The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

45 minutes ago, khay said:

I thought Juolevi had a good game against the Swedes. Good defensively, broke up plays. Made good first passes and shower great vision to recognize passing options. But no pp time so it was hard to assess him fully. In fact, he didn't play a whole lot, which was unsatisfying.

I think Juolevi is a real smart player. He was constantly talking to the coaches during the game. My one concern is that he did not seem like the type of player that wants the puck on his stick to drive the play. 

I think OJ, EP, Bo, and Boeser will be great together. OJ can transition the puck up to EP or Bo, who can drive the puck and make things happen with the puck. Boeser can finish. 

My view on dmen is that being the drivers of a play isn't their job and, in fact, it often puts them wildly out of position.  Their job is win the puck battle and make a good, quick first pass to transition to attack and let the fwds drive the play.

Just now, stawns said:

My view on dmen is that being the drivers of a play isn't their job and, in fact, it often puts them wildly out of position.  Their job is win the puck battle and make a good, quick first pass to transition to attack and let the fwds drive the play.

Yeah for that reason I think Juolevi is going to be great. Juolevi has great vision and a very sharp shot. We are looking at defensively responsible PMD that can QB the powerplay. In fact, Salo would be my projection for OJ. Solid defensively, can move the puck, skates well, and shoots well (Salo the slapper, OJ the wrister being the difference).

But in case anyone was expecting him to be a driver from the backend, like Karlsson, Doughty, and etc, well, I don't think Juolevi will quite turn out that way. I don't want to speak too soon but that's my impression so far.

1 minute ago, khay said:

Yeah for that reason I think Juolevi is going to be great. Juolevi has great vision and a very sharp shot. We are looking at defensively responsible PMD that can QB the powerplay. In fact, Salo would be my projection for OJ. Solid defensively, can move the puck, skates well, and shoots well (Salo the slapper, OJ the wrister being the difference).

But in case anyone was expecting him to be a driver from the backend, like Karlsson, Doughty, and etc, well, I don't think Juolevi will quite turn out that way. I don't want to speak too soon but that's my impression so far.

I'd be over the moon if OJ is as effective as Salo.

3 hours ago, stawns said:

Sounds like the typical beer league forward strategy.

from watching Olli in the past, he does do a good job of jumping into the play to draw opposing players to him and either passing off to an open man or firing off a wrister for a tip-in or rebound shot, all this while not getting caught out of position defensively... sounds good to me.  also good with his gap control in the neutral zone and chasing down pucks in his end and moving them up ice.

4 minutes ago, SuitnTie said:

Man that’s disappointing. Hope this fires him up and comes to training camp ready to go. We need Olli to be that top 4 D. 

I hope he gets some rest and comes prepared for rookie and then main camp with some fire in belly.   He had a long season and besides being Finland's best Dman (and arguably best player) at WJC, he rose to a top pairing guy in the playoffs and saved some of his best hockey of the year for their hardest and most important games.    He went from being a guy who needed to have some physical maturation last fall to a very big and mobile Dman with poise and lack of panic.    Can't wait to see him in NHL!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SuitnTie said:

Man that’s disappointing. Hope this fires him up and comes to training camp ready to go. We need Olli to be that top 4 D. 

Hutton, Stecher, Guddy, MDZ, Edler, Tanev, Biega, are all under contract. So unless we make a trade OJ will really need to show up for camp to earn himself a spot

1 hour ago, SuitnTie said:

Unfortunate. At least he has more time off to train and improve his game. 

Besides McEneny, Juolevi would be the best D-man in Utica.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I hope he gets some rest and comes prepared for rookie and then main camp with some fire in belly.   He had a long season and besides being Finland's best Dman (and arguably best player) at WJC, he rose to a top pairing guy in the playoffs and saved some of his best hockey of the year for their hardest and most important games.    He went from being a guy who needed to have some physical maturation last fall to a very big and mobile Dman with poise and lack of panic.    Can't wait to see him in NHL!

with all that going for him why do you think he didn't make the cut over Heiskanen?