The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

25 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Thing is when he plays, he is purely a reactive player rather than anticipating and reading the play.  This is why he struggles so much defensively and offensively the past two seasons is because he doesn't make the necessary reads.  He chases the game too much leaving him in vulnerable positions and often hanging out his partner to dry.

TG's comments on Hutty's focus doesn't surprise me though.  Makes you wonder with TG's comments what his off ice and on ice habits are, and whether his mind is actually focused on playing hockey and being a pro.   Not sure if its his personality or what, but he almost strikes me as the one who likes to goof off a lot, the proverbial goofy person in a classroom.

Not sure how I'd feel about dealing him, but certainly haven't been impressed with his game.  

You often hear from people who knew him years ago say that he hasn't changed. He didn't play OHL hockey. Basically went from Tier 2 to Collegiate hockey. I guess what I am trying to say is that what he achieved right up to his 1st NHL season was way above expectation. As usual the Canucks were so desperate for roster talent that Hutton never spent any time in the AHL. If he had played at least a season in Utica his career might be further ahead. I think Green is giving him some tough love. I don't see him being traded if the Canucks see any value in his future as a NHL'er as they would not get much for him.

What Hutton has to understand is that he has, at best, another season to change his game. He has to want to play enough that he will do what he has to. When he has sat out and then come back in I don't see a lot of change. To be fair I don't see much change in Pouliott either. Pouliott has a better offensive upside. When I say Hutton has another season it is simply because the young talent is at least another year away.    

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/20/2018 at 8:10 AM, -AJ- said:

Last year, Hutton added a bunch of weight, turning him from average, to a fairly big defenseman. Somehting like 195 lbs to 207 lbs. That said, it seems like it largely just made him a bit slower and more sluggish. I've seen bits of his bigger size come into play, but not often enough given his size. If he wants to be 207 lbs, it makes sense for him to use that size more. If he played like Stecher does, he'd be smashing guys left and right.

I think he was only 183 as a rookie.  24 lbs is way too much.  He hasn't been the same since.  

I couldn't say if his recent play was due to mental or physical reasons

1 minute ago, Crabcakes said:

I think he was only 183 as a rookie.  24 lbs is way too much.  He hasn't been the same since.  

I couldn't say if his recent play was due to mental or physical reasons

Green said that Hutton needed to commit to better off ice habits.  I figured that meant fitness and diet.  Hutton (I think?) confirmed as much on a 650 radio interview a while back. 

On 1/24/2018 at 9:28 AM, coastal.view said:

wow

quite the list of players

who missed making it in the nhl

good thing they were not kept

You're going to tend have a large number of guys 'not make it to the NHL' in the later rounds.  Shinkaruk was the highest pick of the lot (@ 24th overall).

Rodin  (mid-round 2nd round pick - he just couldn't stay healthy)

Jensen  (late 1st round pick)

McNally (late 4th round pick)

Mallett (late 2nd round pick - no argument, this was a really awful pick)

Friesen  (late 6th round pick)

Grenier  (late 3rd round pick)

Shinkaruk  (mid-round 1st round pick)

Subban  (late 4th round pick)

Still, you'd like management to hit more than one pick out of 6 years of drafting in the later rounds (Hutton?).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

5 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

You're going to tend have a large number of guys 'not make it to the NHL' in the later rounds.  Shinkaruk was the highest pick of the lot (@ 24th overall).

Rodin  (mid-round 2nd round pick - he just couldn't stay healthy)

Jensen  (late 1st round pick)

McNally (late 4th round pick)

Mallett (late 2nd round pick - no argument, this was a really awful pick)

Friesen  (late 6th round pick)

Grenier  (late 3rd round pick)

Shinkaruk  (mid-round 1st round pick)

Subban  (late 4th round pick)

Still, you'd like management to hit more than one pick out of 6 years of drafting in the later rounds (Hutton?).

Forsling

21 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Forsling

I was just talking about the Gillis regime (though I realize also Gillis tended to trade away a fair number of these picks).

oops....didn't see your post above when I wrote this post.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

21 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Thing is when he plays, he is purely a reactive player rather than anticipating and reading the play.  This is why he struggles so much defensively and offensively the past two seasons is because he doesn't make the necessary reads.  He chases the game too much leaving him in vulnerable positions and often hanging out his partner to dry.

TG's comments on Hutty's focus doesn't surprise me though.  Makes you wonder with TG's comments what his off ice and on ice habits are, and whether his mind is actually focused on playing hockey and being a pro.   Not sure if its his personality or what, but he almost strikes me as the one who likes to goof off a lot, the proverbial goofy person in a classroom.

Not sure how I'd feel about dealing him, but certainly haven't been impressed with his game.  

I’m getting the vibe that Hutton’s a bit too happy go lucky, similar to the way Eddie Lack was. I know Eddie rubbed people the wrong way because some didn’t think he took the game seriously enough, and I can see that similarity in Hutton. 

On 2/22/2018 at 4:10 PM, Boudrias said:

You often hear from people who knew him years ago say that he hasn't changed. He didn't play OHL hockey. Basically went from Tier 2 to Collegiate hockey. I guess what I am trying to say is that what he achieved right up to his 1st NHL season was way above expectation. As usual the Canucks were so desperate for roster talent that Hutton never spent any time in the AHL. If he had played at least a season in Utica his career might be further ahead. I think Green is giving him some tough love. I don't see him being traded if the Canucks see any value in his future as a NHL'er as they would not get much for him.

What Hutton has to understand is that he has, at best, another season to change his game. He has to want to play enough that he will do what he has to. When he has sat out and then come back in I don't see a lot of change. To be fair I don't see much change in Pouliott either. Pouliott has a better offensive upside. When I say Hutton has another season it is simply because the young talent is at least another year away.    

I really find Hutton's quote unfortunate. Maybe I'm understanding it the wrong way but to me it shows that he doesn't know what to do to earn his spot back. I hope he's given an opportunity to put this season behind and figure things out in the summer. Unless the Canucks are able to acquire a Cal Foote type prospect, and even then, I really don't see the point in trading Hutton at the deadline or this year's draft. Joulevi, Brisebois and Chatfield are the most promising prospects below Hutton. Not deep and certainly not confidence inspiring.

• Upvote 1

Just now, OneSeventeen said:

I really find Hutton's quote unfortunate. Maybe I'm understanding it the wrong way but to me it shows that he doesn't know what to do to earn his spot back. I hope he's given an opportunity to put this season behind and figure things out in the summer. Unless the Canucks are able to acquire a Cal Foote type prospect, and even then, I really don't see the point in trading Hutton at the deadline or this year's draft. Joulevi, Brisebois and Chatfield are the most promising prospects below Hutton. Not deep and certainly not confidence inspiring.

I agree. Moving Hutton now will get very little in return. I am still hoping that with a summer of training and reflection on what he has to do he can still come back and be a 

5 or 6D. As you rightly point out there are d-men who could bump him out as early as next year.