The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brandon Sutter | #20 | C

-SN-

4 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

This just in.....Sutter will be a beast this year thanks to a significant change in his off-season training:  pilates.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/ben-kuzma-canucks-sutter-looking-forward-to-healthy-bounce-back-season-thanks-to-pilates

Fast forward to one week of preseason:  Sutter gets injured.  Seems like a swiss ball and rubber bands in the tv room does not make an elite athlete.  Roster problem solved.

Kidding of course........I think.

Well, I have to say, that as a former player with back problems, pilates (&yoga) have a big impact on a healthy back. You would be amazed how $&!#ty it is to play with a bad back. It is actually surprising that he hasn't done any pilates nor yoga before.

I say a bounce back year for Sutter, being healthy and hungry.

• Cheers 3

21 minutes ago, Jasin23 said:

Well, I have to say, that as a former player with back problems, pilates (&yoga) have a big impact on a healthy back. You would be amazed how $&!#ty it is to play with a bad back. It is actually surprising that he hasn't done any pilates nor yoga before.

I say a bounce back year for Sutter, being healthy and hungry.

Yes...just hoping none of his injuries are going to be chronic problems.

16 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

This just in.....Sutter will be a beast this year thanks to a significant change in his off-season training:  pilates.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/ben-kuzma-canucks-sutter-looking-forward-to-healthy-bounce-back-season-thanks-to-pilates

Fast forward to one week of preseason:  Sutter gets injured.  Seems like a swiss ball and rubber bands in the tv room does not make an elite athlete.  Roster problem solved.

Kidding of course........I think.

Read that with a smile this morning as well. Sutter is still a valuable player. He's good at faceoffs, the PK and he plays a defensively responsble game. He can also chip in a few goals here and there. I'm hopeful his off season training giowes well and makes an improvement for him this year. He struggled lasty seoasn wuith back-to-back injuries. I'm sure he can't wait to get back and earn his spot. My thinking is that Gaudette will play in Utica, and I'm very okay with that. Maybe a 3rd Line of:

Pearson - Sutter - Leivo ??

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Read that with a smile this morning as well. Sutter is still a valuable player. He's good at faceoffs, the PK and he plays a defensively responsble game. He can also chip in a few goals here and there. I'm hopeful his off season training giowes well and makes an improvement for him this year. He struggled lasty seoasn wuith back-to-back injuries. I'm sure he can't wait to get back and earn his spot. My thinking is that Gaudette will play in Utica, and I'm very okay with that. Maybe a 3rd Line of:

Pearson - Sutter - Leivo ??

Just had to laugh at the article a bit.  Perhaps he keeps the hockey socks on as leg warmers while he does his Jane Fonda pilates workout.

Agree he has value still.  Hopefully he plays well.  Would prefer to see Gaudette grow with the club too though.  

2 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Just had to laugh at the article a bit.  Perhaps he keeps the hockey socks on as leg warmers while he does his Jane Fonda pilates workout.

Agree he has value still.  Hopefully he plays well.  Would prefer to see Gaudette grow with the club too though.  

As we saw before in this thread with actual stats, Gaudette is not nearly as good as Sutter yet so I hope Sutter does have a good season. Laugh all you want about leg warmers and pilates. 

Let Gaud develop more and get ready to compete at the NHL level and hopefully in a year he can deliver as Sutter has in the past stats wise and hockey wise.

3 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Thing is I want Gaudette to into the best he can be.

I'd rather have Sutter match up against other team's top lines, be the main PK guy, have 75% of his zone starts in defensive end and importantly win draws.

When I picture Gaudette in that role I don't see him set up for success but rather failure. In the AHL he would be there #1 guy, #1PP, #1PK, matchup center, can continue to work on his faceoff game, play 20 minutes a night, Not have all his shifts in the defensive zone and develop his offensive game. It's too soon to put that on him right now IMO

I'd rather have a Gaudette who has proven himself in every way in the AHL and has refined his offensive game at the pro level than a a huge question mark trying to play a major significant role as the 3rd line shutdown C on a team vying for a playoff spot. Wouldn't help him or the club. Sutter is also made for the role we need him to fill. We just need to be healthy.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Anybody laughing at Sutter for doing Pilates (or yoga for that matter), has not done them.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

I have done many hot yoga classes and been absolutely gassed during and after, I am no couch potato either. Holding some of the deeper poses for long periods of time in 37degrees tests the mind and body. They can be extremely difficult. I have actually been thinking of taking up Pilates to try it out.

Good for Sutter, I hope it helps him out, as it has so many people.

• Cheers 4

9 hours ago, aGENT said:

Anybody laughing at Sutter for doing Pilates (or yoga for that matter), has not done them.

I am still trying to figure out how working out with pirates improves your game.  I always thought they drank too much and were lazy.  If it works I am in.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's hard to grasp why people are so critical of Sutter.

If it's just an injury thing - fine.

As a player though, he's perty darn good when healthy. With Bo and Elias in front he'll be even better.

If people don't grasp this they probably play ringette - or worse, roller hockey.

• Cheers 2

On 8/30/2019 at 9:47 AM, WeneedLumme said:

Yes, for a lot of posters, ignorance is bliss; anything they have no experience with, must be very easy.

I didn't realize there would be a hoard of pilates folks on this board ha ha!  Hey, I'm not so ignorant.....I do pilates and work with a physio for ongoing injuries on a weekly basis.  I do get it, but I also get that if he's at where he's at, he won't be able to put a full 82 game season in.  I guess we'll see in April.

20 hours ago, Team Bagues said:

It's hard to grasp why people are so critical of Sutter.

If it's just an injury thing - fine.

As a player though, he's perty darn good when healthy. With Bo and Elias in front he'll be even better.

If people don't grasp this they probably play ringette - or worse, roller hockey.

It's BECAUSE he's always injured.  Also, he has hands of stone.  Decent penalty killer and certainly not a bad player, but he is replaceable.  I'll take him over LE anyday though......especially now that he's doing his pilates.

Edited by NHL97OneTimer

3 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

It's BECAUSE he's always injured.  Also, he has hands of stone.  Decent penalty killer and certainly not a bad player, but he is replaceable.  I'll take him over LE anyday though......especially now that he's doing his pilates.

Prior to coming to Vancouver, he had nearly perfect health. Something something travel schedule grumble grumble...

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Brandon Sutter on Sportsnet 650:

On how he's feeling: "I feel pretty good, everything seems to be squared away now and I'm looking forward to the season. there's a lot of optimism around the team and we're looking forward to getting going."

On everyone having a role: "We have a group of top 6 guys, and the rest of us will fill out the rest of the line-up. For me, I want to come back in and play the role I'm comfortable with. We'll leave it to Petey and Brock to score all the goals."

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1