The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Troy Stecher | #51 | D

Gstank29

Just now, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think Hutton is the better all around defenseman. His two-way, three zones, all situations game is just stronger IMO (and of course he's no slouch offensively).

But Stecher might very well be the better offensive defensemen. He seems to have his "offense switch" set on "go" at all times (or certainly whenever his team has the puck or is about to gain possession). He's maybe more dynamic than Hutton as a puck carrier on the rush and Stecher seems to naturally take on the QB role in the offensive zone. He's possibly the more creative player of the two and he seems to be more of a direct threat to score.

But I'd probably want to see more of Stecher (at the pro level) before vaulting him above Hutton (who's already a top-4 D in the NHL.

And last game's 9 shots performance, while certainly encouraging, probably should be taken with a small grain of salt.

It did help that Stecher had Juolevi backing him up last game. I won't say Stecher was poor defensively (and he usually has a fairly tidy two-way game), but let's just say he could have been embarrassed a few times if he had been playing with a lesser partner. And he definitely left Juolevi alone "holding the bag" a couple times.

It was also the first game of the tournament for every player on the ice. And Stecher is older and more developed than most of his competition at this level. So he should stand out (and was expected to). 

Hopefully he will continue to stand out when the competition level ramps up through main camp and preseason.

And I'd be thrilled if Stecher leapfrogs Hutton at the NHL level. Hutton is a top-4 D and arguably has first pairing upside. If Stecher can surpass that, he'll be this team's best undrafted free agent signing since Chris Tanev. 

Wow!  Nice post.  If Stecher is an offensive top four, does that free up JB to move Tanev?  

8 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think Hutton is the better all around defenseman. His two-way, three zones, all situations game is just stronger IMO (and of course he's no slouch offensively).

But Stecher might very well be the better offensive defensemen. He seems to have his "offense switch" set on "go" at all times (or certainly whenever his team has the puck or is about to gain possession). He's maybe more dynamic than Hutton as a puck carrier on the rush and Stecher seems to naturally take on the QB role in the offensive zone. He's possibly the more creative player of the two and he seems to be more of a direct threat to score.

But I'd probably want to see more of Stecher (at the pro level) before vaulting him above Hutton (who's already a top-4 D in the NHL.

And last game's 9 shots performance, while certainly encouraging, probably should be taken with a small grain of salt.

It did help that Stecher had Juolevi backing him up last game. I won't say Stecher was poor defensively (and he usually has a fairly tidy two-way game), but let's just say he could have been embarrassed a few times if he had been playing with a lesser partner. And he definitely left Juolevi alone "holding the bag" a couple times.

It was also the first game of the tournament for every player on the ice. And Stecher is older and more developed than most of his competition at this level. So he should stand out (and was expected to). 

Hopefully he will continue to stand out when the competition level ramps up through main camp and preseason.

And I'd be thrilled if Stecher leapfrogs Hutton at the NHL level. Hutton is a top-4 D and arguably has first pairing upside. If Stecher can surpass that, he'll be this team's best undrafted free agent signing since Chris Tanev. 

I think that was by design with the pairing. Especially since most of our forwards are going to be incapable of scoring in this tourney.

The speed at which Stecher jumps to the attack is exciting.  His agility is explosive in that he can jump right to full speed, full stride effortlessly. Make lateral cuts extremely sharply, at full pace while maintaining fluid puck control and with his head up. Even starts and stops both with extreme quickness AND deceptive smoothness.  

The guy undresses people, and gets the puck places > quickly!

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

no. no. and no.

Where do Gudbranson, Tanev, and Stecher fit then?  Aren't true hockey trades ones where both teams fill a need by trading a piece from strength in their lineup?  We moved McCann to get Gudbranson.  If Stecher is another Hutton, that frees up JB to move Tanev to get us that elusive (young) top six forward.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Where do Gudbranson, Tanev, and Stecher fit then?  Aren't true hockey trades ones where both teams fill a need by trading a piece from strength in their lineup?  We moved McCann to get Gudbranson.  If Stecher is another Hutton, that frees up JB to move Tanev to get us that elusive (young) top six forward.  

Stecher hasn't even laced it up in the AHL yet. You don't trade your best defender in Tanev, just because we have a new shiny toy that has shown well in a prospects tournament. If we are talking about replacing players if Stecher makes the squad, we are talking about Pedan going on waivers/being traded. Not Tanev, not ever Tanev. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

Stecher hasn't even laced it up in the AHL yet. You don't trade your best defender in Tanev, just because we have a new shiny toy that has shown well in a prospects tournament. If we are talking about replacing players if Stecher makes the squad, we are talking about Pedan going on waivers/being traded. Not Tanev, not ever Tanev. 

When Stecher starts eating up Tanev's minutes, then we will know the time has come, and the "pebble was snatched from the master's hand".  Kung Fu Chang - '76.

Every thing I've read ( and I know that's not a lot  and shouldn't have much weight given to it ) but the kids a gamer at every level he's played. He's been a winner ( Jnr A and NCAA ) and has character to over come any size disadvantage for his position. Much like Subban they have an inner toughness to get to where they are. The catch is I don't think Vcr can carry both of them. Many teams do have an under sized D on their roster.... a puck mover and PP type but generally that's only one per roster. The question is does JB deal the

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, D-Money said:

Anything is possible with Stetcher. Nobody - and I mean NOBODY - had Hutton making the NHL at this time last year.

That said, Hutton had 3 very good years in the NCAA, whereas Stecher only produced at a high level this past year, on a stacked team. So, at the same time, going to temper expectations until I see him up against NHL players.

I always expected Stecher to make a serious run at a roster spot this year. I haven't been watching the young stars games but I understand he's shown well so far. He was a tremendous college D.

I love this kid game an compete. I kinda think he has bumped Subban down depth chart .Kinda reminds at times of more skilled Gath Butcher but just has not arrived at Butcher abrasiveness grit levels yet but ,compete an skill levels are real good . The D prospect list is starting to look good , real good.

coach Green effect is totally evident here with young stars tourney.

One thing is clear the D situation at camp just got very interesting .