle 25,000 Syrian refugees by the end of February. McCallum says Canada hopes to settle 35,000 to 50,000 Syrian refugees by the end of 2016, with the UN refugee agency, the Jordanian government and the International Organization for Migration assisting with the vetting process.

McCallum told several of his provincial counterparts earlier this month that Canada hoped to bring in more refugees later in 2016.

McCallum also toured development projects and refugee facilities during his two-day stop in Jordan.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/canada-aims-to-double-intake-of-syrian-refugees-to-50000-immigration-chief-says-in-jordan/article27891645/

It is interesting that Iraqi and other refugees were largely ignored, but Syrians are a world concern.  We haven't seen this since Vietnam, another proxy war.

It is also interesting that the countries doing most of the bombing, the US and Russia, will not take many refugees at all.

21 minutes ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/canada-aims-to-double-intake-of-syrian-refugees-to-50000-immigration-chief-says-in-jordan/article27891645/

It is interesting that Iraqi and other refugees were largely ignored, but Syrians are a world concern.  We haven't seen this since Vietnam, another proxy war.

It is also interesting that the countries doing most of the bombing, the US and Russia, will not take many refugees at all.

Not just Russia and the US...the Arab world is not interested in helping either and many of them are actively involved in creating the situation.

3 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

I don't have a problem with taking them in, however, I do wonder where they plan to put them.

Given the housing situation in Vancouver I don't think it would be the wisest choice to bring them here.

The housing situation is just as bad in Toronto and not great in places like Calgary either. I'm assuming that majority of refugees will be on a budget. So market factors should play a large part in where they settle. In other words, I don't see many refugees ending up in lofts in Yaletown or False Creek.

There is still lots of room in outlying areas though in the GVRD.

7 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

I don't have a problem with taking them in, however, I do wonder where they plan to put them.

Given the housing situation in Vancouver I don't think it would be the wisest choice to bring them here.

Canada's pretty big, I think we can squeeze them in somewhere. :P

6 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

Yeah like I said, I have no problem finding a space for them, I just don't think there will be much in the big cities.

I totally agree - I'm just being cheeky. One would think that there's lots of room in more rural settings for sure.

List of cities named so far:

St. John’s, N.L., Halifax, Charlottetown, Moncton, Fredericton, Saint John, N.B.

Quebec City, Trois-Rivieres, Victoriaville, Drummondville, Sherbrooke, Montreal, Gatineau, Laval, Saint-Jerome, Joliette, Sainte-Hyacinthe, Brossard, Granby.

Windsor, Ottawa, London, Toronto, Kitchener, Hamilton

Winnipeg, Regina, Saskatoon, Prince Albert, Moose Jaw, Edmonton, Medicine Hat, Calgary, Red Deer, Lethbridge.

and in BC, 'The Lower Mainland'

We could stick them all in a newly-deserted Fort McMurray, but not enough work there currently, and y'know, the 'birthplace of Canadian sharia law' probably shouldn't be in our oil mecca.  lol

The key word is COULD take in as many as

The reason we do not have those from iraq coming is they have places to resettle in Iraq.  In Syria it is either dead in a camp, dead in a government controlled city, dead in a rebel controlled city or dead via ISIS.

Either way, we've the room.  And as they are only picking the cream of the crop in medical industrial and technological professionals and then only full families that have been in europe over the last year or two.

Not a huge worry as most will end up in smaller areas spread out across the country and will still face horrific xenophobic resistance from the usual suspects every step of the way

5 minutes ago, babych said:

I totally agree - I'm just being cheeky. One would think that there's lots of room in more rural settings for sure.

Really think these people would be safe in a rural setting surrounded by people like honeybadger?

Better in urban centers the size of Kamloops or Kelowna with the infrastructure to not only house but also accomodate them

I believe a lot of Iraqi refugees went to Syria, and that contributed to the reasons for the Syrian conflict.  ie. Too many people, too little resources.  This is truly a western problem, unfortunately.  The US's and UK's actions over there are mostly to blame.  A few profited, and now it's up to the rest of us to take up the costs.

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Really think these people would be safe in a rural setting surrounded by people like honeybadger?

Better in urban centers the size of Kamloops or Kelowna with the infrastructure to not only house but also accomodate them

Good point - that's what I was referring to by more rural anyway (I should have been more clear). I agree that settling in the middle of nowhere AB would not necessarily be for the best.

Not going to lie, I'm damn impressed no one has hijacked this thread yet by complaining about Trudeau and how bringing in these refugees is going to be the death of us all.

I'm glad to see Canada taking in as many refugees as is safe and secure for us. So long as they make sure to do the proper screenings, the more the merrier. 

50 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

Ocean Falls? Any town in Jonny Harris' Still Standing?

Politicians should live up to their promises and create more housing for lower income people. Some people have to commute for hours just to do the crap work.

How long until some scumbag says says something like "get a better job then."

They need to be in the big cities/suburbs of the bigger cities to get access to immigration offices ect. Though I don't have an issue bringing immigrants into the country I do have an issue with bringing 50,000 people while our country is in an economical crisis and have our own problems. Does anyone know of the 50,000 people roughly how many are being sponsored (support system in place) and how many of they are government funded cases? 

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Either way, we've the room.  And as they are only picking the cream of the crop in medical industrial and technological professionals and then only full families that have been in europe over the last year or two.

Not a huge worry as most will end up in smaller areas spread out across the country and will still face horrific xenophobic resistance from the usual suspects every step of the way

They will eventually all end up in major cities since there are no restriction of movement in Canada.  They will end up in communities where there are the most Muslims.   We saw it with the Vietnamese refugees where they began in small communities but they are all moved to the big cities as time went on.

49 minutes ago, Fateless said:

Not going to lie, I'm damn impressed no one has hijacked this thread yet by complaining about Trudeau and how bringing in these refugees is going to be the death of us all.

I'm glad to see Canada taking in as many refugees as is safe and secure for us. So long as they make sure to do the proper screenings, the more the merrier. 

It's a Christmas miracle!

45 minutes ago, Fateless said:

Why stop at 50,000 refugees then, make it as million if you think we should take as many refugees as possible.   They are hundreds of millions of refugees in the world, should we take them all in?   The United States has ten times the population of Canada and they are only taking in 10,000 Syrian Refugees.

1 hour ago, canuktravella said:

the fact that the arab world is doing nothing to help these people is ridiculous   

More of a travesty than ridiculous.  The only solution to what is going on over there is to have the them figure it out themselves and take responsibility for the outcome.  The rest of the world just messes it up and creates a kind of welfare system for continuing war and refugee creation.

Archived