The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

Juolevi will need time to adjust to the NHL. Most defencemen need time, very few break out at 18 or 19. OEL is a good comparison to Juolevi. He went 6th overall and then went back to Sweden for a year. He then played parts of the following year in the AHL and then again as a 21 year old played 20 games in the AHL. He didn't have his breakthrough season until he was 22. 

I am hoping Juolevi can jump right in next year and be a part of this team. Even as a 7th D I think he would learn more than going back to junior.  We'll see what happens. But he is progressing nicely right now. Yes Tkachuk looks great but he is a winger and is simply playing his game. He is much stronger as an 18 year old than Juolevi so he has fit right in with the younger players in Calgary. Juolevi still has to get stronger. His hockey IQ is off the charts and he is a very good skater and is tall at 6'3". So he has the prototypical size and hockey sense and skating to be a top pairing D. All he is missing is the strength which will come with age. Remember guys like Hutton, Stecher and Tryamkin are all in their early 20's so they have a large age gap from Juolevi and all three are just starting to break out now. 

Given what I have seen up until today I think I'd still take Juolevi over Tkachuk and probably take him over PLD as well. Pool Party would be a toss up. But at the very least I think Juolevi was the 4th best player in last year's draft and has all the characteristics of a true #1 defenceman. 

Edited by Harvey Spector
  • Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

Juolevi will need time to adjust to the NHL. Most defencemen need time, very few break out at 18 or 19. OEL is a good comparison to Juolevi. He went 6th overall and then went back to Sweden for a year. He then played parts of the following year in the AHL and then again as a 21 year old played 20 games in the AHL. He didn't have his breakthrough season until he was 22. 

I am hoping Juolevi can jump right in next year and be a part of this team. Even as a 7th D I think he would learn more than going back to junior.  We'll see what happens. But he is progressing nicely right now. Yes Tkachuk looks great but he is a winger and is simply playing his game. He is much stronger as an 18 year old than Juolevi so he has fit right in with the younger players in Calgary. Juolevi still has to get stronger. His hockey IQ is off the charts and he is a very good skater and is tall at 6'3". So he has the prototypical size and hockey sense and skating to be a top pairing D. All he is missing is the strength which will come with age. Remember guys like Hutton, Stecher and Tryamkin are all in their early 20's so they have a large age gap from Juolevi and all three are just starting to break out now. 

Given what I have seen up until today I think I'd still take Juolevi over Tkachuk and probably take him over PLD as well. Pool Party would be a toss up. But at the very least I think Juolevi was the 4th best player in last year's draft and has all the characteristics of a true #1 defenceman. 

You're pretty optimistic there champ. I'll have whatever weird stuff you're smoking.

9 hours ago, Horvats_Big_Head said:

You're pretty optimistic there champ. I'll have whatever weird stuff you're smoking.

He gave a good example, maybe he should go back to juniors if he's not ready but would be happy for him to make the team. He has the skill set to be a top 10 pick. Why is optimism such a bad thing? Insight us with your wisdom.

11 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

To put it simply, if Tkachuk makes a mistake, it's probably a harmless giveaway, if a young dman makes a mistake it often ends up in the back of the net........that's the primary reason it's much much much easier for a teenager to play in the NHL as a winger than as a dman

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, stawns said:

To put it simply, if Tkachuk makes a mistake, it's probably a harmless giveaway, if a young dman makes a mistake it often ends up in the back of the net........that's the primary reason it's much much much easier for a teenager to play in the NHL as a winger than as a dman

But that young winger in Winnipeg has about 3 own goals

On January 19, 2017 at 9:56 AM, hyper00 said:

He gave a good example, maybe he should go back to juniors if he's not ready but would be happy for him to make the team. He has the skill set to be a top 10 pick. Why is optimism such a bad thing? Insight us with your wisdom.

He just did. Afraid that's about as wise as Fat_Head gets.

Again the Knights put up 7+ goals and Juolevi doesn't show up on the score sheet.

I'm not even sure how that happens. A game like this he should have at least 2 points if he's being played prime minutes. Meanwhile their new acquisition Vande Sompel is having a 3 point game.

I guess he's getting Juolevi's prime minutes now.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Again the Knights put up 7+ goals and Juolevi doesn't show up on the score sheet.

I'm not even sure how that happens. A game like this he should have at least 2 points if he's being played prime minutes. Meanwhile their new acquisition Vande Sompel is having a 3 point game.

I guess he's getting Juolevi's prime minutes now.

Ah, just in time to complain again. Where were you when he was putting up points the last few games and improving his PPG? 

You're right though- based off this one game, it's clear that Vande Sompel will be the superior NHL player.

• Upvote 4

Just now, Sean Monahan said:

Ah, just in time to complain again. Where were you when he was putting up points the last few games and improving his PPG? 

You're right though- based off this one game, it's clear that Vande Sompel will be the superior NHL player.

Wow, way to exaggerate what I was saying completely.

Just pointing out that there's been 4 games this season that the Knights scored 7 or more and Juolevi had 0's across his stat line. That surprising to me when you consider the minutes he normally gets. Just wondering if Vande Sompel is getting some of his prime minutes.

But go ahead and whine about my "whining".