The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

JB, do us all a favour and make use of the NTC you never gave Sbisa

TheRussianRocket.

2 minutes ago, luckylager said:

He's pretty expensive for "depth", so if JB and Hammer are trying to hammer something out, Spisa's your odd man out and kinda Keith Ballard 2.0, eating tonnes of cap to eat tacos in the press box if he's not moved.

IMO Spisa improved his game a lot last season, actually looked good a few times, but I wouldn't expect to see him traded prior to Hammer resigning

We have pretty good balance for our defensive group. We don't need to diminish it.

If there's a trade for anyone on the team that makes us better and deeper overall, I'm all for it, but there were times last year where our defense was essentially, the Utica Comets.

Just now, smithers joe said:

why move so many d-men when we know the amount of injuries we usually sustain...

If we can get some decent picks for Sbisa, it makes good sense for the continues re-tool/ build.  Plus, the guy has a funny name.  

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If we can get some decent picks for Sbisa, it makes good sense for the continues re-tool/ build.  Plus, the guy has a funny name.  

i don't think it is a good idea....not till we see what we got and who can be healthy...people are too eager to move players....

1 minute ago, smithers joe said:

i don't think it is a good idea....not till we see what we got and who can be healthy...people are too eager to move players....

There is a song by Chilliwack that applies to our feelings about Sbisa: "Gone, gone, gone, you've [been here] too long". :o

6 minutes ago, SuitnTie said:

You guys are spoiled. First you complain about weber, then bartwoski, now Sbsia. This fan base will not be happy untill we have an all star D. 

ya  lets pick on miller!  we have to leave vey alone , but only for a little while.

5 minutes ago, SuitnTie said:

You guys are spoiled. First you complain about weber, then bartwoski, now Sbsia. This fan base will not be happy untill we have an all star D. 

hahaha you comparing Sbisa to Weber just proves how almost useless Sbisa is. He's overpaid for what he provides and wouldn't hurt to get some decent picks for him. After all, D are in high demand, even crappy D

3 hours ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

Ask Ferklund and the flames that question, yes Sbisa throws a few big hits but I highly doubt guys are looking over their shoulder for no 5 out there. More to intimidation than just a few open ice hits, the flames treated him like a rag doll especially on the forecheck you could tell it was spizza that was scared

idk FLAMES are a pretty intimidating name for a hockey club

1 minute ago, RetroCanuck said:

hahaha you comparing Sbisa to Weber just proves how almost useless Sbisa is. He's overpaid for what he provides and wouldn't hurt to get some decent picks for him. After all, D are in high demand, even crappy D

I don't know that Sbisa is crap, but JB made certain his contract did not include a NTC.  That tells me Sbisa was only a place holder. JB always planned on trading him (anywhere) for picks.  I accept I'm giving JB a lot of credit for thinking, and that is the HUGE hole in my idea.   ^_^

I like Sbisa. This being said, he is certainly an obvious target for trading, assuming the Canucks want to move a d-man.

If he does go, I'd expect he'll wind up in the east, perhaps with NJ, the Rangers or Philly in exchange for a low 2nd - high 4th round pick, depending on how high that pick is, and assuming that the Canucks are moving him just as a cap dump more than anything and are willing to take less than market value.

regards,  G.

Sbisa reminds me of a young Bieksa.  He has a bit of offensive skill that's untapped, good size, willing to drop the mitts, but has too many brainfarts in his own end.  Sbisa has been set up to fail here, playing tough minutes against strong competition with a rotation of AHLers.  The defense is deeper and stronger, so he won't have to do that again barring a devastating string of injuries.  He also won't have to be the toughest guy on the blueline, so he won't be under as much pressure to drop the mitts in order to stop our goalies being run. 

I'd like to see Sbisa finally get paired with a strong defensive defenseman so he can feel more comfortable occasionally taking an occasional offensive risk.  Gudbranson would be a good fit here, like Mitchell was for Bieksa.

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

We have pretty good balance for our defensive group. We don't need to diminish it.

If there's a trade for anyone on the team that makes us better and deeper overall, I'm all for it, but there were times last year where our defense was essentially, the Utica Comets.

For sure, and I don't expect "The Curse of Canucks D" to just go away, but if Hammer's resigned, Spisa's as good as gone, or should be.

Pedan and Biega both proved to be effective

7 hours ago, DJSkingz said:

Be careful what you wish for. JB could package up Sbisa and the 5th overall for some ridiculous over payment on some mid twenties Top 9 Forward given his track record on trades.

JB has done some great moves as well, give it a rest folks...

7 hours ago, kloubek said:

Clearly, Sbisa is the odd man out here if there is any chance of re-signing Hamhuis for a discount.  He just doesn't bring anything to the table that we don't already have covered off with the addition of Gudbranson.  All I can say is that if we do manage to negotiate something with Hamhuis, Benning better be damn sure he can move Sbisa, since we don't need him eating up 3.6 million in cap space while in the pressbox.

I'm guessing that if JB moves a defenseman such as Sbisa (or maybe Edler?), it will be at the draft, and then maybe resign Hamhuis after, as this will give him a little more leverage in squeezing more out of a trade, as we will not have too many D men under contract, at the time of the draft..

Archived