The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

It's my understanding that one of the Black Bears top players has just signed a NHL contract. This might impact on Huttons decission. One hand it's nice to have life insurance with a degree in your back pocket and it's no skin off the Canucks nose if you fail to make it. Hanging around on a amateur hockey team playing 2 games a week does do justice to the concept of development. Some tough choices for a young guy and I hope he has people he can council

Edited by Fred65

I wouldn't read too much into Hutton's comments looking ahead to next year with Maine. In that very same interview, he makes it clear that the Canucks have yet to actually reach out to him. He also makes it clear that he wants to go pro either this year or the next. And that, should be receive an offer from Vancouver, he will sit down with his family and make the decision that's best for him.

I believe Hutton when he says that he hasn't heard from the Canucks. And until he does, it only makes sense for this kid to focus on playing hockey next season with the only team that's currently offering him a role. If and when the Canucks actually offer him an alternative place to hone his skills, then these types of comments (about where he sees himself playing next season) will become much more meaningful.

For the time being, Hutton just knows he's gonna play hockey next year. And at least to-date, there's only one team offering him a spot in their lineup. Hopefully Benning changes this soon. And when that happens, I'll be very interested in which team Hutton envisions himself playing for in 2015-16.

I wouldn't read too much into Hutton's comments looking ahead to next year with Maine. In that very same interview, he makes it clear that the Canucks have yet to actually reach out to him. He also makes it clear that he wants to go pro either this year or the next. And that, should be receive an offer from Vancouver, he will sit down with his family and make the decision that's best for him.

I believe Hutton when he says that he hasn't heard from the Canucks. And until he does, it only makes sense for this kid to focus on playing hockey next season with the only team that's currently offering him a role. If and when the Canucks actually offer him an alternative place to hone his skills, then these types of comments (about where he sees himself playing next season) will become much more meaningful.

For the time being, Hutton just knows he's gonna play hockey next year. And at least to-date, there's only one team offering him a spot in their lineup. Hopefully Benning changes this soon. And when that happens, I'll be very interested in which team Hutton envisions himself playing for in 2015-16.

I agree with this and I add in one more.

With a recent signing of a WHL D man, at what point in time will benning sit down and actually do something with promising prospects Hutton and Subban.

DeNiro;

Doesn't sound like a guy who watches the Canuck depth chart get deeper and deeper. The longer he stays collegiate the harder it will be to move up the Canuck chart. He simply might not be emotionally invested.

Or maybe he sees that our depth chart is getting deeper and deeper. Maybe he knows he'd get more playing time, plus be able to finish his degree, if he stayed one more year. I have absolutely 0 problems with his decision.

Botchford is acting like its pretty much a done deal Hutton plays in the AHL

from his article

They also plan to sign Ben Hutton. His deal will slide to next year as well. Watch for them to send Hutton to Utica to play on a PTO later this season.

I still think Hutton stays one more year, but it would be great to see what he can do in Utica this year.

Botchford is acting like its pretty much a done deal Hutton plays in the AHL

from his article

I still think Hutton stays one more year, but it would be great to see what he can do in Utica this year.

I think there's probably some fire to all that smoke, especially since The Province has reiterated Botchford's claims in their most recent White Towel blog post. I'd assume that a source inside the Canucks has hinted that they're going to approach Hutton with an offer.

But i also believe Hutton when he says that they haven't been talking (yet) and that he will need to think things over and consult his family before he makes any decision.

So even if Botchford's source is good, I would expect it's far from a "done deal" that we see Hutton in Utica this year.

That said, if an offer is made, I do believe that Hutton would sign and turn pro, forgoing next season with Maine. His career goal is to play professional hockey and while he's also made it clear that he intends to finish his degree, the two are far from mutually exclusive. In fact, most colleges will go a long way to help players complete their final credits during their spare time and offseasons, and countless NHLers have quietly completed their degrees while playing professional hockey.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

It's my understanding that one of the Black Bears top players has just signed a NHL contract. This might impact on Huttons decission. One hand it's nice to have life insurance with a degree in your back pocket and it's no skin off the Canucks nose if you fail to make it. Hanging around on a amateur hockey team playing 2 games a week does do justice to the concept of development. Some tough choices for a young guy and I hope he has people he can council

the conditioning and strength training facilities and coaching staff NCAA players have access to is better than CHL teams... Altho they are playing less games they have more time to strength train and grow.

• Upvote 1

the conditioning and strength training facilities and coaching staff NCAA players have access to is better than CHL teams... Altho they are playing less games they have more time to strength train and grow.

Well he'll be going to the AHL where they have lots of time to train too.

I'm sure the Comets have access to a great facility as well. He won't have school getting in the way of training either. :lol:

I think there's probably some fire to all that smoke, especially since The Province has reiterated Botchford's claims in their most recent White Towel blog post. I'd assume that a source inside the Canucks has hinted that they're going to approach Hutton with an offer.

But i also believe Hutton when he says that they haven't been talking (yet) and that he will need to think things over and consult his family before he makes any decision.

So even if Botchford's source is good, I would expect it's far from a "done deal" that we see Hutton in Utica this year.

That said, if an offer is made, I do believe that Hutton would sign and turn pro, forgoing next season with Maine. His career goal is to play professional hockey and while he's also made it clear that he intends to finish his degree, the two are far from mutually exclusive. In fact, most colleges will go a long way to help players complete their final credits during their spare time and offseasons, and countless NHLers have quietly completed their degrees while playing professional hockey.

so they plan to talk but they havent talked just yet.

I wouldnt worry about depth issues. He has size, which is already an asset. He can skate, another asset and if he pops in a few goals, he should get vaulted ahead of the pack

Per media reports, Maine junior defenseman Ben Hutton has signed with Vancouver Canucks http://sbnation.com/e/7990930

The Vancouver Canucks have signed Maine junior defenseman Ben Hutton to an NHL entry-level contract, as first reported by Whitneigh Kinne of WCSH 6 in Portland. A fifth round selection by the Canucks in the 2012 NHL Draft, Hutton is an offensive defenseman who skates well and has the ability to start the breakout.

Hutton, a 2013-14 All-American, saw his numbers regress in his third season in Orono, but he's still a player with offensive upside from the blue line. The Prescott, Ontario native had nine goals and 12 assists in 39 games played this season. He finished his Black Bears career with 28 goals and 37 assists in 108 games.

Hutton had a better season in his own zone last season compared to this recent one where he struggled at times. He finished with a team worst -15 plus/minus and was caught flat-footed and out of position on numerous occasions. It's possible a change of scenery and a move to the AHL will allow for his defensive game to develop further. Hutton will report to the Utica Comets, the organization's AHL affiliate, immediately.

Hutton joins classmate Devin Shore in leaving the Black Bear program with a year of eligibility left. Shore signed with the Dallas Stars last week and has begun playing for the organization's AHL affiliate, the Texas Stars.

I'm posting a new thread as well, but wanted to put it here for discussion as well since a lot of people still follow this thread and might miss a new one.

Edited by elvis15

So he's reporting immediately to Utica.

That leaves us back end heavy on both teams. Do we carry an extra body right now or are we FINALLY going to shed some of that lower end redundancy at seasons end?

It's going to look like the floor of a dog kennel I'm guessing.

Guest Dasein

If we keep all our RFAs (without UFAs Biega & Sanguinetti), this is our NHL/AHL depth chart:

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Clendening

Sbisa - Bieksa

Stanton - Weber

Pedan - Corrado

Hutton - Subban

Andersson -

McEneny -

Cederholm -

Sautner -

Some serious logjam on the left side - I wouldn't mind seeing someone getting flipped for an RHD of similar stature

EDIT: forgot our recent acquisition of Sautner

Edited by Dasein