The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Richardson:

IMO some of you are not giving Richardson credit for what he has done since coming to van. Last year Santo and Richardson carried the Canucks for stretches. Richardson was forced into a 2C role and performed.

This year he has continued his excellent play. For stretches the 3rd line has been the best line. IMO Matthias has prospered as was Kassian before injury. Horvat benefits as he can play 4C without pressure to move up. Next year Horvat can pressure Richardson for some 3C starts. Excellent time line.

The only concern I have with Bo is that sometimes he's watching too much in the defensive zone and he's not "reading the play" but he's just standing in the slot not moving his feet and I guess all he's really doing is blocking a passing lane. I don't know why he does that, sometimes he's tired but sometimes I don't know what it is.

He's similar to Toews in how he protects the puck, makes plays offensively and his vision. I think his skating can get to how Toews skates, not explosive skaters but can skate well.

The 4th line needs more ice-time than guys like Burrows and Higgins. Dorsett, Hansen and Horvat are all going 100% and battling hard same with Matthias and Vey. These guys are putting in alot of effort in every shift and they are lately our best forwards getting the most chances.

I was at the game tonight and I couldn't agree more! His instincts and puck protection in the offensive zone are coming along quite nicely but you're so right about him being passive.

It seems that when he's breaking out he's too scared there's going to be a turnover that he isn't joining the rush in till he's 100% sure the puck is getting out of the zone. While that's smart in a sense, the center needs to push the pressure up to alleviate pressure on the wingers, so in turn, if he's not moving he's putting more pressure on his wingers to get the puck out.

The fact that he's doesn't explode out of the defensive zone is fine though because that can be taught where defensively instincts are much harder to teach.

I was at the game tonight and I couldn't agree more! His instincts and puck protection in the offensive zone are coming along quite nicely but you're so right about him being passive.

It seems that when he's breaking out he's too scared there's going to be a turnover that he isn't joining the rush in till he's 100% sure the puck is getting out of the zone. While that's smart in a sense, the center needs to push the pressure up to alleviate pressure on the wingers, so in turn, if he's not moving he's putting more pressure on his wingers to get the puck out.

The fact that he's doesn't explode out of the defensive zone is fine though because that can be taught where defensively instincts are much harder to teach.

Yeah but the good thing is is that these things will get better with experience, I don't know alot of veteran centres who are that passive. That might be a problem right now though.

I think he might be a little passive because he's not confident in his skating to get back and try to stop a scoring opportunity if a turnover occurs, I'd like him to work on his skating a little bit more just the acceleration.

He is forechecking a lot better than when he first started out - Bo is really starting to finish his checks hard and not just skate by the player or give him a light bump. Really like seeing him hit hard on the forecheck and finish his check. A few plays where he uses his strength and size to steal pucks or drive to the net with a defender on him.

Just needs to keep working and improving. He's on the right path though.

A minute to go in a 2-2 game, trying to stop a 5 game losing streak, and WD has Horvat out there. That says a lot.

Horvat almost always makes the safe defensive play and so he should being a rookie and young at 19. Very obvious he does not want to hurt the team. His back check is great. He cuts the neutral zone down well. Noticed that a few times last night.

Love the experience he is gaining this year by sticking with Van. When was the last time a teenager stuck with the Canucks out of camp. The Twins?

Love the experience he is gaining this year by sticking with Van. When was the last time a teenager stuck with the Canucks out of camp. The Twins?

Petr Nedved - 1990. And strictly speaking, I don't know if we could say Bo make the team "out of camp" because of the injury. I suppose that's how it will be remembered though years down the road, and it wouldn't be wrong to say he made it out of camp either.

Edited by Dasein

Petr Nedved - 1990. And strictly speaking, I don't know if we could say Bo make the team "out of camp" because of the injury. I suppose that's how it will be remembered though years down the road, and it wouldn't be wrong to say he made it out of camp either.

I think Bure was 19 when he first broke into the NHL in 91-92.

Nope, he was 20 and missed camp and the first 3rd of the season

Edited by Canorth

Horvat will only miss a total of 7 games if he sent to the world Juniors.

Personally, this is a once in a lifetime oppurtunity for Bo Horvat. I'm sure the team is good enough to let Horvat go away for couple of weeks. give him a chance to represent Canada, if he was gonna make it, there is believe he would have either a C or an A. I really doubt those 7 games he will miss will be a season changer, if we are that weak to rely on a 19 year old for 7 games who only plays 9 minutes of ice time per game then we surely do not belong in the playoffs.

Terrible move JB and Linden... terrible move..... 7 games... after that Horvat is ours forever....

Shades of Mike Gillis era is beginning to happen.

Horvat is sent to Ontario to fight for his country in front of home crowd whois going to fill in for Horvat?

the forgotten one

Brendan Gaunce.

give him a 4th line role on the Canucks show us what he can do too. Plays a similar 2 way game, a physical canadian kid, nothing to lose.

Edited by MoneypuckOverlord

Personally, this is a once in a lifetime oppurtunity for Bo Horvat. I'm sure the team is good enough to let Horvat go away for couple of weeks. give him a chance to represent Canada, if he was gonna make it, there is believe he would have either a C or an A. I really doubt those 7 games he will miss will be a season changer, if we are that weak to rely on a 19 year old for 7 games who only plays 9 minutes of ice time per game then we surely do not belong in the playoffs.

Terrible move JB and Linden... terrible move..... 7 games... after that Horvat is ours forever....

Horvat is sent to Ontario to fight for his country in front of home crowd whois going to fill in for Horvat?

the forgotten one

Brendan Gaunce.

give him a 4th line role on the Canucks show us what he can do too. Plays a similar 2 way game, a physical canadian kid, nothing to lose.

Horvat's already been to the WJC once. I'm sure management discussed it with Horvat and received Horvat's input on it.

Horvat could have easily wanted to have stayed with the team as opposed to going to the WJC for a 2nd season.

Edited by The Lock

the forgotten one

Brendan Gaunce.

If you want melodrama, watch a soap opera. Horvat is fine.

His defensive game is great. Skates with confidence and stays in position. Would like to see him work on his zone entry though. His strategy seems to float into the circles and eventually toward the boards looking for a rebound. If he can work on getting into better scoring position rather than just working the boards, he'd be our 3rd line center now. He's definitely got a lot more potential than I thought. Future 2nd line shutdown center? Or 1st line powerforward? Either way I'm excited to watch him for years to come and I hope the Canucks don't trade him before his 26th birthday...lol

His defensive game is great. Skates with confidence and stays in position. Would like to see him work on his zone entry though. His strategy seems to float into the circles and eventually toward the boards looking for a rebound. If he can work on getting into better scoring position rather than just working the boards, he'd be our 3rd line center now. He's definitely got a lot more potential than I thought. Future 2nd line shutdown center? Or 1st line powerforward? Either way I'm excited to watch him for years to come and I hope the Canucks don't trade him before his 26th birthday...lol

I love Bo but no....

As ridiciculous as it is having a 5 million dollar guy on the 4th line it was good having some offensive talent in Burr with Horvat who can actually finish. I also think in games like last night where it's a blowout we should give him 2nd pp time to see what he can do. We should start grooming him early to have 2nd line upside so he's not a bottom 6 guy his whole life.

the forgotten one

Brendan Gaunce.

This post is out to lunch.