The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

17 hours ago, elvis15 said:

Except there's the plan for Rodin, so they're still exploring that option. Gaunce is more of the 'safe as houses' kind of option though, particularly with at least Higgins and Prust leaving, but possibly also Burrows.

Fair point but if I'm trying to analyze moving to sign Rodin; I would have to think JB is comfortable with Anton's defensive game.  I could see both Rodin and Gaunce making the roster depending on how the rest of the upcoming roster moves shake out.

35 minutes ago, wshdrvvn said:

Fair point but if I'm trying to analyze moving to sign Rodin; I would have to think JB is comfortable with Anton's defensive game.  I could see both Rodin and Gaunce making the roster depending on how the rest of the upcoming roster moves shake out.

Lots of questions around how well Rodin's injury recovery will go and how he'll be able to train this offseason. We'll see, as I'd love for him to succeed (and obviously Gaunce too).

2 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

PLEASE DON'T TRADE GAUNCE

I'm sorry to tell you Desi, because I know you really like these young guys JB keeps dumping, but GAUNCE IS NEXT. :(. Now, considering JB trades skill for grinders, what will a big grinder with skill - Gaunce - get JB in trade?  Is there a Dorsett/Prust hybrid out there? :lol:. Gaunce is going with Hammer somewhere as the prospect security, because EVERYONE knows Hammer is only on loan then he's coming back here.  

Gaunce and Henrik Samuelsson are two players I compare closely. 

http://thepipelineshow.blogspot.ca/2012/06/iss-final-rankings-for-2012-draft.html

A lot of fans liked the idea of drafting Samuelsson, and ISS had him ranked around where we were picking. Gaunce ended up dropping to our spot, but I think there is a good chance Samuelsson would have been our pick if Gaunce wasn't on the table.

After their draft year, Gaunce has 60 points in junior compared to Samuelsson's 80. The following year the gap was even bigger. 

As rookies in the AHL, Samuelsson finished well ahead of Gaunce with 40 points in 68 games earning a 3 game call up. This year however the tables have turned. Gaunce is having a very strong sophomore campaign, whereas Samuelsson has struggled immensely. 

Gaunce is looking like a strong pick. Sure Pearson has had some success, but a lot of busts after or guys not doing much in the AHL afterGaunce: Dansk, Moroz, Collberg, Aberg, Kerdiles, Sutter etc. 

3 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Gaunce and Henrik Samuelsson are two players I compare closely. 

http://thepipelineshow.blogspot.ca/2012/06/iss-final-rankings-for-2012-draft.html

A lot of fans liked the idea of drafting Samuelsson, and ISS had him ranked around where we were picking. Gaunce ended up dropping to our spot, but I think there is a good chance Samuelsson would have been our pick if Gaunce wasn't on the table.

After their draft year, Gaunce has 60 points in junior compared to Samuelsson's 80. The following year the gap was even bigger. 

As rookies in the AHL, Samuelsson finished well ahead of Gaunce with 40 points in 68 games earning a 3 game call up. This year however the tables have turned. Gaunce is having a very strong sophomore campaign, whereas Samuelsson has struggled immensely. 

Gaunce is looking like a strong pick. Sure Pearson has had some success, but a lot of busts after or guys not doing much in the AHL afterGaunce: Dansk, Moroz, Collberg, Aberg, Kerdiles, Sutter etc. 

I'm with you on all this. I didn't know much about Gaunce but was high on Samuelson at the draft. Looks like we made out pretty good. I'm guppy with Gaunce.  

All Gaunce has done since being drafted is improve his game. He is a highly intelligent kid who is coachable, reliable and always looking to improve. He has NHL size, his skating has improved and he's a far better two-way player than Shinkaruk will ever be. I see him making the Canucks next season at left wing behind Daniel and Baertschi, but that is only my opinion. I don't get people on these boards thinking Benning will trade him. Why go to all the trouble and expense of developing a player only to turn around and trade him for unknown quantities when he has developed to the point where he can contribute at the NHL level? Too many video game General Managers around here.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

All Gaunce has done since being drafted is improve his game. He is a highly intelligent kid who is coachable, reliable and always looking to improve. He has NHL size, his skating has improved and he's a far better two-way player than Shinkaruk will ever be. I see him making the Canucks next season at left wing behind Daniel and Baertschi, but that is only my opinion. I don't get people on these boards thinking Benning will trade him. Why go to all the trouble and expense of developing a player only to turn around and trade him for unknown quantities when he has developed to the point where he can contribute at the NHL level? Too many video game General Managers around here.

I agree that Gaunce will not be traded unless what comes back is more important than what he might offer. I don't consider the comparison between Gaunce and Shinkaruk is valid. Shink was top 6 or bust and Gaunce will probably end up being able to move up and down the lines as needed. Gaunce can also play C & LW. With Dorsett, Cracknell, Prust and likely Burrows being bottom 6 players the need to bring younger players into the bottom 6 lends support for Gaunce to make the jump to the NHL.

• Upvote 1

No one is safe but Gaunce doesn't have the same skillset as many of our other prospects. He's a bit singular in that regard, and an important piece as a result. He could end up being an elite bottom 6/top 9 player for us and we can't say that about a lot of other prospects, particularly on the left wing.

• Upvote 2

No one is safe but Gaunce doesn't have the same skillset as many of our other prospects. He's a bit singular in that regard, and an important piece as a result. He could end up being an elite bottom 6/top 9 player for us and we can't say that about a lot of other prospects, particularly on the left wing.

Moving forward we have many young players and time to let them play as I see Gaunce playing for us next year!Additions will be made at the draft and off season,but I don't see us making anything to big,or the other way and owners see he makes no money and gets JB to go after a type of player like a Staal and then trading a young C for druoin or other winger so we then have three good lines and a 4th that will work hard!