The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Anyone who thinks that Horvat, right now, is better than Mathias should probably take a break from the sport.

Right now? No. Two months from now... Maybe. At some point Bo will overtake Mathias in ability so It isn't that irrational to project forward especially with a player who is expected to be a big part of the teams future success

Anyone who thinks that Horvat, right now, is better than Mathias should probably take a break from the sport.

Depends on if we get Matthias from last night or Matthias of games 1-8. The latter Matthias could very easily find himself press box bound.

Depends on if we get Matthias from last night or Matthias of games 1-8. The latter Matthias could very easily find himself press box bound.

There's been nothing wrong with Mathias over the first 8 games. Did he dominate, no, but he was also playing out of position. Did he cost the team at all? Nope, not really. I have no issues with Horvat, he's going to be a great player, but right now he's not good enough to knock anyone out of the lineup.

• Upvote 1

There's been nothing wrong with Mathias over the first 8 games. Did he dominate, no, but he was also playing out of position. Did he cost the team at all? Nope, not really. I have no issues with Horvat, he's going to be a great player, but right now he's not good enough to knock anyone out of the lineup.

...and this is the reason why Sestito hasn't cracked the lineup yet as well. Horvat will get a look though, I'm sure.

He was pointless and a big fat -6. If that's "nothing's wrong" I don't even wanna know what's "bad."

9 games 1 point minus 5 11:30 average toi. I'm not big into plus minus for obvious reasons but since he's by far our worst forward in that regard. I'd say he's been an anchor to the team.

And as for playing out of position he's always been a C/LW so its not really outta position.

Edited by WonderTwinPowers

He was pointless and a big fat -6. If that's "nothing's wrong" I don't even wanna know what's "bad."

Dan Hamhuis and Kevin Bieksa are -4 and -7 with just 3 and 1 points each, respectively.

What's wrong with those guys?

Dan Hamhuis and Kevin Bieksa are -4 and -7 with just 3 and 1 points each, respectively.

What's wrong with those guys?

They're defenceman who constant match up against the other teams top lines? As opposed to a bottom 6 forward deployed in favourable matchups. And both of them could be better. but we don't also have young first round picks vying for there spot if they continue underperforming.

At the end of the day everyone who's saying trade Matthias for Horvat because horvat would do better. Has no idea if that's true. Same goes to those saying send Horvat to junior and play Matthias because he's better.

Maybe we should put them on the same team and see who performs better then? Maybe? Anyone?

Edited by WonderTwinPowers

Maybe we should put them on the same team and see who performs better then? Maybe? Anyone?

That's all I've ever been saying.

Horse @#$%. Matthias has been at best inconsequential games 1-8 and at worst has looked slow, lazy and disinterested. He has done almost nothing to use his size as an advantage and has been sub par on FO's.

There's even a quote from himself above stating that he played crappy the first eight games.

Nothing wrong with how he's played...uh huh :rolleyes:

Matthias would be in the press box IMO.

Sedin, Sedin, Vrbata

Burrows, Bonino, Vey/Kassian

Higgins, Richardson, Vey/Kassian

Dorsett, Horvat, Hansen

Now THAT is quality depth on all four lines IMO.

Yeah he finally showed up to play last night. More of that and Horvat may be sent back to London. But if that was just a flash that's only going to show up every 5-10 games... he'll soon be replacing Sestito's spot IMO.

The 4th line still doesn't have enough offence to me, I think Horvat can do better beside Kassian and Richardson who bring grit, offence and defence. Can't really see Higgins getting off Bonino's line, they're doing well together. Vey is playing well on the 4th line being sheltered. When Horvat comes back I see the line-up as:

Higgins - Bonino - Burrows/Kassian

Richardson - Horvat - Kassian/Burrows

Dorsett - Vey - Hansen

Balanced line-up, 3rd line can play hard minutes, 4th line (3B) can play the offensive minutes in the bottom 6, they can be our 2nd/3rd best offensive line IMO.

That's all I've ever been saying.

Horse @#$%. Matthias has been at best inconsequential games 1-8 and at worst has looked slow, lazy and disinterested. He has done almost nothing to use his size as an advantage and has been sub par on FO's.

There's even a quote from himself above stating that he played crappy the first eight games.

Nothing wrong with how he's played...uh huh :rolleyes:

Further to that, he has admitted to not playing well the first 8 games and that last night was he first night he felt he played well. Sorry I can't find the quote, but I think I heard it on 1040

Edit: it was posted earlier from a tweet from Ben Kuzma

Edited by Knucklehd

Further to that, he has admitted to not playing well the first 8 games and that last night was he first night he felt he played well. Sorry I can't find the quote, but I think I heard it on 1040

you're not the only one:

Shawn Matthias: "I would say it's my best game of the season because I've been pretty crappy the first eight games." #canucks

Move Burrows to the third then.

Maybe if Kassian plays like how he did yesterday more often. I don't imagine Willie mixing up the lines that much to fit Horvat in since we are playing well, that would kill alot of chemistry that was developed.

Edited by Plum

Maybe if Kassian plays like how he did yesterday more often. I don't imagine Willie mixing up the lines that much to fit Horvat in since we are playing well, that would kill alot of chemistry that was developed.

Sadly I agree that since we're winning as is, I doubt he tinkers with that line. IMO, we're a far better team when we have one of Burrows/Higgins on the third line (and one on the second).

My posted lineup's not a "what will be" it's a "what it should be" IMO.

Based off what? We haven't even seen him play. Can we wait until he gets his 9 games before proclaiming he's not good enough?

If Vey keeps doing what he's doing on the PP, then why not give him some chance with the Sedins since he plays with them on the PP?

Dank/Hank/Vey

Kassian/Bonino/Vrbata

Higgins/Horvat/Burrows

Matthias/Richardson/Hansen

Dorsett(when playing against tough teams he subs in with one of the 4th liners)

Giving Horvat quality players will definitely help him instead of him being placed with one dimensional players. That second line could work out because both Vrbata and Bonino are finishers and Kassian can feed them the puck with his passing ability which is I believe the best here in this organization not named Sedin. Kassian can also bring that heavy, hitting presence into the top 6 which we need against heavy weight teams in the west. Higgins and Burrows have been great thus far and I think they can bring that mentor-ship to Horvat. Better to give the young guys like Kassian, and Vey a chance in the top 6 so they can improve and become better players. The older guys like Higgins and Burrows have great leadership and I strongly believe it will help Horvat in the long run. And that fourth line would look very great. A great shutdown line that can shutdown top lines if they play to their full potential.

So all in all, I think Horvat should NOT go back to OHL. Let him stay here after his utica stint and get some games.

Just my two cents worth.

Edited by BeefGormley

Sadly I agree that since we're winning as is, I doubt he tinkers with that line. IMO, we're a far better team when we have one of Burrows/Higgins on the third line (and one on the second).

My posted lineup's not a "what will be" it's a "what it should be" IMO.

I have a hard time seeing us better with a 6-3 record, it could happen but we're alreadying doing better as expected.