The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Brandon Prust Clears Waivers

canucks411

9 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It wasn't trading Hodgson that was the problem. It was the timing and what we got back. If Gillis had simply sucked it up, played Hodgson. I'm pretty sure he would have padded his stats at the end of the season. Then let everyone know Hodgson was available, and got a prospect and a pick for him. What bugs me more is we don't get top 10 picks that often, it just hurts it doesn't pan out. 

That's what I mean. If he had actually explored all options instead of trading for the toughness he thought the team lacked, we would have come out way better.

Imagine we had traded for a young puck moving defenseman. We would be much farther ahead in the rebuild process now.

32 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

We could have gotten atleast a pick for Prust..  JB doesn't know how to manage assets worth ****

Ah yes, you know what the trade market is like because you're best buds with the GM's in the league. Please, do share some more insider info. 

2 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

I guess you forgot the part where Benning said he was there to create a safe working environment for the kids.  How did that work out for us?  Do I need to "break it down for you" any further?

Lol this guys a treat! 

Desiboy re-incarnated.. Last chance and then I file you in the "I just don't get it crowd"

Not once in prudes career has he done anything like he's done lately.  Speaking to his lack of character.  Who has ultimate control of that? Benning.. No the player does.. So if you want to continue to cry about something, start nagging about Prusts lack of intensity.

Since we are "breaking things down"

Prust is brought in as a character guy and role player.  Does this all the way up till his injury as one of the Canucks leading scorers, and PIM leaders playing on a 4th line where Mcann is on fire as a rookie.    *** now this sounds like Benning did his job.

Prust suffers a High ankle sprain Mcann goes cold .  And when Prust finally does come back he is fragile mentally and lacking a step.  *** well the injury sure isn't Bennings fault!  And Prusts injury is one of the hardest for a player to come back from. Again NOT BENNINGS FAULT!

there is no market for a guy who is coming off said injury 4 weeks prior to deadline.. Do you see the trend here..

As far as the comments and Prusts attitude since the injury.. Only he can control that.. Oh wait.. Willie D and Benning did the rot thing again by setting an example and creating a positive work environment where the best players will play..

Yeah.. Benning sucks 

9 minutes ago, Winter Soldier said:

I guess you missed the part where JB put Zack through Stage 1 of the Substance Abuse program. After which Zack plowed into a tree while intoxicated. Don't let facts get in the way, or anything.

Oh I see, facts like he didn't plow into a tree until he was no longer a Canuck? 

I am honestly surprised at the reaction to my comment.  I like Zack, I never liked Prust.  I don't trash on JB with any regularity, but I call it as I see it.  This club is supposed to be a bastion of support for those with mental illness, and I think more could have been done.  Now be honest, are you reacting out of hate for Kassian or do you really think the trade was good.

6 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

Kassian is back on Edmonton..he was brought back up yesterday with Rienhart....he was sent down to play some games during the all star break.

Kassian for Prust and a 5th is a bad trade in spite of any issues Kassian had. Prust's cap hit alone made it a bad trade let alone the fact it was obvious he didn't want to be here, protect the kids as he was sold on us by Benning, or display any character and leadership (I better play coach!!!!).

Benning has done some decent trades but this one was a mistake all the way around. Maybe Kassian never would have smartened up without being traded but the return was brutal.

That is just honest assessment and not even hindsight. It was obvious at the time too.

3 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

Kassian is back on Edmonton..he was brought back up yesterday with Rienhart....he was sent down to play some games during the all star break.

We'll see how it goes for him. The way I see it, he's right on the edge. The edge of making a comeback and not playing in he NHL again. I wish him the best of luck, as I always have. It wasn't happening here, unfortunately.

19 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Luckily I actually have a track record on Kassian and was on record at the time and afterwards as hating the trade.  I've always supported him as a player and still do. 

If by some means, Kassian manages to redeem himself and become a player who can contribute in the NHL, he never would have been that player in Vancouver. He needed to be traded and to hit bottom to get a wake up call. Van tried to get him to turn things around, but he wouldn't take anything seriously. Benning managed to trade a player that was ruining his career for a player who should have contributed to this team. It's not Bennings fault that Prust turned out to be a dud. We might have lost a pick, but we could still get that back, and if we don't, we still end up shedding cap space and making room for our youth. Benning is making moves that make sense, which is nice to see. Really looking forward to this off season and the next few years to come. 

13 minutes ago, Winter Soldier said:

You know you can't really do much for people who won't help themselves, right?

In your opinion.  I have the opposite one.  Some people are harder to help than others. No one is beyond help.

13 minutes ago, Winter Soldier said:

You know you can't really do much for people who won't help themselves, right?

In your opinion.  I have the opposite one.  Some people are harder to help than others. No one is beyond help.

4 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

You forgot to conclude with "don't let the facts get in the way" as with the theme of this thread

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Clowns can be funny and/or scary. Maybe take heart in the fact that some posters are either afraid of you or amused by you.

Chalky the Clown has a ring to it.

Chalky the clown in a Prusty the clown thread..... well I never :shock:

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

Kassian for Prust and a 5th is a bad trade in spite of any issues Kassian had. Prust's cap hit alone made it a bad trade let alone the fact it was obvious he didn't want to be here, protect the kids as he was sold on isn't Benning, or display any character and leadership (I better play coach!!!!).

Benning has done some decent trades but this one was a mistake a the way around. Maybe Kassian never would have smartened up without being traded but the return was brutal.

That is just honest assessment and not even hindsight. It was obvious at the time too.

Prust's contract was only one year, so did it really matter in the grand scheme of things? I don't think taking Prust's salary hurt us in free agency last year, and it's not gonna hurt us this summer.

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The real trade was lost when we traded Hodgson for Kassian. If we had traded for any other player we'd probably still have them.

Both players ended up on waivers so it's no real loss. I'm not gonna lose sleep over a 5th round pick.

Prust deserves to be on waivers. He had little value to this team or any other team the way he was playing. I'm sure Montreal took a look at him and passed.

Fans do not know the extent of his injury or whether he pushed to hard coming back. The 4th line last fall was doing great work and Prust was doing a great job. The same way that John Scott was welcomed at the All-Star game is the same reason that Prust should be respected for what he brought to the Canucks. The Flamers manhandled the Canucks in an embarrassing way last spring. JB brought Prust in to help Dorsett counter that. Prust was delivering on that as his PIM's were leading the NHL.

Canuck team mates watched last year as Dorsett was pounded into the ice on some nights. How many times did I watch as they left him high and dry against players 30 - 40 pounds heavier. Fans were quick to jump all over Prust as he made the point that the rookies had to learn how to stand up for themselves. Well they do! They have to learn that their play can generate a physical response and that Prust might not be on the ice to bail them out. Virtanen pounded by Getzlaf, so what? A young 215 pound rookie wrestling with a vet who did not like some of Jake's hits. Part of learning the game. I hardly think Jake thought he was abandoned. More likely Prust took him aside after and coached his effort.

Players on the Habs and Rangers had nothing but good to say about what Prust brought on the ice and in the room. Canuck fans should listen to what his Canuck team mates had to say before making unfounded conclusions. The fact that he was waived is more an effort to clear roster space for younger players to play this spring. I don't think Prust was in the plans for next year anyways.

1 minute ago, Chalky said:

Oh I see, facts like he didn't plow into a tree until he was no longer a Canuck? 

I am honestly surprised at the reaction to my comment.  I like Zack, I never liked Prust.  I don't trash on JB with any regularity, but I call it as I see it.  This club is supposed to be a bastion of support for those with mental illness, and I think more could have been done.  Now be honest, are you reacting out of hate for Kassian or do you really think the trade was good.

Hockey is a business first, mental support center second. Kassian was harming the team's morale and doing nothing useful on the ice - therefore he was traded.

The Canucks have supported mental illness awareness and charities for a long time - to say they don't do enough is ridiculous. They aren't there to hold AA meetings, they're there to win hockey games - Kassian wasn't helping do that so he got booted.

2 minutes ago, Bang Bang Boogie said:

Benning made a mistake and is not afraid to make moves to fix it.  This is how I see it.

I don't think he made a mistake. You can't predict how a player is going to fit in on a team.

Prust was a fan favourite in Montreal and played pretty well here early on. He could have been a good player for us, but he never fully recovered from his injury.

I do like how he is willing to make room for players who have earned it though.

Archived