The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Gudbranson | #44 | D

-SN-

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

Is July 1, 2019 the time to fill that (top end D) hole?  Go and get EK?  

I think he proposed that in another thread.  I’d love it if EK signed for a reasonable amount, which for me is around the 9 mil range.  

EK - Tanev - Guddy on the right with Edler - Hutton(Juolevi) - Hughes on the left would be night and day to what we’re icing right now.

Try and nab a nasty, scoring LW this draft.... could be soooooo good.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, EagleShield said:

Would anyone be defending Gudbranson if he was 5'11 and 185lbs? I doubt it. Would he even be in the NHL is a better question.

He's objectively awful at playing defence. In terms of preventing goals against, he is among the worst in the entire league.

He's also a fake tough guy. Throws a big hit every now and then but doesn't actually play with grit. Doesn't fight or any of that outdated "real hockey" stuff that he's being sold to us as. 

Cool story, bro. You read The Canuck Way, don't ya. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/7/2019 at 7:26 AM, Duodenum said:

It leads me to believe this is part of the reason why teams are heading toward the smaller, quicker d-men in the NHL. They've seen how important leaving the zone with the puck is. Also why Hughes is such an exciting prospect, his controlled zone entries are out of this world good. 

I think Gudbranson and Hughes would compliment eachothers games quite well.

It will be interesting to see if Quinn can make an impact next season and provide a much needed dynamic from our back end.

4 hours ago, The Beagle had landed said:

I think Gudbranson and Hughes would compliment eachothers games quite well.

It will be interesting to see if Quinn can make an impact next season and provide a much needed dynamic from our back end.

I don't know about that. Gudbranson is solely a glass and out type of dman. Pairing Hughes with Gudbranson will result in much less time with the puck for Hughes, where he's most dangerous and a lot more time in his own zone, where he's weakest (and now we have two defenseman together who are weak defensively). Tanev is a better partner for him as he's 1) a much better defender than Gudbranson and 2) He can get the puck to Hughes. Problem is that who becomes our shutdown pairing as Hughes does not look ready for that kind of responsibility. Edler-Gud? Gudbranson gets blown out by 2nd liners. 

40 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

I don't know about that. Gudbranson is solely a glass and out type of dman. Pairing Hughes with Gudbranson will result in much less time with the puck for Hughes, where he's most dangerous and a lot more time in his own zone, where he's weakest (and now we have two defenseman together who are weak defensively). Tanev is a better partner for him as he's 1) a much better defender than Gudbranson and 2) He can get the puck to Hughes. Problem is that who becomes our shutdown pairing as Hughes does not look ready for that kind of responsibility. Edler-Gud? Gudbranson gets blown out by 2nd liners. 

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Tanev would be a good choice, but he's one of the main reasons Edler is having a good year and if they are both on the team next season, they need to play together.

I personally think a physical stay at home defenseman will allow Quinn to play his game. Gudbranson is the only one on the team that fits this mould.  15 minutes a night would be ideal for this duo, and see how they progress from there.

But if one of Edler or Tanev are gone then I'm all for putting Hughes alongside one of them and leaving Gudbranson with whoever.

Juolevi will be a wildcard as well and could be a good fit beside Gudbranson if he's healthy and able enough to make the team.

On 1/7/2019 at 1:43 PM, aGENT said:

Yeah, because we have a #2 and #3 D as our top pair and two #4D as our 2nd pair. We lack top players at the top of the D group because we're a rebuilding team. The problem isn't the middle.

Ok respectfully though even when we went to the SCF we did not have a top D. The Canucks never had a top D since maybe Ohlund.

Edited by smokes
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

No but we had a butt load of #2D's. That can work pretty well too.

That's what I am seeing now and in the future. Even though I think Juolevi and Hughes are going to be very good NHLers, I can't see them more than 2d's either.

1 minute ago, smokes said:

That's what I am seeing now and in the future. Even though I think Juolevi and Hughes are going to be very good NHLers, I can't see them more than 2d's either.

And that's fine. Like in 2011 when we had #2's Edler, Salo and Hamhuis and 2B/3A's Bieksa and Ehrhoff and future 2B/3A Tanev as well as a decent 3/4 D in Ballard (who was basically our 6th/7th D).

If you've got a whole top 6 D of mostly 2's and 3's, you're going to be ok. It still qualifies as high end talent (even if lacking a true #1D). Again, compare that with what I listed above and we've got a lot less 2's and a lot more 3's 4' and below. We need more of that 1-3 D quality that pushes the other guys down the roster, not other 3-5's to swap out for our 3 current 3-5's. Again, they're not the problem.