The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why is Dorsett here?

RetroCanuck

5 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Why is Dorsett here? He isn't doing anything... 9 points in 48 game, shows odd spurts of physicality(no consistency), -9 and yet is being paid $2.65M...I have nothing against the guy besides how little he is producing so Im wondering why he isn't on the trade block? Is he worthless in a trade?

He's fast, he hits, he can score, he gives a more experienced voice to the youngsters. Oh yea and he fights and sticks up for teammates without hesitating. That's why.

hes been a great player for us and has fit a role very well.

he also looked to really aid in horvats development last season so dont hate on the guy. 

A why do we need Dorsett thread?

That's cold, bruh.

That guy works hard, and has arguably taken over the agitator role for the last couple of season.

Bow in appreciation. Chances are, everyone else would have a harder time scoring without him out there.

On February 5, 2016 at 5:29 PM, RetroCanuck said:

Why is Dorsett here? He isn't doing anything... 9 points in 48 game, shows odd spurts of physicality(no consistency), -9 and yet is being paid $2.65M...I have nothing against the guy besides how little he is producing so Im wondering why he isn't on the trade block? Is he worthless in a trade?

No disrespect but have you ever played hockey?  Dorsett is one of those guys you hate playing against.  He has a good motor, excellent competitiveness and is a true gamer.  What would you do if you were on the ice and an opponent kept on being a thorn in your side, considering you're not a fighter?  Enter Dorsett.  He makes you play an honest game or you'll have to answer to him.  He answers the bell. He does it without being asked by a teammate or coach.  It is a difficult job and a reason why he's highly liked and respected in his own room and around the league.  Guys love him and he earns his salary.  Getting some points is expected, getting more would be a huge bonus.

Dorset is exactly the kind of guy we need for our rebuild.  He is loyal will stick up for and protect the kids.

We actually could use another Dorset V 2 though on our team as well.   It is too much to expect Dorset alone to fill this role. Prust proved he is soft. Only want the staged fights , and holding on after 5 seconds.  I would have prefered to have Tostito back. 

On February 5, 2016 at 5:29 PM, RetroCanuck said:

Why is Ryan Miller here, he doesn't score  or get assists. Same thing with Markstrom, though as a younger guy maybe his offense will pick up in the years to come.

10 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Dorset is exactly the kind of guy we need for our rebuild.  He is loyal will stick up for and protect the kids.

We actually could use another Dorset V 2 though on our team as well.   It is too much to expect Dorset alone to fill this role.

Which is exactly why they brought in Prust.

Then Prust says "The kids gotta stick up for themselves" , and now he plays for Utica.

Know yer roll, Prust.

First off - Lucky Lager is one of my fav local beers.

Secondly, why would the canucks have traded for a  30 yr old goon / agitator hobbled the last 2 year due to injuries.

Trader Jim once again proved he is better at drafting players than trading for players.....

23 hours ago, BanTSN said:

And then there's the issue of Yannick Weber, another pending UFA.  There are some tough decisions upcoming for Jim Benning.

Doesn't seem like that tough a decision any more. Hamhuis > Weber. Biega > Weber.

Dorsett is being slightly overpaid to train our young guys to show up on the ice and play the right way, 100% every time. If you don't like the little extra cap hit, check Edmonton's rebuild status and see the details of the fine (absent) leadership. I'm okay with it, he brings it every shift.

On 2/5/2016 at 6:35 PM, coastal1 said:

"Dorsett will fight anyone anytime," Too bad he doesn't scare anyone! Offering yourself as a punching bag can relieve the other team's frustrations I suppose.

Yes as far as intimidation factor, maybe he does not have that cache. I however love his blood and guts style of play and will respect that anyday. He is quite good at agitating and we have a quiet bench, nice to have a guy who is willing to chirp back. 

Archived