The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

I think Olli will be a great dman for the Canucks. 

He may not be playing in the NHL as of right now, but when it comes to drafting, gotta look long term with prospects. 

Defense wins championships, and Benning is making the right play by building from the net out. Demko looks very promising as our goaltender of the future (franchise goaltender); Tryamkin, Stetcher, Juolevi - these are good players, and they're young, but they're not necessarily elite (i.e Doughty level, maybe even Dahlin level). 

Forwards - accumulating some good prospects and young players (i.e Goldy, Boeser, Horvat, Baer, etc), but none of them are considered "elite" just yet. Some of them might grow into very good players, but none of them are game breakers, like a Crosby, McDavid, Ovie, etc. I'm thinking over the next two years, we will probably accumulate a few more elite prospects in our cupboard. One of Minny's top prospects is Ek and he was picked #20 overall in the first round. So don't have to have a top three pick to draft elite talent. They can be found in the later rounds or later in the first round even. With that being said, having a top three pick certainly helps. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Edler-Stecher

Juolevi-Gudbranson

Hutton-Tryamkin

Tanev for a top 6 younger fwd

I can see Benning attempting to trade Tanev for a good top six forward for sure. Kane? haha 

His name keeps coming up. E Kane. 

32 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Sbisa and Guddy play different sides though... so Tryamkin would move to the left side?

Just now, Outsiders said:

Edler-Stecher

Juolevi-Gudbranson

Hutton-Tryamkin

Tanev for a top 6 younger fwd

Tryamkin is a natural LD and will probably be more effective and develop more there. Trade Hutton and edler(preferably) or tanev before the deadline.

Sbisa-Tanev

Tryamkin-Stetcher

Juolevi-Gudbranson

Younger, stronger and more offensively capable. Don't really want to see Hutton go, but with other prospects knocking on the door soon that are similar calibre I'll be happy with another offensive prospect.

Pedan-McEneny

Subban-Brisebois

etc.

1 hour ago, darinbadershouldamadeit said:

Deniro, you are showing that you are more the pansy Deniro from "The Intern" and not the Bad-A$$ Deniro from The Godfather or Goodfellas, or even the tough old Deniro from the "Meet the Fockers" movies. The kid is making room for himself and his teamates everytime  he is nasty and snarly. In no way shape or form is he creating a "bad rep".  He doesn't back down and he is what we need, meaness and skill, it's a good combo. Try and not be so neutered....

deniro the intern.jpg

people want a gritty, aggressive, skilled forward like tkachuk so we drafted Virtanen in 2014. Virtanen has a similar profile, yet people complain we didn't draft ehlers or nylander because we needed skill

now we have virtanen in the system and people are whining that we didn't take tkachuk because they want grit, aggressive, skilled forwards

makes my head spin, sh*t sometimes doesn't work out and whilst it's inexcusable to miss on 2 top 6 picks both those picks were reasonable picks to take based on need of the team.

course when I say its inexcusable it's been less than a year for juolevi!! Even for Jake it's early to judge.

In the end a career is defined by all of the years they go through in the NHL not just the first 1/2 seasons lol.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I can see Benning attempting to trade Tanev for a good top six forward for sure. Kane? haha 

His name keeps coming up. E Kane. 

Kane is UFA after next (or is it the following one?) season if I recall. If we want to bring him home, that's when we do it.

For free. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, darinbadershouldamadeit said:

Deniro, you are showing that you are more the pansy Deniro from "The Intern" and not the Bad-A$$ Deniro from The Godfather or Goodfellas, or even the tough old Deniro from the "Meet the Fockers" movies. The kid is making room for himself and his teamates everytime  he is nasty and snarly. In no way shape or form is he creating a "bad rep".  He doesn't back down and he is what we need, meaness and skill, it's a good combo. Try and not be so neutered....

Not creating a bad rep?  Lets see, in his brief career - not even through one season yet - he has slew footed a guy and put him out of action for months, headbutted a guy, slew footed another guy, elbowed 2 guys to the head - one of which got him suspended for two games.  So the $hit hits the fan yesterday when they played a big strong experienced team that has won stanley cups.  What does chucky do?  Decides to make a side show of things, gets trolled into a penalty, loses a fight, and continuously goes after the other team's best player..... and guess what ....the Calgary Flames lose.  I wonder why? Could it be the side show was a distraction?   It sorta reminded me of the "tough guy", "we wont be intimidated" show that Ben Eager put on when we played the sharks in 2011.  That worked out well for them.

And speaking of making room for himself and his team mates - when he is at his little punk best, the game likely goes to the gutter like it did last night.  Guess what, their top line that consists of 157lb hockey boy, and soft as butter Monahan tend to disappear in games like that.  

I dont understand the obsession with this guy.  He is a good top 6 winger that has Downie/Marchand acting out issues.  Hes got a whole 13 goals playing on a line with Backlund (probably the flames most complete player) and gets  the puck fed to his line by one of the best puck moving D pairs in the league.  13 goals - its not like they passed up on a Mathews(35 goals)/Laine(34 goals) talent.  You know who else had 16 goals playing on a line with Backlund?  Lance Bouma.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Darius71 said:

Not creating a bad rep?  Lets see, in his brief career - not even through one season yet - he has slew footed a guy and put him out of action for months, headbutted a guy, slew footed another guy, elbowed 2 guys to the head - one of which got him suspended for two games.  So the $hit hits the fan yesterday when they played a big strong experienced team that has won stanley cups.  What does chucky do?  Decides to make a side show of things, gets trolled into a penalty, loses a fight, and continuously goes after the other team's best player..... and guess what ....the Calgary Flames lose.  I wonder why? Could it be the side show was a distraction?   It sorta reminded me of the "tough guy", "we wont be intimidated" show that Ben Eager put on when we played the sharks in 2011.  That worked out well for them.

And speaking of making room for himself and his team mates - when he is at his little punk best, the game likely goes to the gutter like it did last night.  Guess what, their top line that consists of 157lb hockey boy, and soft as butter Monahan tend to disappear in games like that.  

I dont understand the obsession with this guy.  He is a good top 6 winger that has Downie/Marchand acting out issues.  Hes got a whole 13 goals playing on a line with Backlund (probably the flames most complete player) and gets  the puck fed to his line by one of the best puck moving D pairs in the league.  13 goals - its not like they passed up on a Mathews(35 goals)/Laine(34 goals) talent.  You know who else had 16 goals playing on a line with Backlund?  Lance Bouma.

your lips are flapping but all, I hear is "Top Six Winger who gets under your skin" and he definitely has gotten under your skin, so, its working... And unlike Marchand, Tkachuk is tough, can fight, and won't be intimidated.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, darinbadershouldamadeit said:

your lips are flapping but all, I hear is "Top Six Winger who gets under your skin" and he definitely has gotten under your skin, so, its working... And unlike Marchand, Tkachuk is tough, can fight, and won't be intimidated.

Good for him! Enjoy cheering him on. You made the point that he is not getting a bad rep, thats BS of course.

Edited by Darius71
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, darinbadershouldamadeit said:

There's a difference between playing tough and playing dirty. Get a rule book. ;)

Tkachuk is looking more like Matt Cooke than anything resembling a gritty powerforward.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 4