The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

Just went down memory lane watching the intermission of this game.

Arron Asham is from portage la prairie huh, Been a long time since I drove thru there. This interview reminds me of my life about two decades ago. I regularly drove around Canada, I've stayed the night in or driven thru most of the small towns between Vancouver and Hamilton Ontario and sometimes to Montreal. Most of them you miss if you blink. being a huge hockey fan i would always take notice of which NHLer came from the town I was driving thru or sleeping in any given night. 

Anyways, back on topic, OJ in the AHL next year would be great for his development. Lets home he's not rushed like Virtanen and McCann were. OJ needs at least 1 year to get him ready for the NHL. I'd even leave him for 1.5 years in the AHL until he's overripe before bringing him up to the NHL. 

Just tuned into the game. About 7 minutes into the 2nd period London leading Windsor 1-0. Shots 20-9 London. Game is very scrappy right now holy!

EDIT: Juolvei just scored on the PP. Uncovered in the slot, wrist shot snipe top cheddar glove side.

Edited by Blömqvist

Will be interesting to see what happens to OJ next year. He's not eligible for the AHL, so it's either the NHL or back to London for a third year. I think mentally, he is capable of play sheltered minutes here next year, but I'm not sold on him physically yet. If he can become stronger (to his credit, he has worked on that this year), and improve his first step. 

13 minutes ago, Kaner said:

Will be interesting to see what happens to OJ next year. He's not eligible for the AHL, so it's either the NHL or back to London for a third year. I think mentally, he is capable of play sheltered minutes here next year, but I'm not sold on him physically yet. If he can become stronger (to his credit, he has worked on that this year), and improve his first step. 

Ya a lot will depend on this summer, he barely can outmuscle guys right now in Junior. Going to need to put on 15+ pounds this summer or he'll be getting manhandled in the NHL.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Ya a lot will depend on this summer, he barely can outmuscle guys right now in Junior. Going to need to put on 15+ pounds this summer or he'll be getting manhandled in the NHL.

Can't do a Virtanen though, and put on too much weight too quickly.  If it takes Olli two or three years to mature the muscle he needs, so be it.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Can't do a Virtanen though, and put on too much weight too quickly.  If it takes Olli two or three years to mature the muscle he needs, so be it.

True enough. Most athletes understand that adding weight should be in muscle not just get big for the sake of getting big. I don't see the need to rush Juolevi, but playing another year in Junior would suck for him as from the sounds of it he was pretty bored this year, now that playoffs are here he's getting engaged. I'd vote for him to go play in a mens league in Europe for the best progression. AHL would be perfect but thats not going to happen

1 minute ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

True enough. Most athletes understand that adding weight should be in muscle not just get big for the sake of getting big. I don't see the need to rush Juolevi, but playing another year in Junior would suck for him as from the sounds of it he was pretty bored this year, now that playoffs are here he's getting engaged. I'd vote for him to go play in a mens league in Europe for the best progression. AHL would be perfect but thats not going to happen

Yup, the Swiss league looked to help Matthews.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

I don't consider 2 years of OHL hockey to much. IMHO he does not looked bored. Another year in London under the equivalent of very good NHL coaching will prep him more for the NHL than going to Euroland which is always suspect IMO. The biggest issue with Joulevi is putting on weight.

18 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Putting on weight is harder than it sounds. (I admit it is not hard for me. All I have to do is eat as much as I want.) It has to be the right kind of weight.

And it is not just a matter of adding muscle. Adding upper body muscle adds weight without adding skating power and slows players down. It also raises the center of gravity and makes guys less stable on their skates.  Bulking up (with muscle) did not help Virtanen and the same is true with a lot of guys.

The best additional weight comes from natural growth, especially growth in the lower body -- more muscle and increasing bone mass and bone density. That happens naturally in late teens and early 20s, and can be helped with lower body weight training, diet, sleep, etc. And, as lower body strength increases it can of course be balanced with upper body weight gain.

Some young guys, like Juolevi, are just slim to start with (at the draft) and can usually benefit by adding 5 to 10 pounds of upper body muscle. But it is important not to overdo upper body weight training.

• Upvote 2

Just now, JamesB said:

Putting on weight is harder than it sounds. (I admit it is not hard for me. All I have to do is eat as much as I want.) It has to be the right kind of weight.

And it is not just a matter of adding muscle. Adding upper body muscle adds weight without adding skating power and slows players down. It also raises the center of gravity and makes guys less stable on their skates.  Bulking up (with muscle) did not help Virtanen and the same is true with a lot of guys.

The best additional weight comes from natural growth, especially growth in the lower body -- more muscle and increasing bone mass and bone density. That happens naturally in late teens and early 20s, and can be helped with lower body weight training, diet, sleep, etc. And, as lower body strength increases it can of course be balanced with upper body weight gain.

Some young guys, like Juolevi, are just slim to start with (at the draft) and can usually benefit by adding 5 to 10 pounds of upper body muscle. But it is important not to overdo upper body weight training.

Very true. Not much talk about Hutton putting on 15 pounds going into the season. I think it has helped his physical battle and his skating speed still looks good. IMO Hutton will benefit from this season and come back strong next year.