The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Almost every highly picked 18 year old thinks they can make it right after they're drafted. Few of them actually do.

My guess is he turns some heads in training camp, but is ultimately sent back to junior.

Exactly, and thats what will be best for him, he will OWN the OHL this season, which is exactly what he needs to experience

I think he stays (along with Gaunce). Gillis traded an up-and-coming star goaltender for this kid. I'm thinking he'll use his authority to keep Horvat on the main roster.

You can ruin prospects that way. Columbus ruined Gilbert Brule by expecting him to step in so soon.

I think he stays (along with Gaunce). Gillis traded an up-and-coming star goaltender for this kid. I'm thinking he'll use his authority to keep Horvat on the main roster.

You can ruin prospects that way. Columbus ruined Gilbert Brule by expecting him to step in so soon.

Brulé made the Blue Jackets' lineup in his first NHL training camp and signed with the club to a three-year, entry-level contract on October 3, 2005.[20] He made his NHL debut against the Washington Capitals in the Blue Jackets' season opener two days later, notching an assist on a goal by Dan Fritsche in a 3–1 loss.[21] The following game, he suffered a fractured sternum after receiving a hit from Calgary Flames defenceman Roman Hamrlík on October 7.[22] After missing 17 games, he returned to the lineup on November 20.[5] Brulé scored his first NHL career goal that night against Phoenix Coyotes, his team's lone tally in a 5–1 loss, beating goaltender David LeNeveu with a shot from the left offensive zone faceoff circle.[23] Ten days later, he suffered his second injury in as many months, breaking his leg during a game against the Minnesota Wild.[24]

Upon recovering, he was returned to the WHL on January 13, 2006.[25] By re-assigning Brulé before he played 10 NHL games, the Blue Jackets retained the first year of his rookie contract.[26] Another strong factor in the decision to return him to junior was the acquisition of centre Sergei Fedorov, making Brulé expendable.[27] Returning to the Giants, Brulé scored at a near-goal-a-game pace. He was named WHL Player of the Week on February 20, 2006, after recording 5 goals and 10 points in 3 Giants wins.[28] He was later chosen as WHL Player of the Month for February with 12 goals and 23 points in 13 games.[29] Completing the season with 23 goals and 38 points in 27 games, he earned WHL Second All-Star Team honours.[5] In the opening round of the WHL playoffs, Brulé was named WHL and CHL Player of the Week by scoring four goals and seven points over three games against the Prince George Cougars.[30] He received his second WHL and CHL Player of the Week honour during the WHL Finals against the Moose Jaw Warriors on May 10, having accumulated five goals and nine points in two games.[31] His award-winning week included a three-goal, four-point performance in Game 1 of the series – a 7–5 win for the Giants.[31] He went on to lead the WHL in scoring with 30 points in 18 games to earn the airBC Trophy as playoff MVP, helping the Giants to their first President's Cup as WHL champions.[32]

Advancing to the 2006 Memorial Cup,[notes 2] the Giants tied for third out of four teams after the round-robin. Requiring a tie-breaker game to determine who would play in the semi-final, Brulé recorded five points (two goals, three assists) against the Peterborough Petes, one point short of the tournament single-game record, in a 6–0 win.[33] The Giants were subsequently eliminated in the semi-final by the Moncton Wildcats 3–1.[34] Brulé registered the only Giants goal in the game.[34] Finishing with 12 points in 5 games, Brulé earned the Ed Chynoweth Trophy as the national tournament's leading scorer. He was also named to the Memorial Cup All-Star Team,[5] alongside Giants teammate Paul Albers.[35]

Columbus Blue Jackets

Still eligible for junior, Brulé made the Blue Jackets' roster for the 2006–07 season. A month into the campaign, he was assured by general manager Doug MacLean that he would not be returned to the Giants as he had been the previous season.[38] He was scratched several times under head coach Gerard Gallant, but after Gallant was replaced by Ken Hitchcock in late-November, he began receiving more playing time.[39] Playing mostly on the fourth line in his rookie season,[40] he averaged 10 minutes of ice time per game.[41] He went on to tally 19 points (9 goals and 10 assists) over 78 games in his first full NHL season.

During his second NHL season, Brulé recorded 9 points (1 goal and 8 assists) over 61 games with the Blue Jackets. He was sent down to the American Hockey League (AHL) in January 2008 for a month-long assignment as his play struggled,[5][42] notching 5 goals and 10 points in 16 games with the Blue Jackets' minor league affiliate, the Syracuse Crunch. At the end of the Blue Jackets' regular season, Brulé was re-assigned to Syracuse for the club's Calder Cup playoff run. Helping the Crunch advance to the second round, he recorded 2 goals and 5 points over 13 post-season games.

brule was a offensive player that was sent out to check. When you are expected to be great on a crap team I can see that hurting development more as the whole locker room is having confidence issues. Being surrounded by people who are experiencing the turmoil day in and day out weighs on you and being so young can imo hold you back.

bo has a chance to prove himself to the organization. If his play shows he is ready, then play him. All of this talk about bo staying or going is putting the cart before the horse.

since the draft I have to admit that everything i see about him is exciting me like a child before christmas. Well ok a child that has been told that santa is not coming, not real and remembers last year when drunk santa started to strip again.

Brule ruined Brule, quit trying to put the blame on Columbus. If the guy was such a talent he should have been able to put it together even on a crappy team like the Jackets, the guy just simply gave up no drive in him at all.

Brule ruined Brule, quit trying to put the blame on Columbus. If the guy was such a talent he should have been able to put it together even on a crappy team like the Jackets, the guy just simply gave up no drive in him at all.

placing a purely offensive player on the 4th line and expecting him to play defense ruined brule... that falls of columbus.

Almost every highly picked 18 year old thinks they can make it right after they're drafted. Few of them actually do.

My guess is he turns some heads in training camp, but is ultimately sent back to junior.

He has so far in prospects camp. From Tyson Guiriato yesterday, the Canucks prospects guy:

Tyson Giuriato @TysonGiuriato

@michaelegger Top 3 Prospects at Camp: Jensen, Corrado and Horvat. Any order would do.

@jamblo He is a very, very good player. Smart and skilled. Tough to say [how close to ready he is]. Need to see him in Main Camp against NHL players.

I want to order a Horvat Jersey off the London Knights website. Has anyone here ever done that? If so, how's the Quality?

Same as NHL quality jerseys. The orders come straight from the arena and they have two stitching machines in house. It's neat, you can buy a blank jersey at the game and have it stiched before the end of the game.

He's the new Hodgson. Hopefully this story has a better ending then that did.

That's actually what I was afraid of when I heard we drafted another C considering he has to beat out Henrik, Kes, and Schroeder for a spot. Hopefully by the time he's ready to play in the top six, there's room for him.

Same as NHL quality jerseys. The orders come straight from the arena and they have two stitching machines in house. It's neat, you can buy a blank jersey at the game and have it stiched before the end of the game.

how much do those usually cost?

i was hoping a friend of mine can find me a Horvat t-shirt while she's in London ... those exist? or jerseys only