The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Gudbranson | #44 | D

-SN-

8 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

So 2 days ago Peter Chiarelli was an expert in hockey whose knowledge we should heavily consider?

I'm not talking two days ago. Two days ago, my response would have had a Chiarelli shaped caveat in it. What happened with that guy anyway?

The guy who turned Hall, Eberle and the pick that became Barzal into Adam Larsson?

Not to mention Caligula (sp) into, of all players, Brandon (I broke Connor's collarbone) Manning!

People even in the highest position can be idiots. I'm not suggesting I know enough to be an NHL GM, I know I don't, however that has nothing to do with evaluating Gudbranson.

Yet they got to that position. And Chia did twice! We all, as fans, want to evaluate players and come across as competent and confident in our assertions. I think that's part of the time we live in where anyone can, potentially be an expert by merely writing a blog.

15 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

So 2 days ago Peter Chiarelli was an expert in hockey whose knowledge we should heavily consider?

The guy who turned Hall, Eberle and the pick that became Barzal into Adam Larsson?

People even in the highest position can be idiots. I'm not suggesting I know enough to be an NHL GM, I know I don't, however that has nothing to do with evaluating Gudbranson.

In the same mold, all the Gudbranson type players are getting healthy scratched or sent to the AHL so If we want to go that way, we should listen to the GMs and get rid of him. 

37 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Lucic isn't afraid of anyone.

Didn't say he was. Doesn't mean Gudbranson didn't play a role in him not bothering to be as physically engaged as he might otherwise be against at team that's an easier target.

39 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

The reason he has a quiet game after that is because he has a quiet game in almost every game he plays nowadays, he's a shell of his former self as a hockey player.

27 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

i dunno, Lucic has been quiet in pretty much every game he's played this year :lol:.

Offensively, absolutely. He's still a punishing physical player more nights than not, when he's allowed to be.

40 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Read back through this thread and you'll see a ton of posts claiming that he's a legit top-4 D-man

A complimentary guy on a 2nd pair would be a top 4 FYI.

35 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

The second part is odd. Essentially, he can be solid if he's being babysat? Why do we want a guy that needs a top guy just to make him look decent. Tanev, Stecher, Hutton, Edler...these guys have looked good no matter who they're paired with. Gudbranson can't really babysit anyone else because that would mean he's an otherwise good dman being brought down by someone else. He's the one bringing down others.

The vast majority of NHL'ers build perfectly good careers as complimentary players to the elite few who drive their particular line/pairing. That doesn't mean they have no function. 

A complimentary player with a needed skill set is a perfectly useful player. They're labeled 'complimentary' for a reason. They compliment more elite skill sets and play drivers. I'm sorry that you guys have trouble grasping the concept of how teams work.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

In the same mold, all the Gudbranson type players are getting healthy scratched or sent to the AHL so If we want to go that way, we should listen to the GMs and get rid of him. 

Hughes will play with Guddy.  Then many will say how much better Guddy is playing.  Guys like Guddy do best with elite skating, puck moving partners.  The he can simplify his game to doing the heavy lifting, and taking hits to free up pucks for his partner.  Hughes will not only transform Guddy, he will transform our D and team.  

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hughes will play with Guddy.  Then many will say how much better Guddy is playing.  Guys like Guddy do best with elite skating, puck moving partners.  The he can simplify his game to doing the heavy lifting, and taking hits to free up pucks for his partner.  Hughes will not only transform Guddy, he will transform our D and team.  

I'm more comfortable going with Hughes-Tanev, might as well learn defense from the best on the team at it. Edler can play with Stecher, bottom two don't really care about for the rest of this year. Then try and get a solid defensive dman to play the right side next year, if possible. Don't want Hughes picking up Guddy's bad habits.

1 minute ago, Duodenum said:

I'm more comfortable going with Hughes-Tanev, might as well learn defense from the best on the team at it. Edler can play with Stecher, bottom two don't really care about for the rest of this year. Then try and get a solid defensive dman to play the right side next year, if possible. Don't want Hughes picking up Guddy's bad habits.

Hughes is ideally suited to play with Guddy.  Guddy does less with the puck, and Hughes does more.  

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hughes is ideally suited to play with Guddy.  Guddy does less with the puck, and Hughes does more.  

Guddy does even worse, he either ices or throws the puck out, giving the other team possession, forcing Hughes to defend more. Tanev makes passes - Hughes gets the puck more to do his thing.

At least, that's how I see it. With Guddy, Hughes will be stuck in his own zone more, the weakest part of his game, and the Canucks are worse off for it. He's in a better position to succeed with Tanev. Tanev is better defensively and he'll give Hughes the opportunity to play around with the puck more.

Personally, I believe Guddy is best used as a third-pairing defenseman. He has stints where he can handle 2nd pairing minutes, but those don't last for too long and the mistakes begin to pile up. His physical presence is very valuable to this team, so I'd prefer to keep him, but just limit his minutes to the third pairing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Guddy does even worse, he either ices or throws the puck out, giving the other team possession, forcing Hughes to defend more. Tanev makes passes - Hughes gets the puck more to do his thing.

At least, that's how I see it. With Guddy, Hughes will be stuck in his own zone more, the weakest part of his game, and the Canucks are worse off for it. He's in a better position to succeed with Tanev. Tanev is better defensively and he'll give Hughes the opportunity to play around with the puck more.

Guddy is great, when paired with a guy like Brian Campbell in FLA.  Guddy takes all the hits along the walls, which allows Hughes to collect the puck.  When Guddy gets the puck, he takes more hits, and gets the puck to Hughes.  With Hughes on the ice, teams will not be so willing to forecheck.  They will sag back into a 1-1-2, which will take pressure off Guddy.  Hughes is a game changing player.  

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Guddy is great, when paired with a guy like Brian Campbell in FLA.  Guddy takes all the hits along the walls, which allows Hughes to collect the puck.  When Guddy gets the puck, he takes more hits, and gets the puck to Hughes.  With Hughes on the ice, teams will not be so willing to forecheck.  They will sag back into a 1-1-2, which will take pressure off Guddy.  Hughes is a game changing player.  

Brian Campbell was a top dman in the league for many years. Hughes is a defensively deficient rookie. They aren't comparable.

The pairing would be a disaster defensively, you can quote me on that.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Duodenum said:

Brian Campbell was a top dman in the league for many years. Hughes is a defensively deficient rookie. They aren't comparable.

Hughes is already far better than Campbell.  Hughes will change how NHL teams defend.  You can save this, polish it up, turn it sideways ... :lol:  (Sorry, couldn’t resist “The Rockism”).  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

I find Guddy’s biggest weakness is getting the puck out of his own zone... wheeling it up in the transition game is Hughes’ biggest strength.  

Alf might be on to something.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Never suggested it. But if he was a real deterrent, the other team would be aware he's on the bench and would think twice about doing something stupid in fear of what would happen on his next shift.

This is the NHL, not the UFC. Good hockey players play against the other team's good hockey players. If you're not being matched up against the other team's best, you're a depth player.

Ever heard of the “game within the game”..??

What would you do with a team full of EP’s?

.. you must think you would win a cup? Lol

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Ever heard of the “game within the game”..??

What would you do with a team full of EP’s?

.. you must think you would win a cup? Lol

And you think With 12 EP’s as your forwards you wouldn’t win a cup? 

lol Team Lucic ftw 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I find Guddy’s biggest weakness is getting the puck out of his own zone... wheeling it up in the transition game is Hughes’ biggest strength.  

Alf might be on to something.  

Hughes will help Guddy in that regard for sure. It's the other way around that I'd be worried about.

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hughes is already far better than Campbell.  Hughes will change how NHL teams defend.  You can save this, polish it up, turn it sideways ... :lol:  (Sorry, couldn’t resist “The Rockism”).  

I dunno, I'm pretty sure Campbell, a 50 point top dman in the NHL was, at one point, better than a guy playing in university currently haha. Hope Hughes develops to be as good and better than Campbell but c'mon Alf, you know better.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

I dunno, I'm pretty sure Campbell, a 50 point top dman in the NHL was, at one point, better than a guy playing in university currently haha. Hope Hughes develops to be as good and better than Campbell but c'mon Alf, you know better.

If we are going to win a Cup in this coming decade, we need Quinn Hughes to be a uniquely gifted game changer along the same lines as Pettersson.  I think Quinn is that player.  (I’ll be 80 friggin’ years old in 2030). Come on Quinn!  :towel:

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

If we are going to win a Cup in this coming decade, we need Quinn Hughes to be a uniquely gifted game changer along the same lines as Pettersson.  I think Quinn is that player.  (I’ll be 80 friggin’ years old in 2030). Come on Quinn!  :towel:

Having two game breakers in the lineup sure would help in that regard. :goat::goat:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Having two game breakers in the lineup sure would help in that regard. :goat::goat:

I just about soiled the bed the first time I saw Pettersson play.  I couldn’t believe we had “that guy”.  The first time I saw Quinn play was at the World’s last year.  I was shocked he was there for us at 7.  (No soiling just yet though:)