The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

Choosing winners does have merit especially players that play integral roles on those teams that won.

Horvat + Vilardi + Juolevi are winners that's for sure

+ Stecher, Boeser but I think you referred to them already perhaps? 

Edited by PlanB
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

If Heiskanen falls to our pick at 5 and Vilardi and Glass are off the board I could definitely see Benning considering him. A Juolevi-Heiskanen would be our top everything unit for the next decade+. That unit would have excellent shutdown, puck moving, and offensive ability.

That said, I don't know how the fan base would react picking a defenseman at 5 two years in a row when there are some high ceiling offensive prospects on the board like Pettersson, Mittelstadt, Necas, and Tippett. 

If Heiskanen were to be available at 5 I think the right move for Benning would be to trade picks with Buffalo who holds the 8th pick and get another asset. Buffalo is in need of defensemen and if they can get LHD Heiskanen they could pair him with RHD Ristolainen who is Finnish as well. That would allow us to pick up an extra pick or prospect while still staying in a position to draft one of Pettersson, Mittelstadt, or Necas.

If Vilardi and Glass are off the board..I would hope that JB would take Heiskanen....You only have to look at the Sergachev for Drouin trade, to see how much currency a potential top pairing Dman holds.

• Upvote 2

My final top 10:

Nico Hischier

Nolan Patrick

Casey Middelstadt

Cody Glass

Timothy Liljegrin

Martin Necas

Cale Makar

Elias Pettersson

Miro Heiskanen

Gabe Vilardi

Here's hoping the Canucks can add another pick in there (and/or some later 1sts) and grab 2 of them.

Just now, J.R. said:

My final top 10:

Nico Hischier

Nolan Patrick

Casey Middelstadt

Cody Glass

Timothy Liljegrin

Martin Necas

Cale Makar

Elias Pettersson

Miro Heiskanen

Gabe Vilardi

Here's hoping the Canucks can add another pick in there (and/or some later 1sts) and grab 2 of them.

Would you think Vegas would take the Sedin's for a couple of 2nd or 3rd round picks?

I sure hope draft Cody Glass 6'2 185lbs sosomuch talent..Glass puts up 92points age 17yrs old on a weaker Winterhawks team.

Glass lead team in scoring, I feel Glass with be 6'3, 210 when finished growing..

In 2 years he will be a very good player being a top centre on NHL team.

Really want Cody Glass with #5 pick...Or if we get #3 pick still take CODY GLASS....

This young man is going to dazzle fans with amazing natural talent..

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I sure hope draft Cody Glass 6'2 185lbs sosomuch talent..Glass puts up 92points age 17yrs old on a weaker Winterhawks team.

Glass lead team in scoring, I feel Glass with be 6'3, 210 when finished growing..

Really want Cody Glass with #5 pick...Or if we get #3 pick still take CODY GLASS....

I heard him interview on 1040.  He said he's still growing.  Has a brother 6'6" and dad 6'4"

12 hours ago, Bo53 said:

Now that there are no trades until after the expansion draft, are we hoping that no one takes Sbisa so that Tanev is still marketable?  I can't see JB trading Tanev after losing Tryamkin and Sbisa.  Maybe because nothing has happened yet, it won't happen at all...maybe 3rd and 5th was a pipe dream:( someone tell me I'm wrong

Canucks fans will try to figure out how to get all of the top 5 picks. It's fun to dream. I also can't see JB trading Tanev at this time, unless it would vault him into the top 3, but we would lose the #5. Is it worth it? I don't think so. Who can say that Glass won't be better than Vilardi? Or that Makar won't be better than Heiskanen? Or that Necas won't be better than Mttelstadt? The Canucks would basically be giving Tanev away if they moved up 2 spots. I'd rather they trade him at the TDL for more picks and a prospect (when they're out of a playoff a spot). Who knows, maybe Tanev isn't the D that will be traded.

Canucks need a #1-2C more than anything. The future has them with Horvat and Gaudette. Not good enough. I think they draft Glass at #5, and JB may try to get another mid-1st to draft Pettersson. (eg. Hutton and the #55) Glass can also play wing, if needed. They signed Holm (LD), so makes sense to me that if they trade a D, it'll be Hutton.

• Upvote 1

I don't care who they pick as long as they turn out to be a 1st line center or a top defenseman who can play the powerplay. The only reason our powerplay has struggled is we lack the threat on the point. Teams know that they can double team the Sedins cause the shot from the point won't be lethal. My preference as I'm sure you all know by now is Pettersson or Heiskanen. Both players, if they reach their potential, could be the best players out of this draft. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, R3aL said:

Vilardi + Glass/Pettersson

Would be an amazing haul.

Dahlen-Glass/Pettersson-Boeser

Baerstchi-Horvat-Vilardi

Goldobin-Gaudette-Virtanen

i would be down with that

I'd prefer one of Vilardi/Glass, and then Mittlestadt. Since Vilardi played wing all year, I would draft Mittlestadt with the 3rd overall and Vilardi with the 5th overall:

Dahlen/Mittlestadt/Boeser -Offensive line

Baertschi/Horvat/Vilardi - Defensive line 

1 minute ago, Odd. said:

I'd prefer one of Vilardi/Glass, and then Mittlestadt. Since Vilardi played wing all year, I would draft Mittlestadt with the 3rd overall and Vilardi with the 5th overall:

Dahlen/Mittlestadt/Boeser -Offensive line

Baertschi/Horvat/Vilardi - Defensive line 

Vilardi is a natural C. Only played wing last year other than that C growing up and when he started in WHL. Spitfires just had too much depth down middle.

59 minutes ago, wildcam said:

If Glass is still available at #5...I believe thats who the Canucks will pick....If Glass is not available,that's anybody guess.

• Upvote 2

The two players the Canucks really seem interested in are Glass and Pettersson. I'm surprised Vilardi hasn't been mentioned much. I wonder if Glass is available at #5 JB takes him, but what if Glass goes at #3 and Heiskanen at #4? Would JB take Pettersson over Vilardi? I'd be a bit confused over that choice. CANUCKS needs size and skill up the middle.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Hirshier

Patrick

Vilardi

Glass

Heiskanen

Petrersson

Makar

Id be stoked with any of these guys! Guaranteed at least one falls in our laps. Really hoping for a Tanev trade and another top ten pick

Yeah I'd even add Mittelstadt to that list and be happy with either guy. Pretty much any top 10 ranked guy that isn't Tippett will do it for me lol.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

The two players the Canucks really seem interested in are Glass and Pettersson. I'm surprised Vilardi hasn't been mentioned much. I wonder if Glass is available at #5 JB takes him, but what if Glass goes at #3 and Heiskanen at #4? Would JB take Pettersson over Vilardi? I'd be a bit confused over that choice. CANUCKS needs size and skill up the middle.

I wonder if the lack of talk is just because they feel Vilardi played himself out of the Canucks range. I do think Pettersson will be the better offensive player out of the two. However Vilardi the better playoff player which is what it's all about is it not. I am a huge Pettersson fan but if I had the choice I'd lean to taking Vilardi as it stands right now.

• Upvote 1