The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Gudbranson | #44 | D

-SN-

8 minutes ago, Darius said:

Looks like Florida Panthers media (well at least one guy ) is lamenting about getting rid of Gudbranson...it is interesting to get a perspective from the other side.

Also: IMHO if Canucks did not have Gudbranson last night they would not have bullied that team the way they did.  Haley is a tough customer, probably had the most fights last year.  After Matheson turned down multiple attempts to fight....Gudbranson went after their toughest guy to make a point.

Hockey people understand the importance of having Gudbranson on your team.  Those, who really don't understand the violence and intimidation inherent in the game, don't.  It's as simple as that. 

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Zhukini said:

A staged fight hooray

Gudbranson being tackled by Burjnstad as he tried to get at it again was another stage too I suppose.

Its not really a “staged” fight anymore regardless..  neither or any player would want to give up the “instigator rule” in a fight to penalize their club.

A fight with Matheson would have gone down the same way.

You must like people getting suckered or jumped on or sumptin’?

1 hour ago, Duodenum said:

That's the key. Limit him to 3rd pairing minutes and he can be effective for the Canucks. All this time on the 2nd pairing where he didn't belong caused all this souring from the fanbase. He just isn't good enough to be in your top four but he has his uses on the 3rd pairing. He played 13 minutes against Florida and Hutton+Stecher looked fantastic. Keeping him and Pouliot around 15-16 minutes gives the team it's best chance at winning games.

He has the worst GF% in the league over the last 3 years. Yet we have continued to parade him out on the 2nd pairing where he is doomed to fail. He gives up 2 goals against for every goal for that he's on the ice for. He's playing against competition he cannot defend well against. That's it, that's the facts, 2 goals against for every goal for. We don't even need the fancy stats, the underlying numbers, the "analytics". 2 goals against for every goal for. That is ineffective in plain sight. Imagine Andrew Alberts in our top 4 when he was with the Canucks? That's basically what we had here. 

Keep him with Pouliot, keep him at 15 minutes per game and the Canucks are better off for it. Yea, they'll give up their goals still, but it'll affect the Canucks less overall AND we still get his toughness into a line-up that is short on that. 

WHy is Gudbranson playing 2RD? Well who is playing 3RD? Stecher. I agree with you that Stecher's game has taken a upswing over the past 2 - 3 weeks. Green is giving him sheltered TOI so he can develop his game. As a result Guddy gets 2 pairing minutes. At that his overall TOI is usually 18 minutes as he gets limited PK and no PP time. IMHO one of the big issues this year was whether Stecher could hang in because he was pretty banged up last year and his game broke down regularly in the d-zone. Still a work in progress but fans should be happy with his progress. There should be a role for both of these players on a CUP contending team. 

36 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

WHy is Gudbranson playing 2RD? Well who is playing 3RD? Stecher. I agree with you that Stecher's game has taken a upswing over the past 2 - 3 weeks. Green is giving him sheltered TOI so he can develop his game. As a result Guddy gets 2 pairing minutes. At that his overall TOI is usually 18 minutes as he gets limited PK and no PP time. IMHO one of the big issues this year was whether Stecher could hang in because he was pretty banged up last year and his game broke down regularly in the d-zone. Still a work in progress but fans should be happy with his progress. There should be a role for both of these players on a CUP contending team. 

Yea, that's part of the why, we didn't know what we had in Stecher. Another reason could be that he doesn't really work with any of our left side defenseman - Edler, Hutton, or Pouliot. It is just annoying having to hear how he's some misunderstood dman who's effectiveness can't be seen on the scoresheet or similar baloney from some of the locals here. 

When Guddy decides he is going to make certain teams pay the price physically, he is worth every penny. Trouble is, I think even Guddy will agree that he hasn't played his best hockey in Vancouver. Where is the issue and what is the disconnect? Is his role not being clearly defined? Compounded injuries leading to an inconsistent physical presence? Trying to change the way he plays? I have no idea at this point. We all see that he is capable to be that big intimidating character, but more often than not the willingness is not there. How can we get Guddy to unleash the beast more frequently, or will we truly see his final form come playoffs?

1 hour ago, Specz said:

When Guddy decides he is going to make certain teams pay the price physically, he is worth every penny. Trouble is, I think even Guddy will agree that he hasn't played his best hockey in Vancouver. Where is the issue and what is the disconnect? Is his role not being clearly defined? Compounded injuries leading to an inconsistent physical presence? Trying to change the way he plays? I have no idea at this point. We all see that he is capable to be that big intimidating character, but more often than not the willingness is not there. How can we get Guddy to unleash the beast more frequently, or will we truly see his final form come playoffs?

I think it has to do with a lack of chemistry with our available left side, 2nd pair D partner (Hutton) and a lack of top pair depth/quality in front of him.

He can be a complimentary guy on a 2nd pair (with a more dominant partner...like with Edler last year or Campbell in FLA) or the rock on a 3rd pair (like last night with Pouliot) but expecting him to be the guy on a 2nd pair, particularly behind a mediocre first pair, is not his strength. No less on a rebuilding team with numerous injuries to it's better defensive players (Edler, Tanev, Sutter, Beagle etc)  that would help share the defensive load that is his bread and butter.

• Upvote 3

Florida seems to love him. The few fans I do see on comments sections always talk about how they would love to have Guddy back. I think a big part of the trade was the return (a high 2nd and a recent 1st rounder) but perhaps the would like him back? 

Florida has a lot of depth at Centre and one guy underperforming a bit for their contract is Bjugstad. Florida's D looks pretty think and after moving Petrovic should have the room on the roster for Gudbranson. 

Would anyone else consider a Guddy for Bjugstad swap? Perhaps Guddy + Granlund or Schaller for Bjugstad + RH D (perhaps Weegar?)

1 hour ago, canucklehead44 said:

Florida seems to love him. The few fans I do see on comments sections always talk about how they would love to have Guddy back. I think a big part of the trade was the return (a high 2nd and a recent 1st rounder) but perhaps the would like him back? 

Florida has a lot of depth at Centre and one guy underperforming a bit for their contract is Bjugstad. Florida's D looks pretty think and after moving Petrovic should have the room on the roster for Gudbranson. 

Would anyone else consider a Guddy for Bjugstad swap? Perhaps Guddy + Granlund or Schaller for Bjugstad + RH D (perhaps Weegar?)

Bjugstad is big, but doesn't look to be a tough customer from what I gather (I don't keep up with Florida). The one thing Guddy brings that we really value is his physical presence. If we're getting rid of him, I'd like another intimidating customer in return (or gotten via other means to replace Guddy). I don't mind the idea of shipping him back to Florida though.

8 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Bjugstad is big, but doesn't look to be a tough customer from what I gather (I don't keep up with Florida). The one thing Guddy brings that we really value is his physical presence. If we're getting rid of him, I'd like another intimidating customer in return (or gotten via other means to replace Guddy). I don't mind the idea of shipping him back to Florida though.

Michael Ferland is a UFA at the end of the year. I believe the Canucks should target him as a top line LW'er. There are some other less gritty but big LWers hitting free agency. 

Ferland-Petersson-Boeser

Instant protection for our two star forwards. Then we can either ship Gudbranson out or keep him as the 6th dman. 

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Stecher

Hughes-Gudbranson

Sucks to saddle Hughes with Gudbranson but it'd be on the third pairing and Hughes would get #1 PP time. You'd want Hughes out there with Petey but you definitely don't want Guddy out there with him. Another option in UFA is Anton Stralman. Much better defensively, but he's 32 and ageing. 

17 hours ago, aGENT said:

I think it has to do with a lack of chemistry with our available left side, 2nd pair D partner (Hutton) and a lack of top pair depth/quality in front of him.

He can be a complimentary guy on a 2nd pair (with a more dominant partner...like with Edler last year or Campbell in FLA) or the rock on a 3rd pair (like last night with Pouliot) but expecting him to be the guy on a 2nd pair, particularly behind a mediocre first pair, is not his strength. No less on a rebuilding team with numerous injuries to it's better defensive players (Edler, Tanev, Sutter, Beagle etc)  that would help share the defensive load that is his bread and butter.

You're crazy, aGENT. Gudbranson is holding this team back, clearly. The time to trade him is now, don't ya know?

18 hours ago, aGENT said:

On a CUP contender Guddy is likely a 3rd pairing d-man. Playing 2RD he is faced with many top flight offensive players. Where he is not appreciated enough iMO is in heavy games or hopefully CUP play. Canuck fans have been out of playoffs for so long they forget that the whistles are put away and the game becomes much tougher. Canucks are no where big enough or tough enough to handle this game. Gudbranson is only the beginning of what will be required. 

38 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

On a CUP contender Guddy is likely a 3rd pairing d-man. Playing 2RD he is faced with many top flight offensive players. Where he is not appreciated enough iMO is in heavy games or hopefully CUP play. Canuck fans have been out of playoffs for so long they forget that the whistles are put away and the game becomes much tougher. Canucks are no where big enough or tough enough to handle this game. Gudbranson is only the beginning of what will be required. 

I think he could still be a complimentary guy on a 2nd pair on a contender as I outlined above.

Say we were to land Karlsson this summer and Hughes develops well the next couple years. A top 4 in a couple years, something like:

Hughes, Karlsson

Edler, Gudbranson

(Juolevi, Stecher 3rd pair?)

...would likely be just fine.

And yes, particularly in the war of attrition that is the first round, Gudbranson certainly has a role to play whether that's 2nd or 3rd pair. And yes, should we have the luxury of pushing him to the third pair by an embarrassment of riches in our top 4, we're all the better off and likely a solid contender and/or have such depth that we could likely afford to trade some to fill other holes.

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, -AJ- said:

He's been better in the last couple of wins, but in the last 15 games, Gudbranson has 0 points and is -11. Hopefully he can get his game under control again.

Those suicidal inbred idiots over at hf say that L. Schenn's fancy crap is better than Guddys. That cannot be right can it?  I don't care about fancy stats at all. 

TELL ME IT IS OK!!!

57 minutes ago, bree2 said:

Gudbranson is fine, I don't know of any defenseman who doesn't make mistakes. 

Exactly bree. Every single player in the league screws up from time to time. Sadly, the weasels go after Guddy because of fancy stats. Nerds. What can you do? Hahaha

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1