The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Troy Stecher | #51 | D

Gstank29

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So future college free agents aren't going to see this unfair sending down?  It's about money.  The guys coming out of college make a lot more and a lot faster the sooner they are in the NHL.  The next group of college kids (and their agents and families) will ABSOLUTELY take Stecher's being cut (unjustified) into their decision.  It's common sense! :frantic:

Lol... 

There WERE NO EXPECTATIONS STETCHER WOULD MAKE THE TEAM

Stetcher surprised everyone, the plan was always for him to play a year or two in the AHL.

If a college player is demanding a roster spot or he wont sign, pass we don't need them.. remember Justin Schultz lmao.

Common sense is something you severely lack, 14k posts of nonsense 

Edited by logic
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, logic said:

Lol... 

There WERE NO EXPECTATIONS STETCHER WOULD MAKE THE TEAM

Stetcher surprised everyone, the plan was always for him to play a year or two in the AHL.

If a college player is demanding a roster spot or he wont sign, pass we don't need them.. remember Justin Schultz lmao.

Common sense is something you severely lack, 14k posts of nonsense 

They will not demand a roster spot, but they WILL demand a FAIR chance to make the big club.  Now seeing Stecher getting cut (unfairly) you don't see that effecting their choice to come here or not?  

I agree you never want to rush D men and Troy will not be staying long in the AHL as Benning said.It just shows how much Benning and Linden want to win.Our future D looks good and you never know might be a surprise or two.I think troy out played larsen but Larsen was not that bad!

I love Stecher's game but IMO it was the right decision to send him down. Did he outplay Larsen and Biega? Yes, but the kid is still refining his game and adjusting to the speed, skill, and attrition of professional opponents and the professional season. His game right now is really good but we should let Coach Green refine his game for a year, that way when he's a full-time NHLer next season he will be amazing.

I'm sure he'll get the call-up sometime during the season, but extra work with Coach Green would do wonders for him.

• Upvote 3

Did he prove that he could potentially play in the NHL? Sure. Did he outright out play the players who made the team? Debatable at best. I don't think he did enough to earn a spot imo. He had that one great preseason game against a weak Edmonton side early in preseason. If he didn't have that game and just played the way he did the rest of the preseason, I doubt many here would be feeling this strongly about him not making the team.

I like Stetcher and I think he has good potential, but I think having him play big minutes in Utica vs being a rotated player in the NHL. He needs to understand that this is for his development and better for his career in the long term. If all he cares about is rushing into the NHL and doesn't care if he's sitting in the press box, then he's just looking for a paycheque rather than growing as a player and he won't last long in the league.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Did he prove that he could potentially play in the NHL? Sure. Did he outright out play the players who made the team? Debatable at best. I don't think he did enough to earn a spot imo. He had that one great preseason game against a weak Edmonton side early in preseason. If he didn't have that game and just played the way he did the rest of the preseason, I doubt many here would be feeling this strongly about him not making the team.

I like Stetcher and I think he has good potential, but I think having him play big minutes in Utica vs being a rotated player in the NHL. He needs to understand that this is for his development and better for his career in the long term. If all he cares about is rushing into the NHL and doesn't care if he's sitting in the press box, then he's just looking for a paycheque rather than growing as a player and he won't last long in the league.

He outplayed all the D in every game he played.  He was arguably our best player in those games. 

56 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He outplayed all the D in every game he played.  He was arguably our best player in those games. 

It's a shame he didn't get paired with Sbisa or Tryamkin to see how he would do in a 3rd pairing role during mean nothing games. He was paired with Edler the entire pre-season and it made him play with lots of poise and he was able to do more than was expected of him. Edler was our best D-man in the pre-season, don't get it twisted.

Willie D was talking about getting used to the condensed schedule that's different from the NCAA and they figured he needs those games in the AHL. I have no doubt that he's going to play significant games in the NHL this year so I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

No he didn't.  I love him as a prospect just as much as anyone else, but lets not exaggerate. Better than Larsen, Tryamkin and Biega?  Sure, but best player in the games he played, not a chance.

8 hours ago, bobbyg43 said:

It is comforting to know we have Stetcher in wings in Utica .I cannot wait till after Christmas when things heat up ,looking forward to seeing him in Vancouver after new years for sure at very least.

Yup, Stecher won't be down there for long.  Very happy to see Gaunce make the opening roster (Higgins replacement) and looking forward to Zalewski and Labate making appearances this year, ultimately as Burrows replacements.  We are finishing up the transition to a fast, aggressive, attacking team, which will actually make the Sedins stand out more and more from the other three lines.

5 hours ago, logic said:

You are definitley one of the worst posters around here..

He hasn't played single meaningful AHL game let alone NHL game, there is no point in rushing Stetcner while exposing another player to waivers when we can just send him down to play #1 minutes....

and I seriously doubt he was gauranteed a spot by JB anyways.. complete overreaction.  this is actually very logical forward thinking

At the beginning of camp, Benning had commented on having 8 or 9 NHL-calibre defencemen on the roster, NOT including Stecher, who he called a prospect.  They clearly did not even consider him having a shot at making the team out of camp.

6 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

NEWS 1130 Sports @NEWS1130Sports 5h5 hours ago

Just talked with Troy Stecher after his 1st practise with the Utica Comets.

Stecher on getting sent down : "I was upset, I wanted to be a Canuck but I understand all that goes into it."

Stecher on what #Canucks told him : "Some really positive things but also said don't get complacent, improve all aspects of my game."

Stecher felt he could have started the year in VAN but is really looking to take advantage of Utica, work hard and get better.

Stecher : "It's a marathon and not a sprint, it's a process and if I get better I will get my chance with the #Canucks."

Love his Hutton like positivity. 

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

They will not demand a roster spot, but they WILL demand a FAIR chance to make the big club.  Now seeing Stecher getting cut (unfairly) you don't see that effecting their choice to come here or not?  

no. because at the end of the day it's not only about playing in the NHL. it's about being developed well and having a long career in the NHL. Shultz was a prime example of a college player who demanded too much too soon. and look at where his career has headed. he could've been a much better player. Stetcher seems to have character. he will get a call up and his time with Green in the AHL is going to do him some good. this will not affect college free agents in the future. your overthinking Alf. go and sleep. 

20 hours ago, J.R. said:

Yeah I've wondered a few times out loud here lately if a package of our first pick this year, one of our D + might get us a 1C....

A big part of this question is about how well the Canucks do this year. If all the questions about how the prospects perform goes well then your idea of a 1st rounder + a d-prospect going out for a 1C could be a reality. My take is that with Van's history of injuries and considering the age of the Twins it is more likely that the Canucks will be drafting a top 5 pick again this year. My hope is that this 2017 draft will put a 1C prospect into the pool.

For those suggesting a RNH deal the Oiler decision seems to be that he is staying and Hall was moved.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

A big part of this question is about how well the Canucks do this year. If all the questions about how the prospects perform goes well then your idea of a 1st rounder + a d-prospect going out for a 1C could be a reality. My take is that with Van's history of injuries and considering the age of the Twins it is more likely that the Canucks will be drafting a top 5 pick again this year. My hope is that this 2017 draft will put a 1C prospect into the pool.

For those suggesting a RNH deal the Oiler decision seems to be that he is staying and Hall was moved.

Short of pretty much all the kids stalling/regressing and at least two to three of Hank, Daniel, Eriksson, Sutter Edler, Tanev or Gudbranson being out long term... there's almost zero chance we're picking top 5 IMO and there's not much top end talent this year by most accounts.

That lack of top talent is why I'd be willing to move our 1st for the right deal this year.

AKA, I doubt we're drafting our 1C this year unless we get really, REALLY lucky.

Edited by J.R.