The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

30 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Really praying this kid has some things swing his way for once. He has such a great mind for the game, it would be a shame if these injuries continue.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

On 6/10/2019 at 10:42 AM, cyoung said:

Really praying this kid has some things swing his way for once. He has such a great mind for the game, it would be a shame if these injuries continue.

Being able to stay healthy is a challenge to his already young career. Hoping, like you, that he gets some things going his way this season...he needs it. 

2 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Oli has been skating for 4 days...no injuries to report...he is on a roll...!

I am looking forward to him proving many around here to be wrong...this is the year he comes into his own....!

Proving who wrong exactly?

You are the one saying he will be a top pairing D by Xmas. Everyone else is just tempering their expectations.

Funny stuff.  Read the first few pages and there was mixed reactions on passing MT and picking OJ, some were stoked, one guy said he was done with this team and cya.....

It’s still not a foregone conclusion that he will make the team and excel, or get injured ten games in and back to the infirmary.

One thing is for sure he’s got the power to either turn our defense around entirely OR become the worst pick in Bennings tenure and arguably one of the worst picks ever given his draft slot, and that we had the pick of the crop of defenseman OR a slam dunk in MT (who’s about to sign a 7-7.5 x 8 contract with CAL, and has already played three great seasons of NHL hockey ... on the SECOND line ffs).  

Like it or not OJ plays a big part in our future for better or worse literally.   If he can reach his peak and be a Vlasic like player then Benning is a frigging genius, because MT would have made us a playoff team possibly already and we’d never got EP or Hughes.   If he doesn’t then what a shame....my guess is it will be somewhere in between ... could be another Pouilet too.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

You are the one saying he will be a top pairing D by Xmas. Everyone else is just tempering their expectations.

Yep.  Mine were tempered alright ... like almost threw the remote after MT who most thought wouldn’t make it to us, dropped on our lap... and made me ok with PLD gone (who is was really hoping for) .... now I’m just hoping he will be better then Hutton.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

Yep.  Mine were tempered alright ... like almost threw the remote after MT who most thought wouldn’t make it to us, dropped on our lap... and made me ok with PLD gone (who is was really hoping for) .... now I’m just hoping he will be better then Hutton.  

I thought for sure we were take MT too.  Wasn’t really disappointed though until I saw how good M.t did in Calgary - a team a really hate :sick:

i still have high hopes fir OJ though.  He’s s big boy, who can move the puck with his feet or off his stick.  Plus he’s great on the PP.  kid does have a very high ceiling.  Big boy with those skills can be a number one D man, who eats big minutes in all situations.  Fingers, eyes, and legs crossed.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Heck, at best he will be our 2nd pairing at Christmas and unfortunately for him, he will be stalled out as a top 4 LHD for the rest of his time in Vancouver thru no fault if his own.  

Waste of a pick, trolls will argue, we could have had Tkachuk!!!!!!   

Damn that Quinn Hughez kid....

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Jim Benning on Olli Juolevi:

“Juolevi is right on schedule. He’s kept up with his physical therapy and should be ready to go at training camp. Depending how Juolevi looks at camp, if he’s good enough to make the team, we will make space for him.”

Edler

Hughes

OJ

Where does Hutton fit in if this is our left side?  Would Hughes play the right side?  I think Green had Hughes play right side some in those games at the end of last season.  

On 6/14/2019 at 10:44 PM, Alflives said:

I thought for sure we were take MT too.  Wasn’t really disappointed though until I saw how good M.t did in Calgary - a team a really hate :sick:

i still have high hopes fir OJ though.  He’s s big boy, who can move the puck with his feet or off his stick.  Plus he’s great on the PP.  kid does have a very high ceiling.  Big boy with those skills can be a number one D man, who eats big minutes in all situations.  Fingers, eyes, and legs crossed.

I see Roman Josi 2.0. I have no problem with that 

56 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Edler

Hughes

OJ

Where does Hutton fit in if this is our left side?  Would Hughes play the right side?  I think Green had Hughes play right side some in those games at the end of last season.  

I think he starts in Utica regardless. They pump up Hutton’s ice time, give him a lot of PP time to juice his numbers and then he’s moved. I’ve always seen Hutton as the odd man out. He’s a solid kid and a solid dman, but he’s really not great at anything. Not an offensive dynamo but solid, not physical but can use his size, not a defensive expert but again all around pretty good. Lots of room in the league for him but he’s a 4/5 tweener. If OJ is ready, he’s ready for third pairing and needs to develop into a top 4 for when Eddie slows down. He won’t get that chance with Hutton around. Unless of course they decide to prepare QH to play his career on the right side.

We already have some solid 3rd pair LDs waiting in the wings in Sautner and Brisbois who also want a shot, are ready and are cheaper. 

Hutton will be moved by game 20 if OJ shows he’s really ready.

Edited by 18W-40C-6W
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

I think he starts in Utica regardless. They pump up Hutton’s ice time, give him a lot of PP time to juice his numbers and then he’s moved. I’ve always seen Hutton as the odd man out. He’s a solid kid and a solid dman, but he’s really not great at anything. Not an offensive dynamo but solid, not physical but can use his size, not a defensive expert but again all around pretty good. Lots of room in the league for him but he’s a 4/5 tweener. If OJ is ready, he’s ready for third pairing and needs to develop into a top 4 for when Eddie slows down. He won’t get that chance with Hutton around. Unless of course they decide to prepare QH to play his career on the right side.

We already have some solid 3rd pair LDs waiting in the wings in Sautner and Brisbois who also want a shot, are ready and are cheaper. 

Hutton will be moved by game 20 if OJ shows he’s really ready.

I think Hutton's moved before the end of July.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think Hutton's moved before the end of July.

If we sign Gardiner, then Hutton is definitely gone.  If we sign Meyers or another right side D, I think we need to keep Hutton.  Who would play Edler's minutes when Edler gets injured?  (Edler has missed games over the last 4 seasons.)

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If we sign Gardiner, then Hutton is definitely gone.  If we sign Meyers or another right side D, I think we need to keep Hutton.  Who would play Edler's minutes when Edler gets injured?  (Edler has missed games over the last 4 seasons.)

That's actually funny, because it's true sadly. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Gardiner and Myers aren't the only two defensemen who will be available, and Benning hasn't ruled out trading for one.

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Gardiner and Myers aren't the only two defensemen who will be available, and Benning hasn't ruled out trading for one.

Both true.  A top four right shot (right side) D man is not cheap in the UFA market, or in trade.  I think Hughes will play right side for us, but we need a big boy there too.