The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

I loathe the line Green has him on. He should be playing with O'reilly and Defazio. After watching Utica centers tonight I'm starting to think putting McCann in isn't as crazy as I thought. Outside of O'reilly there's no offensive talent down the middle.

Sven Baertschi does resemble Marian Hossa game in my eyes.

My god hes electric, fast, and very good at puck skills. We have something here in our grasp, boys and girls..

With all due respect, Hossa has at times played as high as 220 lbs. Currently listed at 210 lbs. He's a very big boy, with speed, skills and a power game. Just sayin its not a perfect match?

With some luck, Patrick Sharp? A guy who can slash & cut, jumps into traffic, snipe and dish dimes...

With all due respect, Hossa has at times played as high as 220 lbs. Currently listed at 210 lbs. He's a very big boy, with speed, skills and a power game. Just sayin its not a perfect match?

With some luck, Patrick Sharp? A guy who can slash & cut, jumps into traffic, snipe and dish dimes...

I was only comparing Hossa's offensive game with Baertschi offensive game. Other than that, both are very much different players. They both are very electric with their speed in their offensive. Baertschi is nowhere near the size Hossa is, and he isn't comparable to Hossa in terms of defensive game albeit the fact that Baertschi can play defense better than most in Utica with what I've watched.

I see more of Patrick Sharp in Jared McCann than Baertschi. Baertschi imo is a unique player. Not many guys in the league have the combination of high end sniping and playmaking ability with strong defensive tendencies.

Baertschi never had defensive issues if I'm not mistaken. It's his compete level that was a major question mark. His defensive game is definitely decent. Not the best, but not the worst.

When I see Sven's explosiveness in those archives/highlights, he really is damn electrifying. He really does make the crowd stand on their feet in Utica. Marian has this kind of explosiveness too and I immediately thought of Marian when Baertschi undressed this player (https://streamable.com/wv4q).

We definitely have something to play around with here.

Great to know he is reliable defensively. A lot of times with them young European skilled forwards they aren't to great defensively when they first come up. I can't wait to see this kid dress for a full year with the big boys next year. His offensive abilities give us a lot to be excited about! A baertchi Horvat Kassian line would be supreme.

• 2 weeks later...

Baertschi is going to be a Ray Whitney or Alex Tanguay type player. A playmaking pass first winger

I like that comparison

Can't wait for Baertschi to play next season in Vancouver, he's going to have good one as long as he gets PP time. I would think 40-50 points is about where I projection his producing to be, assuming he gets 1/2 PP time

Edited by Gstank29

I like that comparing

Can't wait for Baertschi to play next season in Vancouver, he's going to have good one as long as he gets PP time. I would think 40-50 points is about where I projection his producing to be, assuming he gets 1/2 PP time

I was thinking more 35-40 point player in his first year in the league

30 points in 69 NHL games in nothing to sniff at. I'm pretty surprised Calgary gave him up for a late 2nd.

Aside from a few late round steals and a few guys drafted in the top 10, there aren't many players matching either that amount or rate of production from the 2011 draft.

Although I haven't been a fan of most of Benning's trades so far, Beartschi I like. And Clendening too, for the record. The Garrison trade. . . not so much.

Baertschi never had defensive issues if I'm not mistaken. It's his compete level that was a major question mark. His defensive game is definitely decent. Not the best, but not the worst.

When I see Sven's explosiveness in those archives/highlights, he really is damn electrifying. He really does make the crowd stand on their feet in Utica. Marian has this kind of explosiveness too and I immediately thought of Marian when Baertschi undressed this player (https://streamable.com/wv4q).

We definitely have something to play around with here.

Good comment. From the little I have seen of Baertschi he has excellent offensive talent and is responsible defensively. But when things were not going his way (i.e. before being traded to the Canucks) he was not playing with much intensity. Being traded to the Canucks really lit a fire under him. When he goes hard all game it is hard to keep him off the score sheet. But I think it might be important for him to play with guys who play with consistent intensity. As many have suggested, a second line of Baertschi, Horvat, and Vrbata seems to make sense.

That would let Bonino drop down to 3C, which a better fit for him. Playing between Hansen and Higgins, that would be a good shutdown line. That leaves a lot of guys fighting for spots on the 4th line. Dorsett will have a spot on the 4th line and Burrows will be on the first. That leaves Vey, Kassian, the Utica prospects and maybe Cassels competing for 2 spots on the 4th line.

Of course we need to see who, if anyone, is traded before things will become more clear.

I like that comparison

He shoots a lot more than both of those guys. His skating, shot, and playmaking are nearly identicle to Pat Kane, that's why there was so much hype. Obviously he probably doesn't have the ceiling that Kane has, but if he can put it all together he will be an amazing player.

Baertschi is going to be a Ray Whitney or Alex Tanguay type player. A playmaking pass first winger

Great! we can pair him with our shoot first center Kesl...oh wait :picard:

In all seriousness though, not in the least bit upset all we gave up was a 2nd for this "kid", has the potential to be a legitimate top six player, whereas most 2nd round picks are either large risks for boom or bust, or high end bottom six talent. Now if we had Detroit's draft pedigree might be different, but looking through our draft history...isn't the prettiest to look at. Last couple of years looks pretty good though, still a bit early to tell though.

Ryan Johansen was just on TSN1040 and had this to say about Baertschi:

TSN Radio Vancouver ‏@TSN1040 9m

Johansen on Baertschi: He was one of the best junior players I've ever played with. I'd be on the bench, just going "wow"

Just in case anyone wants the context around the quote: http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/johansen-columbus-a-hidden-gem-in-nhl-1.286714

Edited by elvis15
  • Upvote 1

Ryan Johansen was just on TSN1040 and had this to say about Baertschi:

Just in case anyone wants the context around the quote: http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/johansen-columbus-a-hidden-gem-in-nhl-1.286714

I hope Ryan comes to Van when he hits free agency. We can have a first line of Baer Johan virtanen. When would he be eligible for free agency?? Edited by Tangerines