The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Troy Stecher | #51 | D

Gstank29

As mentioned he has not backed off on his shot attempts. Loved it when he was smacked the ice on Edler to pass the puck over. His one timers are usually making it through. When the Canucks actually get forwards who spend time in front of the tenders they will pick up points.  

1 hour ago, Dannydog said:

Judging from his games up to now and how he see's the ice, how many points do you think he'll get this year.Assuming he stays healthy? Whats his ceiling for the future?

I see his ceiling as a 2/3 defenseman maybe getting 35-45 points per season in his prime. A season closer to 50 much like Edler wouldn't be out of the question either.

4 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

I see his ceiling as a 2/3 defenseman maybe getting 35-45 points per season in his prime. A season closer to 50 much like Edler wouldn't be out of the question either.

He's an exciting player to watch. Nice to see that potential( plus fingers crossed Juolevi) back on the blueline again

Edited by Dannydog
reword

Linden when asked about Stecher

What’s the best thing about Stecher? Fans love the guy.
I’ll tell you a story. I went to see him in February in North Dakota. After that meeting, I said, “That kid has an intensity about him that is real.” I said to him, “We’ll talk when you’re done. Go win a national championship.” Watching, watching, watching… they win. Right away we start the process of bringing him in. Got him signed. He finished school in May and wanted to train with our strength coach right away. I’d go down and check in on the guys every day. I kept seeing this bike down there. Finally I said to one of our equipment guys, “Whose bike is that?”

“What do you mean? That’s Troy Stecher’s bike.”

“He rides his bike here every day?”

He’s from Richmond. His sister lived at 41st and Oak. From [Rogers Arena] it’s probably a 20-minute drive. He lived with his sister. Didn’t have a car. He didn’t get his signing bonus till July 15, so he rode his bike [at least 30 minutes] here every day. Never missed a workout. That was his mode of transportation. First couple of days, he pushed himself so hard in the gym, he puked. The kind of kid that goes to the garbage can, pukes, and continues his workout.

The reason I say this is, the kid has been told his whole career he’s too small, can’t play. What you can’t measure is the competitiveness and determination. When you watch him play, he’s 5-foot-10 on a good day but he’s so competitive. He’s smart. On the right side of the puck. He can defend because he’s smart enough and he wins puck battles.

He was our best player in Penticton. Great. Then in preseason he was one of our top defencemen every night. Not fazed by the situation at all. Fun to watch and he drives offence. He pushes the pace. And he’s a likeable kid.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Linden when asked about Stecher

What’s the best thing about Stecher? Fans love the guy.
I’ll tell you a story. I went to see him in February in North Dakota. After that meeting, I said, “That kid has an intensity about him that is real.” I said to him, “We’ll talk when you’re done. Go win a national championship.” Watching, watching, watching… they win. Right away we start the process of bringing him in. Got him signed. He finished school in May and wanted to train with our strength coach right away. I’d go down and check in on the guys every day. I kept seeing this bike down there. Finally I said to one of our equipment guys, “Whose bike is that?”

“What do you mean? That’s Troy Stecher’s bike.”

“He rides his bike here every day?”

He’s from Richmond. His sister lived at 41st and Oak. From [Rogers Arena] it’s probably a 20-minute drive. He lived with his sister. Didn’t have a car. He didn’t get his signing bonus till July 15, so he rode his bike [at least 30 minutes] here every day. Never missed a workout. That was his mode of transportation. First couple of days, he pushed himself so hard in the gym, he puked. The kind of kid that goes to the garbage can, pukes, and continues his workout.

The reason I say this is, the kid has been told his whole career he’s too small, can’t play. What you can’t measure is the competitiveness and determination. When you watch him play, he’s 5-foot-10 on a good day but he’s so competitive. He’s smart. On the right side of the puck. He can defend because he’s smart enough and he wins puck battles.

He was our best player in Penticton. Great. Then in preseason he was one of our top defencemen every night. Not fazed by the situation at all. Fun to watch and he drives offence. He pushes the pace. And he’s a likeable kid.

Maybe Jake Virtanen should live, and train with Stecher?  Why not buddy these two guys up?

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Maybe Jake Virtanen should live, and train with Stecher?  Why not buddy these two guys up?

Was gonna say something like that myself. Jake should see how Stecher works and use that as an example. Stecher's story is inspirational to me as I am a small guy who likes playing defense as well, so it's neat to see a small guy having some success.