The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ducks F Horcoff suspended 20 games for PEDs

Philthy

Anaheim Ducks forward Shawn Horcoff has been suspended 20 games by the National Hockey League for violating the terms of the NHL/NHLPA Performance Enhancing Substances Program.

The NHL made the announcement Tuesday.

As mandated by the collective bargaining agreement, the suspension is accompanied by mandatory referral to the NHL/NHLPA Program for Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health for evaluation and possible treatment.

Based on his average annual salary, Horcoff will forfeit $357,526.88.

The NHL said it would have no further comment on the matter.

14 minutes ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

Not that I disagree, but is Horcoff still considered a scoring forward?

I'm wondering how he's on PED's when he's awful.  But maybe just to stay in the league.

Perhaps they'd like Burr to replace him? :lol:

2 minutes ago, nzan said:

i often wonder about this...for a player like this, or when someone who's been an average player for a long time makes a sudden unexpected improvement...i guess i just wonder how much the league really enforces this.

I don't see any improvement... lol

And by the looks of the stats he wasn't using them correctly :lol:

Gary Valk said on 1040 over 1/3 of the guys were on PED's when he was playing. I bet it's even more now. Testing is so lax that you really have to be stupid or extremely unlucky to get caught. NHL can do maximum 2 tests per year. With players making millions they hire professionals to set up their cycles and use drugs that can't be detected. 

With $10's of millions on the line for each player, not hard to understand why they'd do it. 

I really don't care if they do it. Why not let them all do it, better entertainment for me if players perform at higher levels.

I don't think they do it necessarily for the performance enhancing effects but more for injury recovery.

Where you are bound to see more usage is in the minors where guys are trying to improve and get into the NHL.

But it's debatable how much better you can be at hockey with PEDs. Most hockey players are tall and lean. Adding extra bulk can slow you down. Sure you might get a slightly harder shot or be stronger in the corners but is that really worth it?

1 hour ago, Visp said:

Anaheim Ducks forward Shawn Horcoff has been suspended 20 games by the National Hockey League for violating the terms of the NHL/NHLPA Performance Enhancing Substances Program.

The NHL made the announcement Tuesday.

As mandated by the collective bargaining agreement, the suspension is accompanied by mandatory referral to the NHL/NHLPA Program for Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health for evaluation and possible treatment.

Based on his average annual salary, Horcoff will forfeit $357,526.88.

The NHL said it would have no further comment on the matter.

Thank you.

What is wrong with people creating threads that they can't include an excerpt of the article their posting...

12 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

I don't think they do it necessarily for the performance enhancing effects but more for injury recovery.

Where you are bound to see more usage is in the minors where guys are trying to improve and get into the NHL.

But it's debatable how much better you can be at hockey with PEDs. Most hockey players are tall and lean. Adding extra bulk can slow you down. Sure you might get a slightly harder shot or be stronger in the corners but is that really worth it?

Completely ignorant (not being rude, but ignorant in true sense of the word) Hockey players are amongst the best candidates for PED's. Just about everything about the sport, the way it's played, the stop and go, the speed required, core strength required, the endurance, the physicality and recovery time. All those things could be vastly improved with PED's.

There are hundreds of different types of PED's. Very few of them are used for bulking, ie DBol or Test. Drugs are stacked and used in cycles to accomplish different goals. You could be a marathon runner or body builder, there are drugs for either of you.  Different drugs do different things. 

Do you think cross country cyclists need to bulk up? Yet cycling is full of doping. 

4 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Thank you.

What is wrong with people creating threads that they can't include an excerpt of the article their posting...

Elvis, do you know if this NHL testing program includes performance enhancers and HGH?  Was Horcoff caught using recreational drugs, or cheating?  

9 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Completely ignorant (not being rude, but ignorant in true sense of the word) Hockey players are amongst the best candidates for PED's. Just about everything about the sport, the way it's played, the stop and go, the speed required, core strength required, the endurance, the physicality and recovery time. All those things could be vastly improved with PED's.

There are hundreds of different types of PED's. Very few of them are used for bulking, ie DBol or Test. Drugs are stacked and used in cycles to accomplish different goals. You could be a marathon runner or body builder, there are drugs for either of you.  Different drugs do different things. 

Do you think cross country cyclists need to bulk up? Yet cycling is full of doping. 

Plus, the unnatural aggression some PEDs create too.  How about putting a guy like Vey on the Ben Johnson diet?  

Personally, with suspension, monetary loss and public shaming, I can not see the risk worth the reward when playing.. 

But if injured to ensure a full and strong recovery from an injury, to try to eliminate its reoccurrence.. .  Thats very debatable.  Espescially to a vet who is 30ish trying to extend the longevity of his career and earnings..  Your options are out on the street? or back on the ice?

To think that they caught him is amazing, i dont think testing is at random, but rather, scheduled.. 

And testing one player can be in the thousands of dollars.

Just throwing this out there, but maybe in some sports, that have a high physical level of contact.. some of the drugs and meds should be debated on their pro's & con's for healing or recovery. Im not speaking  of a total acceptance for "performance enhancement",. But perhaps a partial acceptance for full recovery and healing.

Its obvious this is taking place to some extent already.. Maybe bringing it out into the open regulates and controls it.. Possibly raising the funds for even better testing and control..  ??  Should make for some i n t e r e s t i n g  opinions ??

Archived