The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

Mittlestadt is a dynamic skater. Maybe his power comes from his lower-body, like Virtanen. As long as he can produce the way he does on the ice, I really couldn't careless. Still my top pick.

Also interesting to see that the Canucks didnt interview Timothy Liljegren. That sucks, I had recently warmed up to him. So now that he's out of the equation, if we're selecting a defenseman, it would have to be Heiskanen or Makar. 

However, all signs point to Benning grabbing a playmaking center rather than a defenseman. I'd be glad with any of Mittlestadt/Glass/Petterson in that order. Petterson had some pretty good combine results too. 

Mittlestadt is my top pick, but I have a feeling Benning is selecting Cody Glass on draft day. 

23 hours ago, Odd. said:

Yeah, I wouldnt select Heiskanen at 3rd overall. 

I'm really hoping we can get the 3rd overall pick without having to trade our 5th overall pick. Would allow us to pick a Center and a defenseman (for me Mittlestadt and Liljegren).

I heard somewhere on Sirius XM Radio with Hockey Prospects Shane Malloy, Heiskanen answered a question and said he think he's the best Dman in this draft. Take that for what it's worth. If we only had the 5th OA and don't acquire the 3rd, I think it's either Glass/Necas to fill that C void on the team.

Edited by GODSRAGE

3 hours ago, cuporbust said:

In other news , Casey Mittelstadt had a horrible day. That's gota be embarrassing. 

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/top-5-draft-prospect-fails-combine-miserably

:unsure:

Screenshot_2017-06-03-22-13-56-1.png

I know that a lot of posters are laughing about this...but doing a pull up with your palms facing outward is not easy (see above)....Pulling up with palms inward is dramatically easier....In fact,I would bet most of the posters on here couldn't do a pull up either.

7 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

What is there so much negativity towards Rasmussen? Is a 6'5" 205 lb C not a good thing? He's a point-a-game player in the WHL, looks like a man playing against boys. Be a tough guy to move from the front of the net. I wouldn't take him at #5, but I'm curious why some dislike him so much.

That's the thing though, he basically is a man playing against boys. Most kids in the WHL are nowhere near his size so the tale of the tape becomes can he translate his game to the NHL? 

1 hour ago, Honky Cat said:

I know that a lot of posters are laughing about this...but doing a pull up with your palms facing outward is not easy (see above)....Pulling up with palms inward is dramatically easier....In fact,I would bet most of the posters on here couldn't do a pull up either.

It really isn't that hard dude.. Any healthy guy should be able to do a pull-up IMO.

4 hours ago, GODSRAGE said:

I heard somewhere on Sirius XM Radio with Hockey Prospects Shane Malloy, Heiskanen answered a question and said he think he's the best Dman in this draft. Take that for what it's worth. If we only had the 5th OA and don't acquire the 3rd, I think it's either Glass/Necas to fill that C void on the team.

What makes you believe that it could be Necas? Necas is ranked in the majority of draft rankings outside the Top 10. Picking him at #5 doesn't make sense. Trading down to let's say #10 or later would probably be sufficient to land him.

5 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

If I knew I had a fitness testing coming up that was gonna land me my dream job and possibly more money (signing bonus) if I did well. You'd better believe I'd be training hard up to that date. Which is even more baffling on how Mittelstadt did so poorly. It has to be an injury.

The look on the poor kids face lol.  I can't do a pull up but I'm not future nhl star :D

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Both Patrick & Nico look pretty dang fit!  Maybe Nico a little more so, but there is a reason they are top of the heap. Patrick's agility test was really good for a big guy.

cut.jpg

Reminds me of a cross between bench warmers and semi pro :)

11 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

This makes me smile. Do not want Liljegren. I like Mittelstadt but him being a weakling doesn't really get my juices flowing... I say we do whatever it takes to get Vilardi. 

The perfect smoke screen!!! Lol - muahahhaha Lilegren it is baby! :D  jk will see though.  Could be a great cover :) Nux have good Swedish informants. I think we goood as gold!

Scott Matla @scottmatla

Only three teams didn't interview with Timothy Liljegren this week, Pittsburgh,Philadelphia, and Vancouver

1:21 PM - 3 Jun 2017

1 hour ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

What makes you believe that it could be Necas? Necas is ranked in the majority of draft rankings outside the Top 10. Picking him at #5 doesn't make sense. Trading down to let's say #10 or later would probably be sufficient to land him.

The same could be sent about Petterson as well though, but don't be surprised if Benning selects him right.

55 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

The look on the poor kids face lol.  I can't do a pull up but I'm not future nhl star :D

I am comfortable in knowing that Benning will not listen to the bafflegab and misinformation floating around the draft. He has his scouting reports and evaluations. It is always about assessing the personality and skills. I will be quite happy to see a deal for Tanev or Edler or Sbisa that brings back a top draft pick. 

6 hours ago, gurn said:

The caption doesn't say if that was his first attempt or if he had just banged off 3 sets of 20 and was struggling on the last one.  I'd like to know, before forming an opinion about the pic. 

Screenshot_2017-06-04-07-10-49-1.png

5 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

I can do 11. Most people can bang off at least 7-8 palms outward in decent shape. Not being able to do one , and failing at bench is not a great sign. Its unbelievable for a pro athlete actually. Might still be a good player , but teams will look at this no matter what they say to the press.  There are others that couldnt do one pull up either that turned out just fine , but for me its pretty shocking, and kind of funny. 

Edited by cuporbust

35 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

I can do 11. Most people can bang off at least 7-8 palms outward in decent shape. Not being able to do one , and failing at bench is not a great sign. Its unbelievable for a pro athlete actually. Might still be a good player , but teams will look at this no matter what they say to the press.  There are others that couldnt do one pull up either that turned out just fine , but for me its pretty shocking, and kind of funny. 

I had endless discussions about this with a buddy when Bennett couldn't do one. Pullups really have nothing to do with hockey. So it's makes no difference if he can do a pullup or finish the times crossword. However this is supposed to be his dream to play on the nhl. He was well aware a long time ago that he would have to participate in the combine and it looks like he's had ZERO preparation due to his piss poor outing. 

With not alot seperating my picks adter 2 the combine is a tie breaker for me. If come to the conclusion hes not the guy I want on my team.

I think fans make too much out of the combine. Genetics plays a big factor, some mature earlier than others. The combine is just one snapshot of a prospect's physical maturity.

Others have been playing their whole lives with a massive size disadvantage. They have learnt to handle it by being faster and more agile.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Toews said:

I think fans make too much out of the combine. Genetics plays a big factor, some mature earlier than others. The combine is just one snapshot of a prospect's physical maturity.

Others have been playing their whole lives with a massive size disadvantage. They have learnt to handle it by being faster and more agile.

27 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I had endless discussions about this with a buddy when Bennett couldn't do one. Pullups really have nothing to do with hockey. So it's makes no difference if he can do a pullup or finish the times crossword. However this is supposed to be his dream to play on the nhl. He was well aware a long time ago that he would have to participate in the combine and it looks like he's had ZERO preparation due to his piss poor outing. 

With not alot seperating my picks adter 2 the combine is a tie breaker for me. If come to the conclusion hes not the guy I want on my team.

I think you are both right about Casey.  Genetically he is not physically mature, but his poor results shows a lack of preparation and dedication.

Sure let's skip out on an offensive guy because of lack of upper body strength. We've preached Hockey IQ (Virtanen) so let's not give up on him.

He's committed to the University of Minnesota, so we have a great amount of time to let him develop, and assuming he's in a top division college he should have a good gym and lots of practice time. 

We'll freak out over him going to UFA but if he's a top draft pick, he's not wasting an NHL salary just to go UFA.

He might not even be joining our team but I wouldn't skip on him because his lack of pull ups.

• Upvote 1