The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

1 hour ago, HC20.0 said:

Saw shades of 2011 Hamhuis/Matthias Ohlund in his performance this year. As soon as the puck hit his stick, it was out of his zone. Just can't get over the amount of hockey IQ this kid has. His way of just slowing down the game to play a fantastic defensive game is just uncanny. He's special guys, and we're lucky to have this kid. I don't think Juolevi is going put up many points, but he might very well be one of the best defensemen we'll ever have. Like a better Ohlund. 

I think he'll put up good assist nùmbers especially on the powerplay. 40+ assists once he's ready for big minutes. He sees the ice and passes so well. 

13 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I am not so sure.   He is doing exactly that (putting up many points) in his first year as a professional.   He put up points in the CHL.   He will not be an Erik K or similar but few are.   He has more offensive upside than any current Canuck Dman and he could easily be a 40-50 point sort of player once the team gels with all the pieces in a few years.   He has great offensive instincts and that isn't something that can be taught but is something that can be transferred to each succeeding level of play.   

I have been high on this kid since the first time I saw him at a London Knights camp and remain so.   He has grown (physically) an awful lot over past two years and is figuring out what to do with this body and you can see it coming every day.   He has gone from a kid to a man and I firmly believe he will make many in Vancouver wonder why on earth they were ever concerned about this draft choice.

Bingo.

His hockey IQ, offensive instincts and passing are on another level, as long as he's playing with other elite players that can read his plays, he'll put up the points. I'd definitely be comfortable with him manning the point between Boeser and Pettersson on PP1 moving forward.

Heiskanen was a big disappointment this tournament. I guess since he's not our 3rd overall pick, so he gets a slide right?

The Finnish team overall were not that fast. Their slow speed was exposed a few times by the US.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Heiskanen was a big disappointment this tournament. I guess since he's not our 3rd overall pick, so he gets a slide right?

The Finnish team overall were not that fast. Their slow speed was exposed a few times by the US.

Heisknan is a year younger than OJ and reminded me of OJ last year. Just goes to show that fans need to be patient with these young kids. 

Edited by rekker
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

I think that's a bit dramatic to say he was a big dissapointment, he wasn't bad out there. He played steady reliable mostly mistake free defense. However there was a lot of hype coming out of Finland from his play out there so I did expect him to dominate more but he wasn't bad, he just wasn't dominant

2 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Not a big disappointment at all. It's a short tournament, you should never expect anything. 

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yeah yeah, but how good was his slew-footing, slashing, and elbowing to the head?  According to the "objective and balanced" observers, those are the marks of a truly effective and quality NHL player.

wwgpt.jpg

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, TheYjUstMaKeYoUwooZy said:

Just like the start of his season in Europe.  He has a lot of skill and thinks so far ahead of everyone he plays with and against.... but he has to learn those player first.  And it's a sign of his maturity that he plays a safe game until he learns what his teammates and opponents are going to do.  Super pumped for this kid

You make a great point. In the first few games, he was quite conservative in his play. Stayed high in the offensive zone and played quite low and central defensively. But after a few games, he started to ramp things up. Almost like he needed those first few games to really understand his teammates and be able to predict where they’d be and when he’d have cover to take chances and be more aggressive. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cyoung said:

IV been saying we won't get a top 10 pick since the summer. But lately I feel it might be a possibility :/ haha

Agreed. I want to see the team compete as much as anyone.....but a top pick dman, Dahlin or whoever is next in the draft for D is a huge pice of the puzzle.

Edited by rekker