The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Troy Stecher | #51 | D

Gstank29

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Short of pretty much all the kids stalling/regressing and at least two to three of Hank, Daniel, Eriksson, Sutter Edler, Tanev or Gudbranson being out long term... there's almost zero chance we're picking top 5 IMO and there's not much top end talent this year by most accounts.

That lack of top talent is why I'd be willing to move our 1st for the right deal this year.

AKA, I doubt we're drafting our 1C this year unless we get really, REALLY lucky.

Would Buffalo take Tanev + our coming first for Sam Reinhart?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

No idea Alf. But something along those lines is what we should be looking for. A team ready to take the next step that has an abundance of forwards but needs a solid D. EDM would be a good fit but being in our division and already doing the Larsen trade probably scratches them off the list.

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, J.R. said:

No idea Alf. But something along those lines is what we should be looking for. A team ready to take the next step that has an abundance of forwards but needs a solid D. EDM would be a good fit but being in our division and already doing the Larsen trade probably scratches them off the list.

I like your idea, conceptually it's solid.  I hope JB is looking at that plan too.  

Feel bad about the guy, he did everything he could to make the Canucks, I absolutely agree with everyone who thinks he has more than earned a spot, but the management did not honour their word. But I don't think he'll risk it and go sign to a different team nxt season, canucks is still the team which gives him the best chance of playing in the NHL 

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

If you'd asked me yesterday I'd have leaned to no, but as of today with Eichel having what appears to be a serious ankle injury in practice this morning I'll say not a chance.

1 hour ago, BlackBeard said:

Feel bad about the guy, he did everything he could to make the Canucks, I absolutely agree with everyone who thinks he has more than earned a spot, but the management did not honour their word. But I don't think he'll risk it and go sign to a different team nxt season, canucks is still the team which gives him the best chance of playing in the NHL 

Yeah, that's not really true. Sure, they've always indicated the best player will make the team, but we have a sample size of only a few games for Stecher and know he's coming from a league with much less competition and a greatly reduced schedule. This isn't something where he has to be here right now or he's a bust or we lied to him.

Remember, with Hutton the team got to see him in Utica before his first impressive camp in which he made the team. He'd been down with Green and Co. and shown them a bit of what he was capable of. He also had a bigger opening to take a spot, where this year really only Larsen was in question in the top 6-7 defencemen (but with Juolevi also pushing, and Pedan in Corrado's situation from the year prior).

I'd mentioned this before management decided to send him to Utica, but Stecher's initial success was just that and shouldn't be treated as a predictor for the whole season. Remember how hot McCann was to start the season last year, and then how much he tailed off offensively as he tried to adjust? Stecher's also going to be playing against bigger, faster players and in much more frequent games even in the AHL. We saw Hutton slump a little last year when he had to take on more minutes as he wasn't used to the pace.

Give Stecher some time and he'll be with the team before you know it.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

We saw Hutton slump a little last year when he had to take on more minutes as he wasn't used to the pace.

Not disagreeing with your overall post or premise but Hutton really only 'slumped' when the team was devastated with injuries and he was forced playing over his head in the top 4 and I'm pretty sure with a partner who was in a similar situation (was it Biega...?). Not to mention the state of the forward group surrounding him either. Gordie that was an awful mess.

It'd be pretty tough for even a seasoned NHL'er to not 'slump' in that situation, let alone a green rookie.

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

Short of pretty much all the kids stalling/regressing and at least two to three of Hank, Daniel, Eriksson, Sutter Edler, Tanev or Gudbranson being out long term... there's almost zero chance we're picking top 5 IMO and there's not much top end talent this year by most accounts.

That lack of top talent is why I'd be willing to move our 1st for the right deal this year.

AKA, I doubt we're drafting our 1C this year unless we get really, REALLY lucky.

Well there you go. You're an optimist and I admit that I error on the downside. I am not suggesting that this roster does not have potential but most of it is exactly that, potential. I am confident that as long as they are healthy that the Twins will be as good as last year. The season might actually come down to how well Sutter does. He is still an unknown in my book. His pre-season games were top notch.

Bottom line is that ALL the NHL rosters have potential and great expectations. Who do the Canucks beat out that they did not last year?

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

Well there you go. You're an optimist and I admit that I error on the downside. I am not suggesting that this roster does not have potential but most of it is exactly that, potential. I am confident that as long as they are healthy that the Twins will be as good as last year. The season might actually come down to how well Sutter does. He is still an unknown in my book. His pre-season games were top notch.

Bottom line is that ALL the NHL rosters have potential and great expectations. Who do the Canucks beat out that they did not last year?

Any of Calgary, Columbus, Arizona, Buffalo, Colorado, New Jersey, Carolina would be most obvious possibilities. I'd also not be surprised at at least a couple of LA, Anaheim, San Jose or Dallas taking big dips this year, Dallas especially with all their injuries, questionable goaltending and D and general loss of depth. 

Relatively healthy, we're likely battling with all the other mediocre teams in our division for a wildcard spot or just out of the playoffs and picking 10-15 IMO. 

2 hours ago, BlackBeard said:

Early days yet.  Stetcher had a camp of a life time. Larsen got a bit more rope, he is by no means safe from being replaced. We will see Stetcher this year in Van, and as long as he has the stamina, he will likely stick. 

5 hours ago, J.R. said:

Not disagreeing with your overall post or premise but Hutton really only 'slumped' when the team was devastated with injuries and he was forced playing over his head in the top 4 and I'm pretty sure with a partner who was in a similar situation (was it Biega...?). Not to mention the state of the forward group surrounding him either. Gordie that was an awful mess.

It'd be pretty tough for even a seasoned NHL'er to not 'slump' in that situation, let alone a green rookie.

Oh, I glossed over a little there to not distract from the point that it's tough to come from an easier schedule in college to the NHL, for sure. :blush:

The point being though that there are very few prospects that can play their 1st year pro and step into true top 4 minutes in all situations without being sheltered a little. We'll have to do that with Larsen a little as well, but he's at least been through a pro schedule before where that's a lot of Stecher to step into right away. This is especially true since he played a lot of preseason with Edler, and Edler is definitely an all-minutes kind of defenceman so that would be tough for Stecher to continue with.

• Upvote 1

Some quots from the today's article about Stetcher in the local Utica newspaper Observer-Dispatcher:

Troy Stecher is familiar with Travis Green.

Stecher has known the Utica Comets head coach since the defenseman was 14 and Green selected him as seventh-round bantam draft pick for the Western Hockey League’s Portland Winterhawks.

Now, Stecher and Green have been reunited. The defenseman was assigned to the Utica Comets this week after an extended look with the Vancouver Canucks during the preseason. Stecher also was on the Canucks’ Young Stars team in September that Green coached.

“I’m obviously excited,” Stecher said. “He’s never really been my coach because I decided to go the college route. He’s someone I’ve wanted to play for. I’ve obviously heard great things about him. I think, likewise, he’s wanted to coach me as a player. I’m finally getting that opportunity. Hopefully, we can form a strong bond right away and he can trust me as a player. Obviously, I already trust him as a coach, so I’m looking forward to it.”

The 22-year-old Stecher drew praise from Canucks officials after a strong preseason that included an impressive performance Sept. 28 against Edmonton when he scored and added two assists.

“Hopefully, he can step in and be a good player in this league,” Green said.

Stecher signed with the Canucks in April after winning a national title with the University of North Dakota in his junior season. He said he’s had to adjust to the pro level, but learned a lot from Canucks coaches and players. He said he thought he made a good impression and had chance of staying with Vancouver to start the season. While his goal is to play in the National Hockey League, he’s looking forward to playing with the Comets.

“Right now my focus is on helping the Comets win,” Stecher said. “I’m going to show up, work hard and try to be a factor every single night.”

Stecher, who is listed at 5-foot-8 and 190 pounds, said he’s described as an offensive defenseman. But, he said he plays a strong two-game and tries to compete hard in the defensive end.

“I’m not the biggest guy, but I’ve got some fight to me,” said Stecher, who had eight goals and 21 assists in 43 games with North Dakota. “I kind of play with a chip on my shoulder; I think I have to, with my stature. … I’m not going to be flashiest guy out there, but I’m going to contribute however I can.”

I touted signing this kid here all though last season and I'm quite pleased with how it's turned out, even if I'm a little unhappy that he was sent to Utica. I guess even the dumbest farmer grows the biggest potato sometimes eh. I think he'll benefit from some seasoning down there in the long run.

I do find it bizarre that he has apparently chosen to wear #0 or #00 though. Can any of our Utica contingent here confirm whether this is true or just a mistake on the Utica website?

29 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

I touted signing this kid here all though last season and I'm quite pleased with how it's turned out, even if I'm a little unhappy that he was sent to Utica. I guess even the dumbest farmer grows the biggest potato sometimes eh. I think he'll benefit from some seasoning down there in the long run.

I do find it bizarre that he has apparently chosen to wear #0 or #00 though. Can any of our Utica contingent here confirm whether this is true or just a mistake on the Utica website?

IIRC, Stecher will be wearing #2.

• Upvote 3