The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Exactly. Let him have his nine games before deciding if he is NHL ready or not.

I think its obvious Bo is ready for the NHL in a defensive roll. Question is how to maximize his limited offensive potential, would juniors be better getting playing time and lots of offensive opportunities or the NHL where he would be getting used to the speed of the pro game or would it even matter?

Until we see Horvat play with NHLers it's hard to say if he's ready or not.

He's not going to be judged by how many points he puts up for the Comets. These games are just to get him up to speed physically.

He'll be back up with the Canucks. That's when he needs to prove himself.

Why shouldn't he be judged on what he does with the Comets? All the Comet players are judged on what they do with the comets, if he is better than Gaunce, Shinkaruk, and Jensen and more NHL ready, that should be obvious in his time in Utica.

It is not.

• Upvote 1

Why shouldn't he be judged on what he does with the Comets? All the Comet players are judged on what they do with the comets, if he is better than Gaunce, Shinkaruk, and Jensen and more NHL ready, that should be obvious in his time in Utica.

It is not.

Ready for what though? To score goals? Probably not.

Play solid D/bottom 6 role/take draws...we'll see.

Edited by J.R.

Ready for what though? To score goals? Probably not.

Play solid D/bottom 6 role/take draws...we'll see.

Exactly. Right now our offence is fine, we don't need Horvat to contribute there, but we need him playing well defensively and winning as many faceoffs as he can.

He can help the PK too

he hasn't been recalled. he will play the next 2 games in utica, and then be recalled after his game on saturday.

Yeah Tues. against the Avs is likely his earliest game if WD is going to slot him in.

Personally I think it would be smart to give him at least a game to acclimate before playing any of the California teams. So I'd guess he likely plays the Avs, if not, we may not see him until the following week playing the Sens. Unless they're going to play "sink or swim" with him, which I somehow doubt.

Obviously it will depend on other players play too. If Mathias, Dorsett and Hansen all start playing like warriors every night and Vey's till popping in PP goals it's going to be tough to make space for him. But I'd wager at least one guy has an iffy game or two and/or somebody gets some bumps and bruises.

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 3

he doesn't get 9 ahl games, 6 max within his 2 week limit. the 9 games is in the nhl before we burn a year off his ELC.

And really, who cares if we burn a year off his ELC, it's not like he's projected to be a prolific scorer and will end up burning us on his next contract.

And really, who cares if we burn a year off his ELC, it's not like he's projected to be a prolific scorer and will end up burning us on his next contract.

If Bo starts his 3 year ELC next year you may be surprised at how much he gets paid on his next contract.

I think he is ready now, in 3 years even if his points are still under 50 for the season his value will be the same as your average 65-75 point player with average defensive skills.

I think he rotates in until they can't take him out of the lineup anymore because he is needed.

Matthias is the first to sit, Vey and Hansen will be banged up enough to be happy about sitting for a game or two after the Cali teams. Ha,ha

Yeah Tues. against the Avs is likely his earliest game if WD is going to slot him in.

Personally I think it would be smart to give him at least a game to acclimate before playing any of the California teams. So I'd guess he likely plays the Avs, if not, we may not see him until the following week playing the Sens. Unless they're going to play "sink or swim" with him, which I somehow doubt.

Obviously it will depend on other players play too. If Mathias, Dorsett and Hansen all start playing like warriors every night and Vey's till popping in PP goals it's going to be tough to make space for him. But I'd wager at least one guy has an iffy game or two and/or somebody gets some bumps and bruises.

I think you're right here. If Willie is going to put him in, it won't be Sunday for sure and putting him in against the best teams in the league may be overwhelming. Avs is best bet

Why not get him acclimated against a team that's struggling to find its groove.

What an accomplishment.

Well look at it this way then, O'Reilly leads the team on 9pts & is +1, BH ain't costing Utica goals which speaks to the defensive side of his game is up to scratch.(i know +- isn't the best stat but it gives some indication)

Well look at it this way then, O'Reilly leads the team on 9pts & is +1, BH ain't costing Utica goals which speaks to the defensive side of his game is up to scratch.(i know +- isn't the best stat but it gives some indication)

I've been watching the Comets games and he certainly doesn't look out of place as a 19 year old, but he's a lot lower on the depth chart than many here want to believe. It's unfortunate that he can't stay in Utica as a 3rd-4th liner and really get comfortablke as a pro