The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

Patrick will fall this year, hopefully to us!  If not Patrick I really like Mittlestad.  Fast, big and strong. Plays defense like Bo Horvat but has way better speed at the same age, very good skater.  He plays a high tempo game and has a motor that doesn't quit.  His offense instincts and talents are a notch above Bo's. 

We will likely be picking in his range and I think he could be the ideal Center to play here. 

If his two way skills are as advertised, he would be able to make the jump to the NHL quickly. 

Honestly, he looks to be a sure thing to play in the NHL, just wonder how high his ceiling is. 

I am not interested the pure offensive center. Our team is being built from the net out, defense is highly valued. Depth is as well. He need bigger bodies in key positions to compete in the west. 

We need larger two way centers that can do it all. Kill penalties, drive play, score and pass. Bo is doing that, Sutter can do it, just not as well, if Mittlestad was on the roster we could roll four lines, shut down other teams top players, counter attack and grind teams into the ground in the playoffs. 

After seening the twins power play success and failure, I want the team to run the PP from the point again with two defenders that can both shoot and pass.  The half board PP is over for me. OJ can do that, Stecher can do that, Hutton can do that, and hopefully Trymakin can be developed into a Chara like player as well. 

Skilled wingers with speed are easier to Aquire.  We already have a few, hopefully our PF develops and we could have a dynamic team blessed with size and speed.  Let's get a faster and more offense driven version of Bo Horvat and run other teams ragged. 

EW

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I'm just wondering if the Canucks find themselves at a spot where Liljegren is available and they pass on him because now our weakness for prospects is a top end centre. 

Our weakness is more than just at centre.  We need multiple prospects at each position up front, which we don't have.  I was listening to the pre game show last night and the Flames guy said they have three prospects fighting it out for one centre spot.  That's the kind of depth we don't have. 

47 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I'm just wondering if the Canucks find themselves at a spot where Liljegren is available and they pass on him because now our weakness for prospects is a top end centre. 

I have no problem taking Liljegren if he somehow falls to around pick 5 and we're there, if we're picking earlier, I would rather take a centre.  Somebody I like for an early second is Henri Jokiharju. Anyone like him for an early second if he's around?

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

JB will take the who he thinks is BPA no matter what.  At least in the top rounds. If we take Liljegren, right on. As

long as there is no off the board pick in the top 5-10. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Our weakness is more than just at centre.  We need multiple prospects at each position up front, which we don't have.  I was listening to the pre game show last night and the Flames guy said they have three prospects fighting it out for one centre spot.  That's the kind of depth we don't have. 

That is true, but give it one more year, two max and you will see the depth of the prospect rise considerably. 

At the end of the 2014 season our defense was Hamhuis, Edler, Bieska, Garrison, Tanev and Stanton. Alberts career was ended  and Yann Sauve and Frank Corrado were our top defensive prospects. That was two seasons and half seasons ago. 

Hamhuis, Bieska and Garrison were getting past their prime, Edler too, prematurely. Tanev was the only young defender of promise. 

Oh Eddie Lack

was our Starter and Markstrom

was a huge question mark. 

Now we have Edler, Tanev, Hutton, Gudbranson, Sbisa, Stecher and Trymakin. We have Juolevi, Brisbiois Subban and Pedan etc in the pipeline. 

That is a defence with the average age of 24 ish. Edler is the only guy over thirty. Tanev is 27 and all the rest are 25 or younger. 

In two years a lot has happened, it's not sexy or exciting.  In a year or two, that defence will make things very tough on the likes of Johnny hockey and McDavid. 

JB stated a few times, he is building from the net out. Markstrom 25, can play, Demko is the next great white hope and Gartieg can back him up in a few years. 

Check. 

Defence, Check. 

He has also good forwards in the mix, Boeser Gaudette and Lockwood are all in college or we would be seeing them competing for spots on our roster in the AHL.

Forwards are next.  

EW

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Patrick will fall this year, hopefully to us!  If not Patrick I really like Mittlestad.  Fast, big and strong. Plays defense like Bo Horvat but has way better speed at the same age, very good skater.  He plays a high tempo game and has a motor that doesn't quit.  His offense instincts and talents are a notch above Bo's. 

We will likely be picking in his range and I think he could be the ideal Center to play here. 

If his two way skills are as advertised, he would be able to make the jump to the NHL quickly. 

Honestly, he looks to be a sure thing to play in the NHL, just wonder how high his ceiling is. 

I am not interested the pure offensive center. Our team is being built from the net out, defense is highly valued. Depth is as well. He need bigger bodies in key positions to compete in the west. 

We need larger two way centers that can do it all. Kill penalties, drive play, score and pass. Bo is doing that, Sutter can do it, just not as well, if Mittlestad was on the roster we could roll four lines, shut down other teams top players, counter attack and grind teams into the ground in the playoffs. 

After seening the twins power play success and failure, I want the team to run the PP from the point again with two defenders that can both shoot and pass.  The half board PP is over for me. OJ can do that, Stecher can do that, Hutton can do that, and hopefully Trymakin can be developed into a Chara like player as well. 

Skilled wingers with speed are easier to Aquire.  We already have a few, hopefully our PF develops and we could have a dynamic team blessed with size and speed.  Let's get a faster and more offense driven version of Bo Horvat and run other teams ragged. 

EW

I like mittelstadt a lot and I think he is a better player than Nolan.

mittelstadt is dynamic and faster than Nolan just as good offensively and better defensively.

9 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

1 hour ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

That is true, but give it one more year, two max and you will see the depth of the prospect rise considerably. 

At the end of the 2014 season our defense was Hamhuis, Edler, Bieska, Garrison, Tanev and Stanton. Alberts career was ended  and Yann Sauve and Frank Corrado were our top defensive prospects. That was two seasons and half seasons ago. 

Hamhuis, Bieska and Garrison were getting past their prime, Edler too, prematurely. Tanev was the only young defender of promise. 

Oh Eddie Lack

Now we have Edler, Tanev, Hutton, Gudbranson, Sbisa, Stecher and Trymakin. We have Juolevi, Brisbiois Subban and Pedan etc in the pipeline. 

That is a defence with the average age of 24 ish. Edler is the only guy over thirty. Tanev is 27 and all the rest are 25 or younger. 

In two years a lot has happened, it's not sexy or exciting.  In a year or two, that defence will make things very tough on the likes of Johnny hockey and McDavid. 

JB stated a few times, he is building from the net out. Markstrom 25, can play, Demko is the next great white hope and Gartieg can back him up in a few years. 

Check. 

Defence, Check. 

He has also good forwards in the mix, Boeser Gaudette and Lockwood are all in college or we would be seeing them competing for spots on our roster in the AHL.

Forwards are next.  

EW

This is an EXCELLENT post!

Thank you for making an old man a bit more of a believer.  (I'm already a Belieber;)

1 hour ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Oh Eddie Lack

Check. 

Defence, Check. 

Forwards are next.  

EW

Good summary. Your key point IMO is that it does take time. Also fans slot players into positions and then expect immediate results. That does not happen that often. GM's often misread the emotional makeup of players which can limit their ability to make the NHL. Players drafted below the 2nd Round are educated guesses of which few are right. I agree that Benning has put a d-core base in place and can now draft forwards.

• Upvote 1

Canucks picks in 2017 are:

1. Canucks
  2. Canucks, (Columbus 2017 or 2018 in compensation for signing Tortorella)
  3. Canucks
  4. Canucks - conditional, may go to Edmonton based on Larsen's performance, 4th or 5th
  5. Canucks - conditional, may go to Edmonton based on Larsen's performance, 4th or 5th
  6. no pick, went to Rangers in Etem trade for Jensen
  7. Canucks

So as of today, the Canucks likely pick in rounds 1, 2, 3, 4, 7.......5 picks total

Edited by Crabcakes

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

Due to the lack of exposure I feel like after these world juniors Liljegren will be looked at on everybody's list as a top 2 in this upcoming draft. Unless we're picking Nolan Patrick if we have the chance to take Liljegren and pass on him I'll be very sad.

There are so many good centre prospects this year no matter where we end up in the draft, right now the team is lacking elite centre prospects so there's no reason why we should delay and pick up another Dman in liljegren even though a Juolevi-Liljrgren pairing would look amazing. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Canucks picks are:

1. Canucks
  3. Canucks
  4. Canucks - conditional, may go to Edmonton based on Larsen's performance, 4th or 5th
  5. Canucks - conditional, may go to Edmonton based on Larsen's performance, 4th or 5th
  7. Canucks

Yeh!  We are rebuilding through the draftB)

3 minutes ago, numb3r 16 said:

There are so many good centre prospects this year no matter where we end up in the draft, right now the team is lacking elite centre prospects so there's no reason why we should delay and pick up another Dman in liljegren even though a Juolevi-Liljrgren pairing would look amazing. 

Was going to post something similar myself.  I think JB will take the best centre available in the 1st round.

Just now, Crabcakes said:

Was going to post something similar myself.  I think JB will take the best centre available in the 1st round.

How come there is no love for Herchier?  Maybe he plays wing in the NHL, but he's putting up ridiculous points in the Q.

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How come there is no love for Herchier?  Maybe he plays wing in the NHL, but he's putting up ridiculous points in the Q.

Oh there is lots of love for Hischier right now.  If he continues he will be top of every draft rankings.  Keep in mind he's in his first season in NA. That's pretty impressive 

23 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Canucks picks in 2017 are:

1. Canucks
  3. Canucks
  7. Canucks

So as of today, the Canucks likely pick in rounds 1, 2, 3, 4, 7.......5 picks total

CBJ will probably compensate us this year. I mean their 2nd rounder is basically a 3rd round pick.