The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

45 minutes ago, khay said:

Good point. But I disagree with the bolded. My guess is that those people that have complained about Nichuskin vs Horvat have now moved on to complain about Tkachuk vs Juolevi. Those people are never going to stop talking. Once Juolevi makes the team and does well, they will move on to 2017 draft pick, say we choose a player who doesn't make the team right away and a later pick does, and it will start all over again. Such is the life cycle at the Canucks fan forum.

Some people will never truly be satisfied sadly

37 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Vilardi should be our pick this draft. He's an amazing prospect and reminds me of Horvat.

no question Vilardi is the guy we select and yes he is like Horvat. both have similar numbers during their respective times. both love to hunt for loose pucks and both play each shift as if their is 5 seconds left in the game and we need a tying goal. hopefully he is still available when its our turn to pick

• Upvote 1

Juolevi in the AHL would be an interesting idea... there is definitely room on defense for him to sneak into a couple games down the stretch. McEneny, Subban, Robak and Billins are all mainstays but after that there's some space. Shields and Pedan have been in and out of the lineup and Nilsson is a regular scratch; Sautner has stayed in the lineup for the most part but Juolevi can probably bring more than he can. They also just got Negrin back from injury but he falls into a similar category with Sautner, he can play decently enough to hold his own but doesn't contribute a lot. Since its still NHL or junior for him next season, it'd be a good opportunity to see him play pro hockey for a few weeks.

25 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

nah, I'm thinking Benning fast tracks him here for the last 5 games

Well they said he wasn't strong enough for the NHL in preseason. Not sure he's gotten a whole lot stronger yet.

I think he'd be more suited for the AHL level right now. We'll see if Benning is motivated to try and sell his young prospects to fans to end the season though.

33 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

nah, I'm thinking Benning fast tracks him here for the last 5 games

This is a joke, right. (Except I am worried that Benning is desparate enough to try it.)

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well they said he wasn't strong enough for the NHL in preseason. Not sure he's gotten a whole lot stronger yet.

I think he'd be more suited for the AHL level right now. We'll see if Benning is motivated to try and sell his young prospects to fans to end the season though.

The AHL is not as crazy as the NHL for Juolevi, but still does not make sense. I have not seen a lot of Juolevi but have seen the one televised playoff game, a regular season televised game, some highlights and the WJC. He was in no way a standout in anything I have seen. And of course his numbers this year are almost identical to last year (actually slightly worse). And he is not among the six finalists at the top D in the OHL this year (despite being the top player drafted from the OHL last year). I am not trying to re-argue whether he was the right pick last year (although I am in the camp that believes he was the wrong pick).

I am trying to argue that if he plays pro at the end of the season it is just a desperate attempt so tell some season tickets in what so far has apparently been a very disappointing result (which is hardly surprising given the Canucks are probably even worse this year than they were last year). He has in no way earned a legitimate shot on the Canucks to end the season or even to play in Utica.

After being on teams that won the WJC and the Memorial Cup last year, Juolevi was supposed to take leadership positions on those teams this year. Finland was embarrassingly bad at the WJC and if London loses in the first round of the playoffs in the OHL that will be another embarrassing result. 

In any case, London is not eliminated yet. Maybe London and Juolevi recover and have a decent run.

The guy who probably is ready to turn pro is Brisebois.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, JamesB said:

This is a joke, right. (Except I am worried that Benning is desparate enough to try it.)

The AHL is not as crazy as the NHL for Juolevi, but still does not make sense. I have not seen a lot of Juolevi but have seen the one televised playoff game, a regular season televised game, some highlights and the WJC. He was in no way a standout in anything I have seen. And of course his numbers this year are almost identical to last year (actually slightly worse). And he is not among the six finalists at the top D in the OHL this year (despite being the top player drafted from the OHL last year). I am not trying to re-argue whether he was the right pick last year (although I am in the camp that believes he was the wrong pick).

I am trying to argue that if he plays pro at the end of the season it is just a desperate attempt so tell some season tickets in what so far has apparently been a very disappointing result (which is hardly surprising given the Canucks are probably even worse this year than they were last year). He has in no way earned a legitimate shot on the Canucks to end the season or even to play in Utica.

After being on teams that won the WJC and the Memorial Cup last year, Juolevi was supposed to take leadership positions on those teams this year. Finland was embarrassingly bad at the WJC and if London loses in the first round of the playoffs in the OHL that will be another embarrassing result. 

In any case, London is not eliminated yet. Maybe London and Juolevi recover and have a decent run.

The guy who probably is ready to turn pro is Brisebois.

no joke at all. I can very much see Juolevi being brought in for spot duty in a game or 2. better than sitting in the press box under Green.

you cant blame WJC and Londons eventual 1st rnd bounce on OJ. that Finnish team was awesome the year before and was a shell of its former self the next year.

listening to many scout types, media types and people around London, they are all aware of his spot on that team and are still quite impressed. its not like HE was the one constantly scored on.

Regardless tho....he deserves a taste of NHL/AHL soon

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I agree and there really is no excuse for it this time. The Knights are a first class organization for developing players. There is pro level coaching and they have the best facilities. It is looking increasingly likely that Juolevi won't be ready for the NHL next season. If he fails to prove that he is conclusively better than guys like Tryamkin and Hutton then they should send him back for another year of junior. The timeline for defenseman is different than that of a forward.

• Upvote 1

Juolevi won't be on the Knights next year. He just looks bored and even their analyst/reporter thinks he will move on. Wont mind him being on the Canucks next year but think overseas would be better for his development. Canucks are absolutely going to suck next year so it might be better to keep our promising prospects in different places rather then on a losing team next year.

• Upvote 1

Just now, RetroCanuck said:

Juolevi won't be on the Knights next year. He just looks bored and even their analyst/reporter thinks he will move on. Wont mind him being on the Canucks next year but think overseas would be better for his development. Canucks are absolutely going to suck next year so it might be better to keep our promising prospects in different places rather then on a losing team next year.

I can't see Juolevi being rushed to the NHL though and it's either the Canucks or London. Our d corps is too crowded even if we trade one guy this summer. I know it sucks but Juolevi is probably gonna fall victim to the dumb chl age rule (not being eligible for the AHL)