The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Brandon Prust Clears Waivers

canucks411

Just now, elvis15 said:

Kassian could end up Grabner-esque, where he wouldn't have done here what he was motivated by with the waivers and all that elsewhere. Knowing what we know now we had to try for a deal. It remains to be seen if he's useful longer term in Edmonton though.

We know Prust isn't useful here. I like him as a player and was happy enough we acquired him (but not about his cap hit, or for what we moved before we knew what we knew), he just hasn't had it this year. If we can recoup our pick or a little better one I'll have to be happy

I agree Kassian was never going to succeed here, but not because of substance abuse issues:  the real issue was a disagreement between him and management over what kind of player he should be.  And it does indeed remain to be seen how things turn out for him in Edmonton, but so far so good.  Here, however, the book on Prust is closed.  Kass won't have to do much to improve on what Prust did for us.  Face it, that deal was a loser. 

1 minute ago, Chalky said:

In your opinion.  I have the opposite one.  Some people are harder to help than others. No one is beyond help.

i still think the best thing for him was getting him out of vancouver. the car accident was a blessing in disguise and hopefully will be enough to shake him up and get him to deal with his issues in a more positive way.

9 minutes ago, Chalky said:

You post like a well loved insider, is that you Gallagher?  The team proclaims to do all this work with people with mental illness, I think they could have done more, that's my opinion.  It was a bad trade, you can defend Benning all you want, but I don't really trash on him so it doesn't really affect me.  What does offend me is being called a clown for stating an opinion. Show some respect.

More what and how?  As if you even know all they did?  Smyl said they all tried to work with him, and Benning offered him around the league, and there were NO TAKERS.  What is so difficult to understand?

You are entitled to your opinion, but you are also making it contrary to reality and thus on nothing but superstition.  If you didn't like "clownish", would you have preferred "speaking out of willful ignorance"?

8 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Oh I see, facts like he didn't plow into a tree until he was no longer a Canuck? 

I am honestly surprised at the reaction to my comment.  I like Zack, I never liked Prust.  I don't trash on JB with any regularity, but I call it as I see it.  This club is supposed to be a bastion of support for those with mental illness, and I think more could have been done.  Now be honest, are you reacting out of hate for Kassian or do you really think the trade was good.

Neither. You're repeating the same meaningless sentence and using that as your shield. 

"I think they should have done more because this franchise believes in fighting mental illness."

Let's disregard the fact that substance abuse and mental illness are not the same thing. You're apparently of the belief that putting a guy into a program designed to help him overcome a problem while shielding said problem from the eyes of a rabid fanbase is not doing enough. Which leads me to this.

5 minutes ago, Chalky said:

In your opinion.  I have the opposite one.  Some people are harder to help than others. No one is beyond help.

You're right. No one is beyond help. The critical part is missing, here.

They can't be forced to help themselves. They have to admit to a problem, want to change and commit to seeing it through. Zack did not do this until his escapades could have seriously hurt himself or someone else.

9 minutes ago, TheOgRook said:

Lol this guys a treat! 

Desiboy re-incarnated.. Last chance and then I file you in the "I just don't get it crowd"

Not once in prudes career has he done anything like he's done lately.  Speaking to his lack of character.  Who has ultimate control of that? Benning.. No the player does.. So if you want to continue to cry about something, start nagging about Prusts lack of intensity.

Since we are "breaking things down"

Prust is brought in as a character guy and role player.  Does this all the way up till his injury as one of the Canucks leading scorers, and PIM leaders playing on a 4th line where Mcann is on fire as a rookie.    *** now this sounds like Benning did his job.

Prust suffers a High ankle sprain Mcann goes cold .  And when Prust finally does come back he is fragile mentally and lacking a step.  *** well the injury sure isn't Bennings fault!  And Prusts injury is one of the hardest for a player to come back from. Again NOT BENNINGS FAULT!

there is no market for a guy who is coming off said injury 4 weeks prior to deadline.. Do you see the trend here..

As far as the comments and Prusts attitude since the injury.. Only he can control that.. Oh wait.. Willie D and Benning did the rot thing again by setting an example and creating a positive work environment where the best players will play..

Yeah.. Benning sucks 

Who is this "prudes" you speak of?  Wipe the drool off your face, man.

Lol at all these people acting like Kassian was all of a sudden our team MVP and that 5th round pick was gonna be Gretzky.  Youd think Benning just traded Horvat with how mad some of you are. We didn't want Kassian, clearly neither did Montreal. So we flipped him for a tough guy who decided at the halfway point (probably after Higgins was waived and he realized he was just a rental) that he was only going to worry about himself. Neither Kassian, Prust, or a 5th was ever gonna be a factor in rebuilding this team. Chill.

44 minutes ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

prust on waivers and my lottery ticket won 21.00$ does it get any better than this?

Nice. Decent amount for a lotto man, was it a scratch and win?   Thing with Prust is I hope he goes unclaimed and we can get something for him at the deadline IF we're selling. Plus I wish he'd get back playing time and play well, at the start of the season he was aggressive, mentoring Jake, and making heady passes and getting points.

7 minutes ago, Lui's Knob said:

Prust played horrible slow hockey here and didn't intimidate anyone. Benning blows another player trade. Gives a 5th for free. When do we get picks for free?

Wonder if Dorsett called Benning.

Second round pick for torts. This was literally months ago :picard:

Gotta say it's a breath of fresh air to have management that is not afraid to make difficult decisions just to save face. 

AWESOME JOB MR.BENNING. LOVE WHAT YOUVE DONE AND CONTINUE TO DO WITH THIS TEAM. 

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!! 

Thumbs up if you agree! :towel:

image.jpeg

Ps. Ironically Prust is in my sig lol

Archived