The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

Can anyone tell me how his development is coming along. How close is he to making the big squad? From what I heard he hasn't been very impressive in Utica, not bad, but not great either.

If you want to look at the stat sheet, you could say that, but he's been lauded somewhat for his overall play. I believe there's a quote from the Comets GM earlier in the thread about his play and how they feel he's done a great job contributing in his first year as a pro.

EDIT: it's from earlier in the season but I've seen similar comments about his play.

There's more to hockey than just size or physicality.

Edited by elvis15

The Comets had a couple meltdown games, Gaunce took a slashing penalty to start the ball rolling in one of the losses (3-0 and 5-1).

I wonder if they are missing Corrado?

I don't think so, I think the problem is the guys they brought up that didn't get to play even a single game - Biega and Sanguinetti. If you bring them up, play them, that motivates the minor league team - to bring them up and only let them watch and hope breeds dissatisfaction.

So I guess it fair he will probably get a decent amount of games for the big squad next year?

I'm sure he'll get some call up games, but he would benefit from becoming a real good player in the A before making the jump. CDCers seem to think that players just need to tread water in a new league before they "graduate" to the next. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Players need to make the jump, adjust and then excel and regain confidence before they move up.

I don't think so, I think the problem is the guys they brought up that didn't get to play even a single game - Biega and Sanguinetti. If you bring them up, play them, that motivates the minor league team - to bring them up and only let them watch and hope breeds dissatisfaction.

This is true, I get WD's reasoning but still Weber is spotty at best, a game for each couldn't have hurt much.

I don't think so, they'll be ecstatic to be there, to say nothing of getting an NHL paycheque. I doubt they are dissatisfied.

Gaunce a year younger than Jensen has the same points and is a plus 2 where as Jensen is a minus 7. Both same size. Gaunce first year Pro Jensen 2nd plus a year in the SEL. Gaunce always looks like he's not breaking a sweat ( not in a good way ) To me Gaunces graph is still rising, Jensen seems to have flat lined http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0070412015.html

Gaunce a year younger than Jensen has the same points and is a plus 2 where as Jensen is a minus 7. Both same size. Gaunce first year Pro Jensen 2nd plus a year in the SEL. Gaunce always looks like he's not breaking a sweat ( not in a good way ) To me Gaunces graph is still rising, Jensen seems to have flat lined http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0070412015.html

There's no question Jensen is struggling but you conveniently omitted the fact that Gaunce has played in 12 more games than Jensen.

Anyways, sending Jensen over to the SEL has proven to be a terrible developmental decision. I think he'll still get it together, but likely never be more than a 2nd/3rd line tweener

Edited by Robongo

There's no question Jensen is struggling but you conveniently omitted the fact that Gaunce has played in 12 more games than Jensen.

True I missed that point but he has been playing on the 4th line, less minutes and never sees the PP

Gaunce for me is going to be one of these rare athletes who always seem to have time but don't seem to be very quick. He has a good anticipation and is always smart on the puck. The type of player others like to play with.

That's why it annoys me when people include him in trade deals. I can't wait for him to get a chance in the NHL.

• Upvote 2