The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Gudbranson | #44 | D

-SN-

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I just about soiled the bed the first time I saw Pettersson play.  I couldn’t believe we had “that guy”.  The first time I saw Quinn play was at the World’s last year.  I was shocked he was there for us at 7.  (No soiling just yet though:)

Sure but didn’t you also proclaim Jared McCann to have a better wrist shot than Joe Sakic? Over and over and over 

Edited by Zhukini
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kanucks25 said:

Um... they would win the cup with ease lol

A team full of EP’s??

.. lol.

he was out for 10 games after a throw down from a player that weighed 15 lbs more than him.

Coaches are tactical, as are players.

like I said, there is a game within the game..  it’s not pretty like Petey..

Edited by SilentSam
  • Like 2
  • Wat 2

9 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

A team full of EP’s??

.. lol.

he was out for 10 games after a throw down..  

like I said, there is a game within the game..  it’s not pretty like Petey..

1000 pluses.  That was great!  Thanks.  I miss hockey. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Some fans and all of media have such short memory.

Gudbranson basically held down the fort with Hutton when Eddie and Tanman were out and did very well.  Yeah it was in October/November, but he was rock solid and has basically been saddled with cleaning up Pouliot's mistake.

Pair Gudbranson with a more stable and easy dman like Sautner, Brisebois, McEneny and he will do just about what you expect Gudbranson to do.  Quiet but physical dman.

Gudbranson's best pairing as a Canuck was with Edler. Doesn't it make more sense to pair your weakest with your best than to put your worst with your worst and hope they don't get burned for the 15 minutes that you are forced to play them?

Edler Guddy

Hutton Tanev

Pouliot Stecher

If you keep putting the same pairings out there and expecting different results isn't that insane.

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Um... they would win the cup with ease lol

Which cup are we talking about? A red solo cup?

This is hockey we are talking about which is a team sport. Not beer pong which is what you must be thinking about clearly. Either that or you posted that after just partaking in the sport and having to drink a lot....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Gudbranson's best pairing as a Canuck was with Edler. Doesn't it make more sense to pair your weakest with your best than to put your worst with your worst and hope they don't get burned for the 15 minutes that you are forced to play them?

Edler Guddy

Hutton Tanev

Pouliot Stecher

If you keep putting the same pairings out there and expecting different results isn't that insane.

Haven't you ever heard of the Little Engine that could?

11 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Edler Guddy

Hutton Tanev

Pouliot Stecher

Edler is the best dman on the roster and pairing Guddy with him is naturally gonna make Guddy look better. And Edler worse. 

Tbh I think Guddy is an awful hockey player. Slow and always in the wrong place, can’t make a forward pass to save his life. 

On 1/24/2019 at 5:12 PM, Duodenum said:

Guddy does even worse, he either ices or throws the puck out, giving the other team possession, forcing Hughes to defend more. Tanev makes passes - Hughes gets the puck more to do his thing.

At least, that's how I see it. With Guddy, Hughes will be stuck in his own zone more, the weakest part of his game, and the Canucks are worse off for it. He's in a better position to succeed with Tanev. Tanev is better defensively and he'll give Hughes the opportunity to play around with the puck more.

Guddy does that because the Canucks don't have a Dman with Hughes's (potential) offensive abilities. 

Canucks have a few shutdown D, and a few sloppy D.

The Canucks will be a totally different team if Hughes and Juolevi transition to the NHL as hyped. There's a solid core of stable guys, and some players than can easily be moved to make way for the future.

Guddy's good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, falcon45ca said:

Guddy does that because the Canucks don't have a Dman with Hughes's (potential) offensive abilities. 

Canucks have a few shutdown D, and a few sloppy D.

The Canucks will be a totally different team if Hughes and Juolevi transition to the NHL as hyped. There's a solid core of stable guys, and some players than can easily be moved to make way for the future.

Guddy's good.

You'll have to provide some proof of Guddy's good' because all of the objective evidence, defensive metrics, and the eye test (for some) say otherwise. 

Hughes and Joulevi making the show would be awesome, let's just hope we have some actually good, stable defencemen to play next to them because stabilizing is not a word to describe Gudbranson 

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

You'll have to provide some proof of Guddy's good' because all of the objective evidence, defensive metrics, and the eye test (for some) say otherwise. 

Hughes and Joulevi making the show would be awesome, let's just hope we have some actually good, stable defencemen to play next to them because stabilizing is not a word to describe Gudbranson 

But but but he's 6'5 207lbs and a former 3rd overall draft pick !!!!

Edited by Zhukini
  • Haha 1

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040/burke-can-make-legitimate-case-gudbranson-is-worst-defenseman-in-nhl-1.1247239

Burke: Can make legitimate case Gudbranson is worst defenseman in NHL

JD Burke from the Athletic says Erik Gudbranson could be the worst defenseman in the NHL, but admits there may still be a trade market for Gudbranson. JD says there are D options on the farm, and the Canucks shouldn't be shy to use them.

His take isn't really surprising given where's it's coming from (the athletic). Pretty much every analytics guy in journalism has a similar opinion of Gudbranson.

Still it's rare that anyone calls a player "one of the worst" on tv or radio. 

Stand by my earlier notion that the single greatest improvement to the team could be made by improving on Gudbranson who is a huge liability on the ice. 

Corsica also came out with their player rankings. Gudbranson was ranked 242nd...out of 245 dmen. They also gave him a tier rating of an 8th defenseman. Only Edler (#2 dman) was given a top 3 dman rating on the team. Stecher at 100/245 and tier 4 (#4 dman) was the next highest so that was nice to see as a Stecher supporter. 

37 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040/burke-can-make-legitimate-case-gudbranson-is-worst-defenseman-in-nhl-1.1247239

Burke: Can make legitimate case Gudbranson is worst defenseman in NHL

JD Burke from the Athletic says Erik Gudbranson could be the worst defenseman in the NHL, but admits there may still be a trade market for Gudbranson. JD says there are D options on the farm, and the Canucks shouldn't be shy to use them.

His take isn't really surprising given where's it's coming from (the athletic). Pretty much every analytics guy in journalism has a similar opinion of Gudbranson.

Still it's rare that anyone calls a player "one of the worst" on tv or radio. 

Stand by my earlier notion that the single greatest improvement to the team could be made by improving on Gudbranson who is a huge liability on the ice. 

Corsica also came out with their player rankings. Gudbranson was ranked 242nd...out of 245 dmen. They also gave him a tier rating of an 8th defenseman. Only Edler (#2 dman) was given a top 3 dman rating on the team. Stecher at 100/245 and tier 4 (#4 dman) was the next highest so that was nice to see as a Stecher supporter. 

JD Burke should put his name in the hat for GM in Seattle.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1