The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Pretty sure before the knee injury that the plan was to have him up here after Christmas (likely taking Pouliot's minutes). The knee injury kind of derailed that plan. 

I'd imagine next year will be not dissimilar though rather than after Christmas, they're likely hoping for Nov-Dec'ish after he gets back up to speed with a month or two in Utica (performance dependent obviously). Or if he's slow getting back up to speed, after Christmas/towards the TDL.

Nobody's suggesting waiting another 2-3 years for OJ (assuming he can get/stay healthy).

And for the record, there's plenty for him to learn in Utica, particularly adjusting to that levels speed, size of opponents etc. Then he'll have to go through that process here again. And it's silly to think that just because Boeser et al are 'developing here' that the more difficult position is just a walk on as well.

First, those guys did have additional development elsewhere (Boeser in college, Pettersson in SHL). Second, that's not the 'norm', the vast majority of players require some development time in the AHL (or otherwise). Third, it's a more difficult position to learn and play. Fourth, OJ was always scouted as needing more development time.

Have a little patience.

I don't buy into the waiting game for defencemen anymore. The league is changing. Chabot, Dumba, Rielly, Ristolainen, Werenski, Jones, Nurse, Hanifin, Trouba, Heiskanen, etc etc. All these guys have/had spent maybe 1 season in the minors and hit ground running to the NHL. Their development came in the NHL.

I'm not sure anyone can objectively say what defines 'readiness' to play in the NHL anymore. The only thing holding young players back is antiquated thinking that some kind of developmental light bulb needs to light up before they are deemed ready. Yes, his career path could get ruined in the NHL, but it could just easily get derailed by never getting a chance to show your stuff at the top level.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

I don't buy into the waiting game for defencemen anymore. The league is changing. Chabot, Dumba, Rielly, Ristolainen, Werenski, Jones, Nurse, Hanifin, Trouba, Heiskanen, etc etc. All these guys have/had spent maybe 1 season in the minors and hit ground running to the NHL. Their development came in the NHL.

I'm not sure anyone can objectively say what defines 'readiness' to play in the NHL anymore. The only thing holding young players back is antiquated thinking that some kind of developmental light bulb needs to light up before they are deemed ready. Yes, his career path could get ruined in the NHL, but it could just easily get derailed by never getting a chance to show your stuff at the top level.

Chabot's a great example.

Basically the same timeline/trajectory as Juolevi (he was drafted the year prior to OJ) but OJ unfortunately had a knee injury this season where we would have likely seen him play a split AHL/NHL season as Chabot did.

You're being ridiculous.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Chabot's a great example.

Basically the same timeline/trajectory as Juolevi (he was drafted the year prior to OJ) but OJ unfortunately had a knee injury this season where we would have likely seen him play a split AHL/NHL season as Chabot did.

You're being ridiculous.

No I am not. I don't exactly call 13 games in the AHL for Chabot as a ton of seasoning and learning the professional game that Chabot needed to make the transition as good as he has.

All I am doing is offering a different perspective without making outlandish claims. They could easily come into the lineup and flop like many others have on their teams.

1 minute ago, RonMexico said:

No I am not. I don't exactly call 13 games in the AHL for Chabot as a ton of seasoning and learning the professional game that Chabot needed to make the transition as good as he has.

All I am doing is offering a different perspective without making outlandish claims. They could easily come into the lineup and flop like many others have on their teams.

Juolevi would have likely played 20-25'ish if not for his injury. Different teams, different situations.

You're splitting hairs and being ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Juolevi would have likely played 20-25'ish if not for his injury. Different teams, different situations.

You're splitting hairs and being ridiculous.

Or he could have played 75-80 with the big club right out of training camp and avoided the injury that is costing him a chance to prove himself at the NHL level.

1 hour ago, cyoung said:

Dude...you are being so ridiculous. He could of got injured in the NHL, or sm liiga, ohl, ahl ...it can happen anywhere lol. Almost all the players you named spent some time in the ahl, much like juolevi.....

On top of that I've read this injury has affected him for the last 2 years or so. And they just finally decided to remedy it once and for all. 

2 minutes ago, WonderTwinPowers said:

On top of that I've read this injury has affected him for the last 2 years or so. And they just finally decided to remedy it once and for all. 

Does anyone know if its the same knee he had his previous surgery on?

10 hours ago, RonMexico said:

I didn't mean for him to play injured.

I want him and Hughes to develop with the players that are in the lineup as soon as possible. What is the point of waiting for 2-3 more years for them to 'develop' to possibly to find out they are topping out at 5th or 6th defencemen. Let them develop with the players they are going to be playing with over the next 10 years. It would be different if Boeser, Horvat and Petterson were developing their game in the minors with them but they aren't. They are learning the NHL ropes with the big club...so it's ok for forwards to do it but not defencemen?

THAT makes sense.   What you wrote before didn't to me....apologizes for not getting it the first time.:)

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Ryan Johnson on Olli Joulevi:

“He is doing great and everything is on track. As a organization we miss him a lot. He was off to a great start this year and his development path was on course. He is rehabbing in Vancouver and we will keep building that knee so he is ready for next year.”

As good of news as we can ask for at this point. My hope is that he'll have a full summer of training so he wont be behind the ball physically. Bottom line is that he needs to start playing games asap. 

56 games over 2 seasons is not good for anyone.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

As good of news as we can ask for at this point. My hope is that he'll have a full summer of training so he wont be behind the ball physically. Bottom line is that he needs to start playing games asap. 

56 games over 2 seasons is not good for anyone.

Yeah that kid needs reps and play time, like yuuge.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, MickVega said:

If Oli hadn’t been injured there is a good chance with the Canuck’s injury situation that he’d be playing Top 4 or at least given the opportunity. It would have been nice to have had a better understanding of the defense going forward but, you know, Canuck luck. 

I think he would have seized the opportunity and we’d see why he was drafted where he was. 

Totally agree.  We will see OJ in our top four by Christmas 2019.  Both him and Hughes will be here, and playing big minutes for us next fall.  I see a future top 4 of:

EK and OJ

Hughes and Tryamkin

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Alflives said:

Totally agree.  We will see OJ in our top four by Christmas 2019.  Both him and Hughes will be here, and playing big minutes for us next fall.  I see a future top 4 of:

EK and OJ

Hughes and Tryamkin

Sorry Alf your dreams are butting up against reality. I doubt the Swedish mafia in Van is strong enough to draw EK in. :)  If Hughes and Joulevi can play regular minutes next year at whatever pairing I am ecstatic.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Alflives said:

EK and OJ

Hughes and Tryamkin

That would be great...but really with Stetcher and Hutton making such big strides I expect this to be our top 4 by Xmas;

Hutton / Stecher

Joulevi / Hughes

Edler / Tanev

Guddy

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

That would be great...but really with Stetcher and Hutton making such big strides I expect this to be our top 4 by Xmas;

Hutton / Stecher

Joulevi / Hughes

Edler / Tanev

Guddy

I see. So neither Juolevi (correct spelling) nor Hughes have ever gotten close to playing a game in the NHL.

But YOU think they will both be top 4 defenders in the NHL by Christmas 2019??

Another silly outrageous claim!!  

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1