Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

Fbo3EY8T.jpg.e1641c65abef8259418b601f18971b91.jpg

Image result for plus sign

5bdb67f2702e9_secretstuff.gif.f02b487a5e3c958cc005db68ee67f25f.gif

Image result for equal sign

Image result for goals

34 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Shut the haters up? From memory this was his first decent offensive game in the NHL. He is a fine 4th liner at this point, but he has not proven anything offensively in 1 game. Not even close. 

I like Gaunce, and he played a good game last night, but this was just a start. He needs to continue to look dangerous with his shot, and play physical hockey (something he has completely lacked up to this point in the NHL) for even a shot at staying in this line up.

I'm rooting for the kid. But a small part of me hopes this doesn't continue so you don't create a 'Gaunces secret stuff' meme and start spamming it all over CDC.

Image result for warhead

Clearly you didn't get all the upvotes from having a sour attitude like that, I'd suggest leaving it behind and go back to being a positive person!

ALSO:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/brendan-gaunce-scores-twice-canucks-defeat-blackhawks/ 

Edited by Where'd Luongo?

• 4 weeks later...

Brendan Gaunce and Jake Virtanen are very similar situations in that they were both drafted to provide a solid checking game to our line up but neither has ,truly, embraced that role. Yes, they've showed glimpses of what they could bring, but neither has been a consistent presence in that regard. 

I am finding myself more encouraged, lately, by Jake's play, in particular. He's been more physical and his game has seemed to elevate as a result. I am definitely hoping to see physicality as a permanent part of Shotgun's game.

Gaunce had success in his stint with the big club and I was kind of surprised we didn't see him get a better look, given his production. Like Jake, Brendan needs to make his presence felt every game. He's too aloof and must be more visible.

3 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

Brendan Gaunce and Jake Virtanen are very similar situations in that they were both drafted to provide a solid checking game to our line up but neither has ,truly, embraced that role. Yes, they've showed glimpses of what they could bring, but neither has been a consistent presence in that regard. 

I am finding myself more encouraged, lately, by Jake's play, in particular. He's been more physical and his game has seemed to elevate as a result. I am definitely hoping to see physicality as a permanent part of Shotgun's game.

Gaunce had success in his stint with the big club and I was kind of surprised we didn't see him get a better look, given his production. Like Jake, Brendan needs to make his presence felt every game. He's too aloof and must be more visible.

They play a very different game.  Gaunce's game has always been positioning.  Hence he waits for the game to unfold.... rather than him making things happen, thus one of this criticism was him not moving his feet enough... which is a problem in the NHL, especially for a non-speedy player.  

That being said, checking and defensive play has never been an issue with Brendan Gaunce, just the team wants more out of him.  He's as big as Virtanen minus the speed, but isn't as physical.  While he does finish his checks and stuff, he doesn't hammer players like how Jake does.  

Should both somehow reach their hypothetical ceilings when they were drafted... Virtanen would be a scoring powerforward a la Bertuzzi, but Gaunce would be strong winger or checking centre like Linden or Malholtra.  

8 hours ago, Lancaster said:

They play a very different game.  Gaunce's game has always been positioning.  Hence he waits for the game to unfold.... rather than him making things happen, thus one of this criticism was him not moving his feet enough... which is a problem in the NHL, especially for a non-speedy player.  

That being said, checking and defensive play has never been an issue with Brendan Gaunce, just the team wants more out of him.  He's as big as Virtanen minus the speed, but isn't as physical.  While he does finish his checks and stuff, he doesn't hammer players like how Jake does.  

Should both somehow reach their hypothetical ceilings when they were drafted... Virtanen would be a scoring powerforward a la Bertuzzi, but Gaunce would be strong winger or checking centre like Linden or Malholtra.  

You talk like he is slow.

12 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

Pretty sure neither were drafted for that reason, it was just an extra thing they could bring on top of their actual talents. Gaunce's real gifts were his defensive abilities. He needed to improve on his offensive capabilities and his overall speed. Neither of which he really could do. I still think he's a solid depth option and honestly I think he could be a good 4th line option on a good team. Just so happens we have a ton of guys that do what Gaunce does. Someone has to get the ax. 

There's a reason both Virtanen and Gaunce have only shown glimpses of their checking prowess, it's cause it was never a major part of either of their games. Nor should it have been something we forced on them. You look to expand on their gifts first and foremost and shore up any weaknesses. Virtanen's decision making and defense needed work, he worked on both. Gaunce needed to work on offense and skating, and his skating did improve over the years but he's offensively invisible most nights, although with his recent success in the last couple games with us I wish Greener gave him a bit more looks to try expand on it. Oh well.

5 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Pretty sure neither were drafted for that reason, it was just an extra thing they could bring on top of their actual talents. Gaunce's real gifts were his defensive abilities. He needed to improve on his offensive capabilities and his overall speed. Neither of which he really could do. I still think he's a solid depth option and honestly I think he could be a good 4th line option on a good team. Just so happens we have a ton of guys that do what Gaunce does. Someone has to get the ax. 

There's a reason both Virtanen and Gaunce have only shown glimpses of their checking prowess, it's cause it was never a major part of either of their games. Nor should it have been something we forced on them. You look to expand on their gifts first and foremost and shore up any weaknesses. Virtanen's decision making and defense needed work, he worked on both. Gaunce needed to work on offense and skating, and his skating did improve over the years but he's offensively invisible most nights, although with his recent success in the last couple games with us I wish Greener gave him a bit more looks to try expand on it. Oh well.

The first two things Benning said about why he drafted Virtanen is his " meanness and his ruggedness."

It's no coincidence Jake's at his best when he's putting opposing players on their butts. When it happens, he's engaged in the game and elevates to another level. 

Last night against LA was a great example. We heard his name very little. All the hype surrounding Virtanen vs Phaneuf never came to be. There were no big checks by him and no intensity. He was invisible. I can't even recall him getting a shot on net. If he did, it wasn't very impactfull. He needs to bring the mean every game and be that presence every player is wary of. And he, also needs to back it when someone takes exception to it. It was his game in the juniors and it should be his game in the NHL.

While Gaunce was not as big a hitter as Virtanen in the juniors, it was his crash and bash style that created his success. It was his forte in all three zones. The kid could hit and like Jake, Gaunces game elevates when he plays to his strengths. Also, like Jake, he needs to answer the bell when necessary to serve notice that he won't be bullied into changing his game.

When both have backed their play ( dropping the gloves ), they've been very effective and have done well. 

11 hours ago, alfstonker said:

You talk like he is slow.

His competition was people like Lebate and Megna and an aging Hansen. Also, this is only one aspect of speed.

I don't know about you but I think you might want to watch the video before posting it as supposed "proof". Btw, I don't think Gaunce is slow, just your proof was a little cringeworthy imo. lol

Edited by The Lock

7 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

The first two things Benning said about why he drafted Virtanen is his " meanness and his ruggedness."

It's no coincidence Jake's at his best when he's putting opposing players on their butts. When it happens, he's engaged in the game and elevates to another level. 

Last night against LA was a great example. We heard his name very little. All the hype surrounding Virtanen vs Phaneuf never came to be. There were no big checks by him and no intensity. He was invisible. I can't even recall him getting a shot on net. If he did, it wasn't very impactfull. He needs to bring the mean every game and be that presence every player is wary of. And he, also needs to back it when someone takes exception to it. It was his game in the juniors and it should be his game in the NHL.

While Gaunce was not as big a hitter as Virtanen in the juniors, it was his crash and bash style that created his success. It was his forte in all three zones. The kid could hit and like Jake, Gaunces game elevates when he plays to his strengths. Also, like Jake, he needs to answer the bell when necessary to serve notice that he won't be bullied into changing his game.

When both have backed their play ( dropping the gloves ), they've been very effective and have done well. 

Another goal for Gaunce, now 4 goals in 6 games.   Lind also playing tonight. Gaunce also has 3 points in 3 games with the Canucks - the man is just a scoring machine!

• Upvote 1

On 11/27/2018 at 7:03 PM, Lancaster said:

I don't mean he's slow as molasses... just he's not a quick/speedy player.  His game isn't built to blow by guys going North-South or skating through a million guys.... it's always been about positioning and defensive awareness.  He outworks the opponent and gets dirty for his points.  

12 hours ago, The Lock said:

His competition was people like Lebate and Megna and an aging Hansen. Also, this is only one aspect of speed.

I don't know about you but I think you might want to watch the video before posting it as supposed "proof". Btw, I don't think Gaunce is slow, just your proof was a little cringeworthy imo. lol

They compete because they are fast. Of course there are other aspects of speed but that test is the main one.

Hansen was 29, it seems you are getting desperate in your puerile attempt to find fault in the post. The point of the video was "he is not slow" on any level.

Edited by alfstonker
  • Upvote 2

Over the past season, I have stated that I don't see Gaunce become a NHL regular because of his lack of offense. However, it seems like to me he always play the game in a right way defensively and never out of position and can be counted on to play shut-down hockey. Right now, I would rather have him the Canucks line-up instead of Leipsic. Atleast Gaunce handles his minutes and well plays his role well. He is the ideal 13th forward on the team. Leipsic needs to figure it out soon or else he will just be Linden Vey 2.0

21 hours ago, alfstonker said:

They compete because they are fast. Of course there are other aspects of speed but that test is the main one.

Hansen was 29, it seems you are getting desperate in your puerile attempt to find fault in the post. The point of the video was "he is not slow" on any level.

Gaunce's problem, like many middling skaters, was never top end speed, which is probably the least important aspect in an actual game.  His problem is explosiveness.  Someone like Virtanen can go from standstill to top speed in a second.  He can be a step behind you and blow past you in two steps.  When's the last time Gaunce just outright blew past someone (and not while they're caught flat footed)?  Top end speed only matters if you can pull away from someone.  Otherwise by the time you get to your top speed the other player has already recovered/ adjusted position, or the play has already transpired. 

The other part of skating, agility and mobility, is also not Gaunce's strong suit.  What makes guys like Pettersson (and even more so, Skinner) special isn't their top end speed.  It's their ability to start and stop, pivot and turn on a dime.  Their ability to shift, weave, dodge and change directions.  How often is Gaunce shifty enough to slip through a check, or lose a checker by using stops and pivots? 

These singular exercises often showcase skills that aren't reflective of real world usage.  George Parros, he of 18 career NHL goals, used to be a star at the Ducks' skills competition:

That accuracy event was seized for the second straight year by, of all people, George Parros. Georgie nailed all four corner targets in a row, the second straight year he’s done that. “I’ve won three years in a row,” said Parros, including the skills competition at the First Flight Field Trip event for kids. “That’s no coincidence … Not everyone is cut out for this event though.”

He beat out guys like Perry and Selanne.  Would you say that Parros was a better shooter than Perry? 

Gaunce isn't a bad skater, but he's not a great one either.  You could say he's good for his size, but he's no Hansen, who was an A+ skater in his prime. 

22 hours ago, Dungass said:

Meh, he’s going to make more of a difference on the Comets than he would on the Canucks.  As other posters have pointed out, Utica is super thin up the middle.

Waiving Leipsic could be viewed as a vote of confidence in Gaunce. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2018 at 10:48 AM, higgyfan said:

yeah, feel kind of bad for Gaunce.  I think he worked really hard and played his best; just couldn't up his game to what Green wanted.  It may not be the last we see of him though, he does have an opportunity to adjust his game and maybe add a more physical aspect.  Hopefully he can reclaim the scoring touch he had in the AHL.

He wouldn't be the first 4th liner to make a career of drifting back in forth between the NHL/AHL.

On 10/8/2018 at 1:08 AM, Lancaster said:

He's not the quickest guy out there, but he often finishes his checks instead of just doing flybys.  Just usually the puck has already been off-loaded, thus his hits are usually just shown on the edge of the screen on TV, thus mostly unnoticeable unless you are specifically searching for Gaunce.  Just unlike Virtanen, his checks doesn't have that "umph".

As a 4th line winger, who is able to be the secondary face-off guy, who can be on the PK.... he plays decent in that role.  His stats line doesn't look great, but it's not like he doesn't create any chances at all... just sometimes bad luck.  

Gaunce scores short handed - goal and an assist so far tonight.

On 10/8/2018 at 1:08 AM, Lancaster said:

He's not the quickest guy out there, but he often finishes his checks instead of just doing flybys.  Just usually the puck has already been off-loaded, thus his hits are usually just shown on the edge of the screen on TV, thus mostly unnoticeable unless you are specifically searching for Gaunce.  Just unlike Virtanen, his checks doesn't have that "umph".

As a 4th line winger, who is able to be the secondary face-off guy, who can be on the PK.... he plays decent in that role.  His stats line doesn't look great, but it's not like he doesn't create any chances at all... just sometimes bad luck.