The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

22 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

I think a lot of #2 dmen are on the 2nd pairing.  The coaches like to spread them around and have different matchups.  I agree that we have too many lefties(tryamkin, Utunen, Brisebois, Hutton, Pouliot).  I do believe though in 2-3 years, OJ will have many nights where he logs the most icetime and others where he is 2nd.

Yeah, that is a good point, just like how some forwards get spread out for offence too. I have high hopes for Juolevi, I hope he proves a lot of people wrong who were quick to judge him. I think he'll will make us see Benning had the right idea taking him. 

• Upvote 2

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 5:42 AM, SamJamIam said:

Completely agree. I really just wanted to use the old PITB jab of overvaluing guys like Makar because he looks cooler while performing to the same level.

I think people just don't get Finns and Swedes in general.  Guys like Pettersson & Dahlen are thought of as shy when they're just classically reserved like every Swede.  Guys like Olli get called cold or disinterested but Finns in sports often get that critique.  Kimi Raikkonen was known as the Ice Man but he was one hell of a passionate guy about his sport.  Olli is in the same vein albeit he's clarly less of a dick than Kimi was, but that's F1 for you.

To be fair; guys get very excited about the cannon of a shot, blistering speed & agility in Makar. Raw athleticism OJ has been working on in his development program. Funny thing though?

His first year in college, he did not demonstrate the puck composure & more reserved, nonetheless command of the game Juolevi displays. Puck composure, especially if you have it in all three zones, is very under rated? Makar needs to work on Juolevi's strengths in his program...  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

To be fair; guys get very excited about the cannon of a shot, blistering speed & agility in Makar. Raw athleticism OJ has been working on in his development program. Funny thing though?

His first year in college, he did not demonstrate the puck composure & more reserved, nonetheless command of the game Juolevi displays. Puck composure, especially if you have it in all three zones, is very under rated? Makar needs to work on Juolevi's strengths in his program...  

Juiolevi is showing why he’s better than Makar.  I’m still stunned Colorado chose a guy from the AJHL so high.  He played against very poor competition, and it’s showing now he’s in college.  Olli will be a star for us.  :towel:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

Drafting Hughes might be the best thing that's happened to Juolevi.

Since Draft Day all eyes have been on Quinn and a lot of the attention taken off Olli.

But, is this the year Juolevi needs to take that next step? Is it finally going to be his time to play NHL hockey? I understand he recently (months ago) had back surgery, but I've heard it wasn't as serious an injury as Boeser's. I would think this back issue will be irrelevant by early October. It will be for Boeser, that's for sure.

I wonder about Juolevi's desire to play in the NHL. Every time I see an interview with a prospect, they're always so hungry to make the team, saying they'll do what they have to do in the off season to make the team, and that playing in the NHL has always been a life long dream. I don't get that sense from Juolevi. He's very quiet, shy, and maybe he's dealing with a lack of confidence?

• Upvote 1

On 06/08/2018 at 5:28 PM, Alflives said:

Juiolevi is showing why he’s better than Makar.  I’m still stunned Colorado chose a guy from the AJHL so high.  He played against very poor competition, and it’s showing now he’s in college.  Olli will be a star for us.  :towel:

Where do you get this stuff, Alf?  Maker had a great season with Amherst and was fabulous in the WJC tourney.  Whatever he does has no bearing on Olli.  Both guys will be terrific.

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Where do you get this stuff, Alf?  Maker had a great season with Amherst and was fabulous in the WJC tourney.  Whatever he does has no bearing on Olli.  Both guys will be terrific.

He gave his account log-in information to Apollo

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Usually from a combination of green and blue Kool-Aid, medication, and alcohol.  :towel:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I wonder about Juolevi's desire to play in the NHL. Every time I see an interview with a prospect, they're always so hungry to make the team, saying they'll do what they have to do in the off season to make the team, and that playing in the NHL has always been a life long dream. I don't get that sense from Juolevi. He's very quiet, shy, and maybe he's dealing with a lack of confidence?

More like...

image.png.fd3df2542373aee51d642586bd7b0977.png

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

On 08/08/2018 at 10:56 PM, higgyfan said:

Alf is a legend in his own treatment room.

• Haha 2

Sami Salo played his first full season (and first NHL games) in his draft +3 year.  Here's hoping Juolevi does the same.  Note that Juolevi had a very good playoff campaign for Jokerit at the end of the season (2g, 5a, 7p in 11 games and +5).

Edited by RogersTowell
  • Upvote 1

On 08/08/2018 at 1:09 PM, NUCKER67 said:

Drafting Hughes might be the best thing that's happened to Juolevi.

Since Draft Day all eyes have been on Quinn and a lot of the attention taken off Olli.

But, is this the year Juolevi needs to take that next step? Is it finally going to be his time to play NHL hockey? I understand he recently (months ago) had back surgery, but I've heard it wasn't as serious an injury as Boeser's. I would think this back issue will be irrelevant by early October. It will be for Boeser, that's for sure.

Good point on taking the heat off JO after drafting Hughes. I dont think JO's quiet demeanor should be confused with anything. It's a Finnish thing and Salo was the same way. JO will be a great player for the Canucks once he settles into the NHL game. Once he gets his confidence he has all the tools and will be just fine. 

Please help me try to understand....i just don't get it! Why is everyone so keen to see him suit up for the big club? So many people on these forums are so quick to bitch and moan he was the wrong pick....

The Canucks don't need immediate help , lets be honest the defence is somewhat of a tire fire. If you throw kids just learning their craft into that mess and expect Norris candidates to rise out of the ashes you are deluded. If those same prospects fail then the horrible word BUST starts getting thrown around.

Its my opinion that OJ has been given every opportunity to learn how to be an NHL player by the Canucks management, and if it takes 1 or even 2 more years before he plays for the Canucks then its what is required for him to be the best player he can possible be.

Edited by canuckpuckluck15
  • Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, canuckpuckluck15 said:

Please help me try to understand....i just don't get it! Why is everyone so keen to see him suit up for the big club? So many people on these forums are so quick to bitch and moan he was the wrong pick....

The Canucks don't need immediate help , lets be honest the defence is somewhat of a tire fire. If you throw kids just learning their craft into that mess and expect Norris candidates to rise out of the ashes you are deluded. If those same prospects fail then the horrible word BUST starts getting thrown around.

Its my opinion that OJ has been given every opportunity to learn how to be an NHL player by the Canucks management, and if it takes 1 or even 2 more years before he plays for the Canucks then its what is required for him to be the best player he can possible be.

I think most people see Olli going to Utica until he is ready for a call up.  Once the coach has live proof that he is NHL ready, he will get his opportunity.  Fans have changed their tune about him since Salo suggested that he is NHL ready this season.  I am hoping that he gets a call up later in the season and can join the team after TD.

Edited by higgyfan
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, canuckpuckluck15 said:

Can't speak for others, but I want OJ to come to camp and dominate. If he can't out play Pouliot, Hutton ( or MDZ ), he must go to Utica, but if he dominates and earns a top 4 spot......yay !

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I think most people see Olli going to Utica until he is ready for a call up.  Once the coach has live proof that he is NHL ready, he will get his opportunity.  Fans have changed their tune about him since Salo suggested that he is NHL ready this season.  I am hoping that he gets a call up later in the season and can join the team after TD.

IMHO The AHL (aka The Jungle) would be worse for Juolevi than SM-Liiga. 

He had an amazing year there and is being mentored by Sami Salo. One more year there wouldn't hurt.

And trust me, I was in Finland for most of his season. If it wasn't for Heiskanen, he would be getting much more media coverage 

32 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Can't speak for others, but I want OJ to come to camp and dominate. If he can't out play Pouliot, Hutton ( or MDZ ), he must go to Utica, but if he dominates and earns a top 4 spot......yay !

3rd pairing would be just fine if he makes the NHL. Still prefer he spend half a year in Utica. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Boudrias said:

3rd pairing would be just fine if he makes the NHL. Still prefer he spend half a year in Utica. 

If OJ is good enough right out of camp and preseason to be in our top six, then he should be on the team.  That means we are getting better.  (I see him in Utica too, especially when he’s coming of the back surgery.)