The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Blues' D Kevin Shatternkirk 'in play on the trade front'

86Viking

12 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Do you have reading comprehension issues? I just explained why it doesn't make sense and you write out a whole paragraph asking exactly what I just posted.

It's going to take a big piece, 1 of your top prospects and a pick to acquire him.

Then he's UFA in 1 year. He's going to want 7 or 8 mill as he's going to be a 50+ pts guy. Why would he re sign in Vancouver on a rebuilding team when he's UFA and can go anywhere he wants. 

So what happens is you lose what you paid for him for 1 year of service, then he walks to the highest bidder or SC contender. It's stupid and senseless to do for Vancouver. 

IF JB wants him he'll go after him when he's UFA 1.5 years from now. He can outbid all other teams and hope this kid choses Vancouver. But JB won't be trading for him.

Well I guess you know it all and can read minds so you don't need anyone to tell you anything. Some people are justs Legends. :lol:

Just now, EdgarM said:

Well I guess you know it all and can read minds so you don't need anyone to tell you anything. Some people are justs Legends. :lol:

::D Clearly you recognize greatness when you come upon it. Good on you, keep your head down and keep working hard, maybe one day you too can be great.

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

::D Clearly you recognize greatness when you come upon it. Good on you, keep your head down and keep working hard, maybe one day you too can be great.

Bahaha!!!!!! Proof that you are truly are a "legend in your own mind". My opinion has nothing to do with it. :lol::P::D

4 hours ago, suitup said:

I can imagine RNH being in play for this guy. Shattenkirk is something the Canucks desperately need, but do not have the assets to acquire. Can't imagine the Canucks are in on this. 

edm didnt want jones for rnh apparently not sure if there is legit truth to that though

As much as he would be a good fit here, I don't think we should be going after him. His age does not fit in with our next core. I wouldn't want to trade for a defenseman if they are going to be in decline when our kids are stepping up. Not only that, I would rather not give up the necessary assets for a right-handed defenseman in his prime. It would cost too much. I would be much more comfortable giving up those assets for Hamonic or Barrie as they will still b e effective when our next core will be. Unfortunately, we do not know exactly what those other GM's are asking for those players.

21 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

I think with a player of his calibre you're gonna have to inquire, but the asking price will be massive. 1st + Virtanen + Hutton? I'm not sure that would get it done since Virtanen isn't a sure thing yet. Maybe if you throw in Horvat instead but the Canucks would balk at that.

Its not that we don't have the pieces to get it done, we just don't have an abundance of good young players to make it worth dealing a few away.

what is with theses valuations - Ryan Johansen just got traded straight up for Seth Jones. Seth Jones is good and may be a future 1D but he may not be. He is most likley going to be a 2D. People were saying it was going to have to be Horvat+Virtanen+1st for RJ, that is a massive over payment. That 1st could be top 10.

A fair trade would be like Hutton + Hansen for Shattenkirk - a trade which I would not do. I would something like Shinkaruk + Hamhuis+ 2016 2nd (which will be high). But if I was tampa - I would look at Backes and Shattenkirk for something like Drouin + Garrison + 1st, that will end up being a late 1st. And TB will need a bonifide 1C when Stamkos leaves. This could be their last shot at a cup.

even better - Shattenkirk + Ott (to balance salary-guy is injured an UFA at end of the year) for Shinkaruk+Vrbata + Sbisa or 2016 2nd.

sign Lucic and Ladd in off season

waive burrows and higgins - I am sorry but both guys are heavily overpaid and have outlived their usefullness to this team. Burrows had a solid year last year but this year he looks more like the guy from the Tortorella year.

I would also love to waive Miller but I just do not see JB doing that bc they are too close friends

resign Hamhuis to heavy discount - like 2.5/year x 2 yrs

sedin sedin Lucic

Beartschi Horvat Ladd

Shinkaruk Sutter Virtanen

Dorsette Mccann Hansen

Prust at 1.25/yr

Edler Shattenkirk

Hutton Tanev

Pedan Hamhuis

Tryamkin

Markstrom

Miller

21 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

what is with theses valuations - Ryan Johansen just got traded straight up for Seth Jones. Seth Jones is good and may be a future 1D but he may not be. He is most likley going to be a 2D. People were saying it was going to have to be Horvat+Virtanen+1st for RJ, that is a massive over payment. That 1st could be top 10.

A fair trade would be like Hutton + Hansen for Shattenkirk - a trade which I would not do. I would something like Shinkaruk + Hamhuis+ 2016 2nd (which will be high). But if I was tampa - I would look at Backes and Shattenkirk for something like Drouin + Garrison + 1st, that will end up being a late 1st. And TB will need a bonifide 1C when Stamkos leaves. This could be their last shot at a cup.

I'm sorry but if Benning was offered that and turned it down we'd be calling for his head. As good as Hutton is Shattenkirk is 3 times better. 

9 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

This is a D man that stands out and would help us get better!I would take a shot at trying to get him if I were JB!

I agree, but I would not move our only good young d man (Hutton) to do so, that does not really fit with a true retool/rebuild plan, bc in 2-3 yrs, Shattenkirk could tail off and then our young nhl ready d cupboard is empty again - see below. I rather lose a 2nd + than hutton. If JB really wants to stay young and competitive, he would try to move an excess forward and get shattenkirk - I mean really - if we sign Lucic and/or Ladd next year will we have room for beartschi AND all of Shinkaruk, Emerson, Virtanen, Gaunce etc...

1 hour ago, Pears said:

I'm sorry but if Benning was offered that and turned it down we'd be calling for his head. As good as Hutton is Shattenkirk is 3 times better. 

see above, Hutton is YOUNGER, so of course he is not as good as he will be when he is 26 yrs old.

24 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

We wouldn't be trading a D as they are set at D,we would move picks and forwards.

Too bad JB jumped the gun and gave sutter a NTC otherwise Vrbata (50% salar retained) + Sutter + Shunkaruk for Shattenkirk and 2nd 2016 would have been a good trade.

I would do Vrbata + Shinkaruk + Pedan/Tryamkin + Hansen for Shattenkirk and 2016 1st.

On January 8, 2016 at 1:32 PM, Smiley2051 said:

A lot of people connecting the Blues to the Lightning, in play for a deal for Drouin?

I can see a deal like that happening. Hedman and Shattenkirk as a top 2 pairing in Tampa would be scary. The only issue on Tampa's side is their cap hit. Adding someone like Shattenkirk who is also due for a contract extension and a major pay day $$$ will also add to the list of players Yzerman has to try resigning within the next year or 2. Primarily Stamkos, Hedman, and then Shattenkirk. 

Is Barrie a better target for us as he is a bit younger, although he is not signed past this year, but as an rfa what is the max he could get thru arbitration anyone know?

shattenkirk turns 27 this month ufa at 28

Barrie turns 25 in july rfa after this year

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 8:27 PM, WHL rocks said:

It's going to take a big piece, 1 of your top prospects and a pick to acquire him.

Then he's UFA in 1 year. He's going to want 7 or 8 mill as he's going to be a 50+ pts guy. Why would he re sign in Vancouver on a rebuilding team when he's UFA and can go anywhere he wants. 

So what happens is you lose what you paid for him for 1 year of service, then he walks to the highest bidder or SC contender. It's stupid and senseless to do for Vancouver. 

IF JB wants him he'll go after him when he's UFA 1.5 years from now. He can outbid all other teams and hope this kid choses Vancouver. But JB won't be trading for him.

Unless he bends over and spanks the STL management I don't see JB trading for this guy.

Truly the voice of reason. Concerns about the d-core are legit but a desperation move to trade for help by moving prospects and picks cannot happen and is very unrealistic IMHO. Vancouver has lucked out as I see Biega as a legit #5 in the making and Hutton by all appearances to date looks top 4. Sbisa is a hoped for top 4 as well. Bartkowski shows flashes and Weber will be gone. The big issue is Edler - Tanev. Edler continues to have the confidence of all the coaches that he has played under which says something. I always wanted a more defensive role for him with reduces TOI to 22 minutes. I am hoping that Hutton takes more on next year. At some point either Edler or Tanev might be dealt depending on the deal. It would have to be a good deal.

I think this "Report" is hogwash! What team openly trades their highest scoring D-man? Shattenkirk and Pietrangelo are the blues D anchors....you trade Bouwmeester, Steen, Stastny, Ott or someone else first. And Backes isn't going anywhere either, just in case someone decides to re-invent that rumour.

Archived