The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How far away are we from being a competitor for the cup again?

NavyCanuck341

Hey guys, first post on CDC.

Just curious as to how long you guys think it will take until the Canucks are a legitimate competitor for the cup? or very lease a deep playoff push? Personally, I believe that we squeak into the playoffs next year, maybe even a chance at top 3 in the division. With a healthy team, and also the defensive upgrades we have made so far, I don't see it being outside of the realm of possibility. Give or take the Nucks 3-5 years to be a legit threat in the league like we once were.

It not only depends on how long our draft picks and traded-for prospects take to develop, but IF they reach anywhere close to their ceilings. It has to remembered, too, that even in a best case scenario, we're still losing offense as the Sedins age. We need a few home runs from our youngsters, and from our #5 in three weeks. If all goes right, maybe five years.

Depends on a great many things, from young guys over achieving to savvy free-agent signings to the luck of not having many injuries along the way.  I think we should go out and sign Andrew Ladd and Troy Brouwer, and go from there.  Hopefully everyone gels, nobody cries over Higgins not being around, and we get improved play from our back end.  Not saying signing 2 guys would make us a contender, but I could see us making some noise while waiting for our fifth over-all pick to marinate in junior/AHL and Boesser to complete college and then come rock us like a Hurricane in a way we haven't since Bertuzzi was the best power forward in the league. :)

As for when we'll be contenders, 3-4 years at the pace we're going.

On one hand it comes down to if / how fast the young guys develop versus the Sedins decline.  

In 2 years we could have a roster with the Sedins, Sutter, an entering their prime Horvat/Baertschi, an emergent Virtanen and some young wild card studs in DuBois/Tkachuk and Boeser.  (Plus maybe an above average FA).  That forward group gets the imagination going with big, fast, talented young forwards taking the reigns from the Twins who could very well still be productive. 

D could feature some improvement out of Tanev/Edler/Hutton/Gudbranson/Tryamkin without any real age related drop off.  

G would be a nice duo in Markstrom and Demko.

Without a Burns/Doughty/Letang/Keith etc on the back end it's a big stretch to call them contenders.  Could be a fun team to watch, though.

If we miss that bubble 3-5 years is on the optimistic side barring JB hitting some home runs (or winning the draft lotto).

Honeslty it probably won't happen for another 15 years.   That seems to be the trend of this team, a final appearance every 20 years, but given the parity the cap brings now we have a decent chance of going deep with some of the current players before that.   Would be great if it happens but not holding my breath.

1 hour ago, NavyCanuck341 said:

Hey guys, first post on CDC.

Just curious as to how long you guys think it will take until the Canucks are a legitimate competitor for the cup? or very lease a deep playoff push? Personally, I believe that we squeak into the playoffs next year, maybe even a chance at top 3 in the division. With a healthy team, and also the defensive upgrades we have made so far, I don't see it being outside of the realm of possibility. Give or take the Nucks 3-5 years to be a legit threat in the league like we once were.

My take? If the team tries for the short term approach, longer than 10 years. Which would murder our current young talent in terms of being useful assets to a cup winning Canucks. They will end up being the guys we trade away to begin a rebuild, instead of the players we rebuild around.

EDIT:

This thread will at least give me a laugh, I'll get to see the delusions of CDC on display once again.

Next season, Sutter is 27, he's the oldest of the new group.  The youngest will be drafted this year, 18.  And Horvat will be 21.

The earliest imo is 4 years.  Sutter will be 31, this years draft will be 22 and Horvat will be entering his prime at 25.  Edler will be 34, Tanev 30, Gudbranson 28, Hutton 26.

All this depends on whether the players above develop as well as we all hope.

Next couple years, our goal will just be in trying to make the playoffs, forget serious contenders for the Cup.

Perhaps by 2018-2019, if our prospects develop the way we hope they will, we'll start making the playoffs and not just squeaking in, or barely/badly missing them.

Actual contenders? Honestly, the earliest I see is  2019-2020 and that's if so many different things fall into place:

Demko pans out and becomes a true #1 or Franchise goalie

All of our young prospects reach their promise - Horvat/Boeser/Virtanen/#5 ovr pick/Hutton etc;

We have at least one surprise prospect that surpasses all expectations of him

Don't do stupid trades to help the team here and now in the next couple of years

Would be great if we can land a top pairing defenseman, either via trade or FA, or if lo and behold a miracle happens and one of our prospects develops into one.

Outside of all, if not most of that transpiring, then at least 5+ years to be considered a real threat to win Lord's Stanley's Grail.

What is your definition of a contender?  How many contenders are there each year?  Were Sharks considered contenders?  Most had them getting knocked out to LA in the first round, yet hear they are in the stanley cup finals.  

Canucks will be a playoff team in 2 years....We might even make a wild card spot next year depending on injuries and player development.   

This question requires a fan who has been there from the beginning.  Luckily that's me. Ok. 1970 to 1982  was pretty dismal.  82 was a surprise but a very welcome first trip to the scf  for the team.

Then12 years to 94. A very legit shot that year losing in 7 to the nyr who were presidents cup winners that year. After that the naslund team came close but blew a 3 to 1 series lead in minny or would have advanced to the conf final at a minimum. Then 2011 which everyone knows. 

So it's not 20 years between contending teams. It's 7 to 12. 

Next window is 2018 to 2023. Luck and the hockey gods allowed. 

Love the passion of the young fans. You guys will get your reward.

Welcome to CDC 4 to 5 years minium.

Reason being?

1. Inter divisional competition.  We'll see the wane of teams like LA and San Jose with the consistency of Anaheim with their core and youth/depth of youth as well as the rise of Edmonton and Calgary before we can truly compete again
  2. Depth, we have none.  We start stockpiling prospects and they get traded to bridge that imaginary age gap of 21-26 that we don't have.  Imaginary in the sense that apparently we either don't have time or belief that our youth can do it surrounded by our vets.
  3. Depth again, meaning we don't have the prospects ready to enter the system, take over for the twins or skilled depth to be able o justify saying hell yes we can do this even if we lose a top 6 player or a top 4 D man

There's numerous reason 4-5 years is a justifiable timeline no matter what people want to believe.  1 or 2 more years of top 10 picks, 2 or 3 years of lottery or just outside of lottery picks, the decline and demotion of the twins and the hopeful rise and identification of a new core.

Archived