The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Troy Stecher | #51 | D

Gstank29

20 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Where in the article does it say that? I don't see it unless I missed it.

It's been around several news sources.

- University of North Dakota junior defenceman Troy Stecher from Richmond, B.C. At 5-11 and 191 pounds, with three goals and 13 points in 20 games, scouts are hoping the 21-year-old Stecher could develop like Jared Spurgeon.

http://www.tsn.ca/taking-stock-of-the-u-s-college-free-agent-class-1.410105

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

A right sided Ben Hutton who's better defensively? Nice signing.

Hutton - Stretcher

Tryamkin - Tanev

Sbisa - Subban

Still lacking elite talent on defence but there's a bunch of solid top-4 defencemen there for the future. We just need a true #1 guy though and I hope we get him either at this draft or via a trade (ie. Pouliot, Morrow, Theodore)

Thought this was mainly Utica fodder

11 minutes ago, Kanucklehead10 said:

Not really a surprise. He publicly stated he wanted to come here.

It was just up to Benning and Linden not to fu*k it up

If you understood all that is the Alf you'd see it's a joke. Browse through the Demko or Boeser thread. Or even the Jordan Subban thread before he signed, guys going to give himself an anurism.

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Thanks to Benning and the whole coaching staff selling him on the team as well as Boeser.

Just cause he's a fan doesn't mean he was always going to sign here. Lots of good offers were made to him. He could have easily pulled a Schultz and gone to Edmonton.

Give credit where credit is due.

Key words: could have

But he didn't.

He stated that he wanted to be a Canuck, and the team that he was interested in him also showed the same interest so it turned out that way. It's pretty straightforward. 

I don't need to sympathize and tell management "good job" each time they do something. It's their job.

Edited by Kanucklehead10

7 minutes ago, Hoosierdaddy said:

Maybe a stupid question but if Stecher were to be drafted this year (yes I realize he's been passed over repeatedly) what round do we suppose he'd go in? I'm trying to wrap my head around what level of a prospect people really think he is. 

It's a hard question.

His draft year is 2012, if scouts knew how good he'd be in that draft now I'd suspect he'd probably go in the middle 2nd round. He's the same age as Hutton was when he got signed. Basically put up the same numbers, although on a much better team. It's difficult to say.

11 minutes ago, Hoosierdaddy said:

Maybe a stupid question but if Stecher were to be drafted this year (yes I realize he's been passed over repeatedly) what round do we suppose he'd go in? I'm trying to wrap my head around what level of a prospect people really think he is. 

Well, if the Canucks were drafting I would say 5th round since that seems to be where we draft all of our somewhat promising D-men (Corrado, Hutton, Cederholm (maybe not as promising), Forsling, Niell).

But in all seriousness, knowing how he ends up doing, I would say a 2nd or 3rd. I'm not quite as high on him as some people but I'm still excited. 

4 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

So who stays on the bug club between Biega, Larsen, and Stecher? Or are we expecting Stecher to be at Utica for a bit?

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Tryamkin

Sbisa - Biega?

Pedan - Larsen? Stecher?

3 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

I can see Biega being waived as he was a Career minor leaguer before this year. 

I am sure that the "plan" is for Stecher to start in Utica, just as that was the plan with Hutton. That is pretty much always the plan for Ds coming out of college. But if a guy is so good in Camp that he just can't be sent down, as with Hutton, then he has a chance to stick. But that is unlikely to happen two years in a row.

Therefore, I doubt if signing Stecher has a big impact on what happens next year. But I agree that the blueline is getting crowded, especially now that the Canucks are apparently looking seriously at trying to keep Hammer, which I think they should do. Edler, Tanev and Hutton will all be on the team of course. Unless something very strange happens Tryamkin will also start with the team and Benning seems to think Sbisa is a keeper. (And, in fairness, Sbisa is a sold 3rd pairing guy who adds toughness to the team.)

The Canucks apparently plan to give Larsen a shot with the big team and if Hammer is re-signed that takes us to 7 Ds. The Canucks plan to carry 8 guys but Pedan is waiver eligible and I don't think they want to expose him to waivers as he would get taken.

I agree that means that Biega probably gets waived to Utica at the beginning of the season. I am pretty sure he will clear waivers and Benning has emphasized the need to have an extra D or two who can step in if needed.

The other possibility is a trade. Pedan could probably be traded for a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick or for another prospect --  maybe one who is still waiver exempt. Personally I would rather keep Pedan and trade Sbisa as I think Pedan has a higher ceiling and is bigger, stronger and tougher, and is a better skater. Pedan is younger and has some rough edges, but he looks like a guy who could be valuable long term.

• Upvote 3

I like this signing. Like I said before, it will create direct competition with Subban in Utica and bring the best out of both of them in a safe environment. I think Subban has more natural talent, he is built better and has a better chance of making it. Larson can be with the big club next year, but after that I suspect we see both Subban and Stetcher start to push for spots.