The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markus Granlund | #60 | C/W

Johnny Torts

Article:

When the Canucks acquired Markus Granlund at last year's trade deadline, it was his well-rounded defensive game that caught their eye. A season later he's grabbing everyone's attention with crafty setups like the one that levelled the score in Friday's contest with the Tampa Bay Lightning.

That assist was Granlund's 13th point in his 31st game of the season. Prorated over a full season, that's a 35 point pace. In today's NHL, that's second line production.

Granlund's been an everything man for the Canucks. He's produced consistently on a line marred by moving parts and restoration projects. That versatility is something Granlund's cognizant of; something he takes a great deal of pride in bringing to the lineup.

"Yeah, I think when you’re a young player you have to be good defensively." Granlund told Canucks Army. "That’s part of my game, of course.

I try to be good defensively, and I’m trying to be good offensively too."

A cursory glance at Granlund's underlying shot-based metrics reveals a strong net positive presence in the Canucks lineup. Among active Canucks skaters with 100-plus minutes, Granlund's 49.5% score and venue adjusted Corsi ranks second.

It's not Granlund's defensive play that's driving these results, though. The calming effect we'd generally associate with Granlund's pedigree hasn't yet taken hold. Not this season. Only Loui Eriksson is averaging a higher Corsi event rate at even strength than Granlund  Based on a conversation I had this weekend with an NHL scout, that's always been a present element in Granlund's skill set. It was just a matter of time before he showcased as much. 

"Based on his play in international tournaments and then his progression and development in the AHL he provided enough evidence

for me to think both his offensive and defence attributes could translate into the NHL once he turned 23-24 age range"

Those comments hold weight under further scrutiny. Granlund produced at nearly a point per game pace in the AHL, with 75 points in 82 career games in the Calgary Flames system. The EliteProspects database shows 78 points in 61 International Junior contests, too.

Granlund echoed those sentiments, adding "when I was a kid and played juniors, I played on top lines. I believe that’s a part of

my game -- to score goals, and be good offensively. I know I can do that. That’s my game.

At first glance, Granlund's paltry 1.02 P/60 might belie the progress he's making towards that end. The Canucks have an expected goals rate of nearly three an hour with Granlund on the ice, trumped only by Jannik Hansen. I'd expect once Granlund's luck improves (third worst PDO on the team) that much will reflect itself in his production not long after.

And whether the Canucks can afford to wait for as much or not, Willie Desjardins deserves his share of credit for not succumbing to the pressure those percentages might thrust upon him as a coach in a results-based industry. That kind of trust is exactly what Granlund pointed to as a driving influence in his resurgence in Vancouver.

"Of course, when coaches trust you -- that’s the biggest thing. Helps you gain confidence." Granlund exclaimed. "It's been good

for me here. I like the system over here, and it's pretty fun."

Granlund's most frequent linemate, Eriksson, offered an explanation as to why the coaches might be so trusting of their Finnish pivot. "Granlund's been doing a good job. He's a pretty smart player out there. He thinks the game the right way." Eriksson told Canucks Army. "Granlund can make some good passes out there. You saw that the other night -- that pass to Sutter was pretty nice."

Something tells me Granlund has a few more of those in his future. And while he's making it easy for his teammates to contribute, his play is quickly forcing the Canucks into an expansion predicament further down the road. Then again, I'm almost certain they're willing to suffer it if this production continues.

• Upvote 2

On 12/27/2016 at 5:33 AM, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah Granny has been playing well. Underrated playmaking ability.

Has the potential to be a versatile and reliable middle 6 winger for us. Higgins-level of player.

If only he could improve on the dot. He could become a very good 3rd C if he did.

I was going to say a Hansen type. Another one of him would be great.

I always liked that we traded a prospect for a young yet  established NHLer. My take on Shink was always that he couldn't carry the play off the wall from his own end as well as be counted on in tough matchup as well as on the PK. Granny has checked off all these boxes and then some. Just a great trade by Benning no matter how Shink develops. If he turns into an elite sniper, I'll have some regrets and maybe hindsight the $&!# out of it, otherwise we added a real solid piece in that trade. Big Benning fan.

Hey, not Bo Horvat for once.  Granlund leaped frog a bunch move to 230th in all-time Canuck scoring.

229.  Bryan McSheffrey RW 87 13 7 20
230.  Markus Granlund C 57 11 9 20
231.  Ryan Walter C 92 9 11 20
232.  Ralph Stewart C 53 8 12 20
233.  David Saunders LW 56 7 13 20
234.  John Schella D 115 2 18 20

The thing most people on CDC didn't realise is how weak Shink was. He just wasn't strong enough for the NHL, and still isn't. I always said that JB thought this and didn't think Shink could be an NHL player. 

This is a real good trade for us. So was the Baercheese trade. CGY will think twice before making another deal with us. 

JB is going to have to find a way to protect this guy for the expansion draft. No way this guy can be exposed. If it means trading Hansen or another forward at the tdl so be it. This is a young guy with a very good future. Can't afford to lose him for nothing. 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Upvote 4

10 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

The thing most people on CDC didn't realise is how weak Shink was. He just wasn't strong enough for the NHL, and still isn't. I always said that JB thought this and didn't think Shink could be an NHL player. 

This is a real good trade for us. So was the Baercheese trade. CGY will think twice before making another deal with us. 

JB is going to have to find a way to protect this guy for the expansion draft. No way this guy can be exposed. If it means trading Hansen or another forward at the tdl so be it. This is a young guy with a very good future. Can't afford to lose him for nothing. 

My big question with both Granlund and Baer are how well they will fair in heavy playoff games. Both have shown a willingness for puck battle but hey are lighter and that raises the injury issue and the ability to get into prime positions. I don't worry about Shink as he is gone. If I were Calgary I would be concerned that he is not getting more NHL games this year.

Don't you just love Granlund's shots from out by the FO circles. Wicked.

I understand that Hansen would bring a decent return. My vets to move however are Miller, the Twins, Burrows, Skille, and Tanev or Edler. All about who brings back the best value. I do not want to lose Sbisa to Vegas!

7 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

My big question with both Granlund and Baer are how well they will fair in heavy playoff games. Both have shown a willingness for puck battle but hey are lighter and that raises the injury issue and the ability to get into prime positions. I don't worry about Shink as he is gone. If I were Calgary I would be concerned that he is not getting more NHL games this year.

I understand that Hansen would bring a decent return. My vets to move however are Miller, the Twins, Burrows, Skille, and Tanev or Edler. All about who brings back the best value. I do not want to lose Sbisa to Vegas!

I know own beartschi was money for the Comets run. But I understand it doesn't always translate.

On 1/7/2017 at 9:42 AM, Boudrias said:

They are both still developing and gaining strength. We have a couple of years before this team has to worry about the playoffs so they have time to get older and stronger. Granlund is only 23 he won't be at peak strength for 3+ years. Safe to say he is and always will be a lot stronger than Shink.

Yeah I hear you on who you would rather be traded but that's no going to happen. Sedins and Edler aren't going anywhere. Tanev might be other wise we trade Sbisa. Miller, Burrows and Hansen maybe out of forwards and Sbisa from the D. Other wise we lose him for nothing to Las Vegas. I think we should be able to stock up on 2 or 3 extra 2nds this tdl. 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

They are both still developing and gaining strength. We have a couple of years before this team has to worry about the playoffs so they have time to get older and stronger. Granlund is only 23 he won't be at peak strength for 3+ years. Safe to say he is and always will be a lot stronger than Shink.

Yeah I hear you on who you would rather be traded but that's no going to happen. Sedins and Edler aren't going anywhere. Tanev might be other wise we trade Sbisa. Miller, Burrows and Hansen maybe out of forwards and Sbisa from the D. Other wise we lose him for nothing to Las Vegas. I think we should be able to stock up on 2 or 3 extra 2nds this tdl. 

Why do we magically become a playoff team in two to three years?  Maybe we are still only bottom 10?