The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

On 8/10/2017 at 10:12 PM, theo5789 said:

For the ones that question his skating, although not a speedster, I remember having the speed to be hard on the forecheck and he often was stealing the puck from opponents with his puck pursuit.

He has decent straight ahead speed, but isn't the quickest laterally. The positive with that is he's positionally so sound he doesn't have to make a lot of corrections. He'll do well on a line that transitions between zones - kind of like he has been starting in the defensive zone and winning possession and then getting it to the other end (either with a break out or just a dump and chase).

On 8/4/2017 at 11:48 PM, nzan said:

Funny, I read those predictions by @Warhippyand @Derp... and I'd say they're exactly spot on (maybe 2b is a touch overly optimistic...)

You think at 22 or whatever Gaunce has completed his development arc as if he's 28?

You haven't noticed that he's done a great job as a rookie on the defensive end of his game?

You haven't noticed that he's managed to improve production year-over-year in the last two leagues he's played in?

Well said nzan.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/8/2017 at 7:32 PM, -AJ- said:

An injury would heavily hurt Gaunce. He's already under pressure to hold his spot on the team. Not playing could be really tough on him.

It's a mixed blessing.

It allows the Canucks more time to find out who will come out of the batch of bottom-6 forwards in the first couple of months of the season.  Then the Canucks can easily put Gaunce down in the AHL for rehab time and to get him up to speed.  

In terms of winning the affection of the coaching staff... he has already done it in the AHL under Green.... top-6 minutes, on the PP, on the PK and during important situations.  So Travis Green already knows what Gaunce is all about, so it's probably a given that he will won't be losing his spot due to injuries.  Unlike stats readers, Green will be able to see if Brendan will still be doing all the little stuff right in the NHL... and if he keep those up, that will nearly guarantee him a spot on the Canucks.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Lancaster said:

It's a mixed blessing.

It allows the Canucks more time to find out who will come out of the batch of bottom-6 forwards in the first couple of months of the season.  Then the Canucks can easily put Gaunce down in the AHL for rehab time and to get him up to speed.  

In terms of winning the affection of the coaching staff... he has already done it in the AHL under Green.... top-6 minutes, on the PP, on the PK and during important situations.  So Travis Green already knows what Gaunce is all about, so it's probably a given that he will won't be losing his spot due to injuries.  Unlike stats readers, Green will be able to see if Brendan will still be doing all the little stuff right in the NHL... and if he keep those up, that will nearly guarantee him a spot on the Canucks.  

No it is not a mixed blessing.  You don't quite understand just how precarious his situation is.  He needed to be in camp showing it was his spot and now someone else is going to take.  

9 hours ago, samurai said:

No it is not a mixed blessing.  You don't quite understand just how precarious his situation is.  He needed to be in camp showing it was his spot and now someone else is going to take.  

Mixed blessing for the Canucks as it allows them flexibility.  

Travis Green was his coach in Utica... so he's very aware of what he can or can't do.  Chances are Gaunce will be given every opportunity to make it onto the squad when he returns back from injury and conditioning.    

57 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Mixed blessing for the Canucks as it allows them flexibility.  

Travis Green was his coach in Utica... so he's very aware of what he can or can't do.  Chances are Gaunce will be given every opportunity to make it onto the squad when he returns back from injury and conditioning.    

Agreed, and the presumed conditioning stint in the AHL has the potential to see him regain some top-6 time and scoring

12 hours ago, samurai said:

Canucks gave him a 2-year (1 way) contract, all the while knowing he had an injury he is still recovering from.  I'd say they have faith in his abilities and is definitively in their future plans.

7 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Canucks gave him a 2-year (1 way) contract, all the while knowing he had an injury he is still recovering from.  I'd say they have faith in his abilities and is definitively in their future plans.

Pretty much. While is spot is far from a guarantee, they know what he can do and he'll be back among the 13-14 forwards we carry once he's healthy. They used him for a lot of defensive zone starts along with Sutter. If he's not there then someone like Burmistrov is in his place and Horvat is likely helping much more defensively instead.

8 hours ago, higgyfan said:

sure, but if they waive him he will be picked up so not really an investment at all in terms of money and length.  I am not saying they don't want him just that the previous poster is wrong in thinking that it will be gifted to him and that there are no guys that could take his spot. And the fact that he is injured means he doesn't have a chance to prove himself against his competition is not a mixed blessing  - it is a disaster especially considering his goal output last year.   The deck is stacked against him in a big way with this injury.

Edited by samurai

12 hours ago, samurai said:

sure, but if they waive him he will be picked up so not really an investment at all in terms of money and length.  I am not saying they don't want him just that the previous poster is wrong in thinking that it will be gifted to him and that there are no guys that could take his spot. And the fact that he is injured means he doesn't have a chance to prove himself against his competition is not a mixed blessing  - it is a disaster especially considering his goal output last year.   The deck is stacked against him in a big way with this injury.

I don't know, Sam.  What team picks up an injured player who has a 2-year contract (1-way)?   He would have to be 'gifted' a spot on said team, as they can't send him down to their AHL team.  Like you have said, his offensive production is sub par (so far) and there are 'other guys that could take his spot'; which I assume is the same for any other team.

Likely he will be on injury reserve for  a while and then a rehab stint in Utica.  We won't see him until at least mid-Nov. 

• 4 weeks later...